Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
"Disconnected" Kindle?

Hi folks, I'm not a Kindle fan, I hope I make it out of here alive :P

I have a Cybook Gen 3 which I'm happy with (apart from firmware updates!).

However I've been thinking I might fancy something with a larger screen. So off I went to the comparison matrix and to my horror all the larger devices there have touchscreens. I do not want a touchscreen.

I'm very happy with how I put books on the Gen3, so I've no intention of changing that. But I thought I'd ask you Kindle folks if I could use a Kindle "just like" I use my Gen3. In other words is the wireless connectivity a requirement? Can the reader be run offline? They're not yet out in the UK, but I'm not in any particular rush.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
You don't need the wireless to use the KDX. You can transfer files over a USB cable just fine.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The only thing that the wireless is *required* for is downloading the samples. Amazon does not provide any way to get samples via your computer.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote