Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Giving up the ghost: Paperwhite alternatives thread

(I know at least one person is going to reply and say that I'm wrong to consider alternatives. I won't be responding, but thanks in advance for the input.)

So, it seems that several of us have already gone through several unacceptable Paperwhite units, particularly those of us with 'color blobs'. I've seen some musings about what to do instead, usually involving going back to an older model. I'm curious about what you all specifically plan to do and if anyone has any suggestions.

I don't have much experience with Kindle devices except a year of trouble-free use of my Kindle Keyboard, with a mildly annoying Kandle clip-on light (annoying in its tendency to slip off, and battery usage, not because I minded the lighting). My instinct now is to return my (second) Paperwhite, go back to my KK, and get one of the cases with built-in lighting. I see those too have some issues with the contacts, but I'd love to hear feedback from you guys.

I've tried the Mighty Brite gooseneck-style light, and I found it way too heavy and unwieldy (mine took three batteries, so that didn't help with the weight. maybe there is a better one?).

Are there other good external light solutions?

Is there a specific reason I should consider going to a 4th-gen device instead of my Kindle Keyboard, if I don't have a problem with the display quality?

A sort of secondary idea is waiting for the Kobo Glo to become available in the U.S., but information on when that might be is sketchy, and it seems to have firmware issues from what little I've read. I suppose I'd also consider the Nook glowlight, if it doesn't have color blobs.

Thanks in advance.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I haven't bought the Paperwhite yet, if I'm even going to, but honestly I'm thinking of just waiting until the new batches ship out from the supply line. I think it is most likely some sort of manufacturing error.

The other device I'm considering is the nook glowlight. Tried it out in store today, seemed to like it a lot. The contrast didn't phase me.
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettuceman44 View Post
I haven't bought the Paperwhite yet, if I'm even going to, but honestly I'm thinking of just waiting until the new batches ship out from the supply line. I think it is most likely some sort of manufacturing error.
I hope so, or if it's a design flaw in general, that Amazon will address it in some way. I'm just tired of thinking about it for now.

Quote:
The other device I'm considering is the nook glowlight. Tried it out in store today, seemed to like it a lot. The contrast didn't phase me.
I'm not a person who was hung up on the contrast/resolution claims of the PW, just the built-in lighting. Aside from the light sources themselves, did you find the glowlight lighting to be pretty even/the same color througout?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'll probably just use my Touch if I return my 2nd PW. The reasons is because I already have it.

I use the same big and heavy MightyBright 3-battery model clip on. It is really too big and heavy, so I'll need to find an alternative. I've tried other clip on but none were satisfactory.

When I had a K3 I used it with the official lighted cover. It was okay, but just. It wasn't really as bright as I would have preferred.

I'm wondering if the lighted cover for the Touch is any better. If so and they still sell them I might consider that option.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
lettuceman44
lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lettuceman44 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
I hope so, or if it's a design flaw in general, that Amazon will address it in some way. I'm just tired of thinking about it for now.

I'm not a person who was hung up on the contrast/resolution claims of the PW, just the built-in lighting. Aside from the light sources themselves, did you find the glowlight lighting to be pretty even/the same color througout?
It definitely isn't even. You can tell where the light source comes from. For the most part I'd say most of the screen is even, but the top part is brighter.
The light is also a blueish tint. The paperwhite from the videos I've seen has more even light. However on the nook you can completely turn the light off.

I have to say I didn't find it distracting or anything. The only thing to look out for is to not tear or have a pinhole on the screen, that is when the light gets distracting.

The reason I'm considering the Nook is because I like it better than the Kindle Touch, and since I can turn the glow light off it would be any other normal reader.
The Paperwhite is the e-reader I'm really interested in so I'm waiting to see how things unfold with it.
lettuceman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am really impressed by the SONY PRS T2. Frankly, lights aside, that has the BEST screen. The T1 was comparable to the KT, but the T2 made a significant leap. I am sticking with the PW for the moment, but the T2 is the only reader out there that I find really tempting.
With the cover with built-in-light, it's a very pleasant reading experience.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The K4B is the best one with contrast at the moment in the eInk Kindle line but it depends whether you use the keyboard alot or not. It's also super light and tiny. Perfect for one hand reading. It's faster too compare to the K3. Battery Life is about two weeks.

I've own a K3, K4S and now the K4B. I have no negatives on the K4B but I only use the keyboard for searches.

I own a Mighty Bright travel flex light. 1 AAA battery lasts a very long time and it's weights practically nothing.
I love it but your S.O. in bed might not. My husband wont let me use mine.
The Mighty bright Xtra Flex 2 was too bright and heavy. My husband uses it as his night light.
I own a K3 lighted cover which I think is perfect but sadly he wont let me use it either.

I use a Kindle Fire with Pruss' Screen Dim app to read at night. It works for me. It's about as dim as the PW so I don't get any eye strain. I hear the HD is even better for this.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-09-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just remembered that the K4 models allow for custom added fonts! I hate the thin fonts on most eInk e-readers, so maybe I will get a K4 Black if I return my PW. Sure would miss the touch screen though even though I could use the Touch for that stuff.

EDIT: Sony e-reader are nice, but I'm going to stick to the Kindles because I like Whispersyncing my highlighting et cetera between devices. Plus Amazon has the best bookstore bar none.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
Trauma Doll
Addict

Thanks for responses so far (I'm reading everything that gets posted.) Good to know there is a smaller Mighty Bright (Brite?).

For reference, I've been using the Kandle, although I think mine is an older model than pictured. It's really not too bad, except for batteries. It uses watch-type batteries that you pretty much have two options on:

1) Buy very expensive name-brand ones

2) Buy a whole lot of super cheap import ones that don't last nearly as long

I have a habit of falling asleep while reading, so I went with #2. It's still annoying as you have to haul out a jeweler's screwdriver (they provide one) to swap batteries. Overall it's been 'acceptable', but if I have the refund from my Paperwhite I wouldn't mind trying something more expensive (assuming I keep the Kindle Keyboard rather than go with a different lighted reader). Having the ability to recharge batteries myself would be nice though.

Quote:
I love it but your S.O. in bed might not. My husband wont let me use mine.
We both currently have the Kandle configuration, so we both grudgingly tolerate occasionally being blinded by the other person. (I've gotten in the habit of sleeping with a pillow over my head as I get older anyway.)

Last edited by Trauma Doll; 10-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for responses so far (I'm reading everything that gets posted.) Good to know there is a smaller Mighty Bright (Brite?).

For reference, I've been using the Kandle, although I think mine is an older model than pictured. It's really not too bad, except for batteries. It uses watch-type batteries that you pretty much have two options on:

I have a habit of falling asleep while reading, so I went with #2. It's still annoying as you have to haul out a jeweler's screwdriver (they provide one) to swap batteries. Overall it's been 'acceptable', but if I have the refund from my Paperwhite I wouldn't mind trying something more expensive. Having the ability to recharge batteries myself would be nice though.
If you own a K3 then a lighted cover would be perfect for you. If the person you sleep with is on the right of you. The light turns off when the Kindle is alseep. Maybe they will go on sale again this holiday.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

I have a habit of falling asleep while reading, so I went with #2. It's still annoying as you have to haul out a jeweler's screwdriver (they provide one) to swap batteries. Overall it's been 'acceptable', but if I have the refund from my Paperwhite I wouldn't mind trying something more expensive (assuming I keep the Kindle Keyboard rather than go with a different lighted reader). Having the ability to recharge batteries myself would be nice though.
I tried one of the clip on lights that has a rechargeable battery via USB micro-port. Great concept, worked well, but just as heavy and bulky as the MightyBright (sp?) with 3-batteries.

One thing I don't like about my current MB clip on is that the gooseneck is too easy to move. It needs to be way stiffer.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
Trauma Doll
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you own a K3 then a lighted cover would be perfect for you. If the person you sleep with is on the right of you. The light turns off when the Kindle is alseep. Maybe they will go on sale again this holiday.
I think the price is the reason I never bought one before. My perspective now is "Well, it's still cheaper than a Paperwhite."

Quote:
One thing I don't like about my current MB blip on is that the gooseneck is too easy to move. It needs to be way stiffer.
I did use mine for a few months, and I see to remember that it got more bendy over time. The clip also obscured a lot of whatever reader I was using at the time (I think it was during a period I was briefly borrowing a second gen Nook...there wasn't enough bezel for it).
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
I have the lighted cover for my Kindle Keyboard and as far as lighting up the display goes, I think that it does a good job even though the light source is on the corner. I have only two complaints about it. The first has pretty much nothing to do with the cover directly, but I prefer to hold devices without covers, so obviously I can't do that if I want the light. The second complaint is that since the light shines down and to the left, there's a very narrow angle at which the light will shine onto whatever's on your left side, such as onto whoever's sleeping on your left in bed. You can use the front of the cover to block the light, but obviously it's not ideal. If you don't mind reading with a cover on and if this shining light onto whatever's on your left isn't a big deal, then I completely recommend the lighted cover. The quality's great and I've had no problems with the contacts (I think that only early lighted covers had this problem).

Edit: I see that I took too long in typing and the "light on the left" thing has already been addressed.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I whole heartedly recommend the M-edge eLuminator:

http://www.medgestore.com/products/k...eluminator.psp
It works on one AAA battery that last forever and is very packable. I find the light source bright enough but not too bright, and have gifted it to lots of other (e)bookworms. It works phenomenally with covers that flip up, but there a other ways to attach it with most other covers as well.
I also ordered a few solar booklights that I am waiting for, and can post a review when I get them:

http://www.nokero.com/products/Ed-Solar-Book-Light

I would use the eLuminator and the K4B, but my heart is set on seeing book covers and the cloud, now that I've seen the PW, which is why I was asking about the KT in the other thread. Thing is that I find the Amazon DRM easiest to deal with (I can still access my books when I get a new credit card, hear that, B&N?) and since I read so much, the cheaper prices are a big plus for me. Check out some of the titles on your wishlist at luzme.com for a good price comparison.
If the PW replacements come in defective tomorrow, I'd be stupid to go through this return process again. I have been reading up on the Kobo Glo yesterday, but Kobo book prices are higher.

I am so torn!!

Edited to add: the eLuminator neck is stiff enough to stay put, the light comes in black or dark grey and white, and it shuts itself off after one hour, but flickers first, so you can hit the button to stop it from going dark, and it has two or three light settings (too lazy to go upstairs to check). I also have a few other ones that I never use.

And, yes, the solar light is butt ugly, but I have been using two d.light lanterns for a few weeks and am totally bought on solar lightning. If disaster happens in December, you'll have a $6 booklight, that doubles as a battery charger and flashlight! You just need a micro-usb solar charger and you're all set for the end of the world as we know it. The sad thing is that I am only half joking, while the other half is urging me to buy survial ebooks to load on my kindle

Last edited by xendula; 10-09-2012 at 10:30 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I think the price is the reason I never bought one before. My perspective now is "Well, it's still cheaper than a Paperwhite."
For a long time they were on sale for $19-$25. Maybe we will see that again this year.