Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #46
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
For what it's worth (and with all necessary disclaimers about bricking your 505), I successfully applied the hacks to my 505 by reading translated instructions from:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=ht...&hl=en&ie=UTF8

I extracted the zip to a blank SD, then copied the .img file labeled:
"with new icons, listaniem joystick forward and clocks" (google's bad translation)
as newopt.img over the one on the SD

booted up with the card and flashed.

I've missed the little clock and the standardized menu font size Soooo much since upgrading to the 505. Now I'll have to seriously consider whether I really want to upgrade to the new firmware.
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #47
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
is there anyway to change the russian font to some other language font?

for example japanese, chinese , etc ?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #48
burbad
burbad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, Kindle DX
I have also successfully applied the unified font in book menus, the clock, and the new icons to my 500 (several months ago) and now my 505 (earlier tonight). I missed my clock, and the font being unified in book lists so much i just went for broke. No problems to report. Categories are still working as intended.
burbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:06 AM   #49
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
This sooo coool!
I finally got my joystick and my icons back, it feels like coming home! Why was this treasure buried so long? Thank you so much!
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have the new icons, the clock, and the smaller unified font installed now. I don't need the joystick hack due to the new layout for the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only hack I want next but will wait till the next firware is to replace Dutch Roman BT with Times New Roman.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #52
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
If Sony provides good PDF display functions, it will make the reader more attractive for businesses. Many businesses have reference documents in non-DRM PDF. Being able to carry all references w/o breaking someone's back hauling paper is very attractive. Moreover for documents that change frequently being able to eliminate all the hassles associated with paper updates can be a money saver too. Yes, folks can access these business docs over the net when they can get to the net, but the net isn't always available. I think the Sony reader is a much better tool for carrying business references than PDA,s. Just a thought for any Sony folks monitoring this forum. You have a great reason to do a good job with PDF display. the PDFs must have good graphic handling to meet business needs.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #53
cewood
cewood began at the beginning.

Device: **Product researching!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
If Sony provides good PDF display functions, it will make the reader more attractive for businesses. Many businesses have reference documents in non-DRM PDF. Being able to carry all references w/o breaking someone's back hauling paper is very attractive. Moreover for documents that change frequently being able to eliminate all the hassles associated with paper updates can be a money saver too. Yes, folks can access these business docs over the net when they can get to the net, but the net isn't always available. I think the Sony reader is a much better tool for carrying business references than PDA,s. Just a thought for any Sony folks monitoring this forum. You have a great reason to do a good job with PDF display. the PDFs must have good graphic handling to meet business needs.
I completely agree, atm I am seriously considering purchasing a PRS-505 myself to use for work so that I can read hardware manuals and configuration guides without having to lug around the actual hard copies. And as Vienna01 pointed out an integral aspect of handling PDF's well is displaying the images nicely so that they are clear and crisp.

However since these are ALL in PDF format I am a little hesitant to make a purchase until I can be assured that there will be some better PDF viewing features in this next update, if in fact this information is correct.

If there was some Sony employee that could verify this it would make quite the difference, I would have thought some information leakage about the update ahead of time would be good PR practice?
cewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #54
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I think that for PDF, particulalry reference PDF, you should be looking at either the iLiad or a tablet PC - you're not going to find what you need when limited to a 6"-eInk display. The eBook readers (Sony/Kindle/Cybook) are very good for what they're aimed at - sequential text - but do less well with detailed images & letter/A4-sized PDFs.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #55
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
Tranuctions of instructions

I don't suppose that somebody who has successfully applied the patch following the translated Russian instructions would be willing to post their own English instructions of what they did to be sure that got a successful installation of the patch...? With all the warnings, I worry about trying to patch the device on the basis of a poor translation of the instructions.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #56
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only hack I want next but will wait till the next firware is to replace Dutch Roman BT with Times New Roman.
I'm with you on that one!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #57
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if you're willing to reload your files onto the device, there is already a way to do this without reflashing.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #58
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Please do share...
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #59
gwynevans
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Please do share...
Sorry, wasn't trying to be cryptic - I was meaning via this method here.

I'd not worry too much about the warning in the first post, by the way, as that was due to me mis-naming the top-level folder and the script's been updated to catch that now!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #60
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Well, dammitall, I went ahead and flashed my 505 anyway. And it worked fine. Now I have the excellent clock display back,and uniform menu fonts.Plus it's Russified as a bonus.(I previously Russified my 500 for a gift--I don't read Russian.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader