Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
ladysveil
ladysveil began at the beginning.

Device: PRT-T1, Story HD (in Brick)
some information? to repair StoryHD freeze or brick

sorry about my english is very low.

i was try to repair freeze from boot of storyhd at iriver c/s of korea.

but failed recovery and find something (three point in PCB<T1, T2, Gnd?>)

iriver's Engineer try to recovery to system area (/dev/mmcblk0p1~3) and bootloader

maybe used sometool (JTAG tool?) the a point in PCB at c/s of iriver.(look at a red box)

i don't know more infomation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG189.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	610.1 KB
ID:	87750  

Last edited by ladysveil; 06-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.
ladysveil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So basically you are saying that iriver customer service (and not you) soldered T1, T2 and GND? It could be the serial console as that needs three pins (one for sending, one for receiving, and gnd).

That would be interesting news, if they actually succeeded debricking the device with it...

I have my doubts though, as the monstrous blob of solder they put on the GND area looks a lot like someone didn't know whatever the heck he was doing. And T1 and T2 are not just one but two pads each. So that doesn't seem right either.

It could be JTAG but there already are labeled JTAG pins on this board (TCK, TDI, TMS, TDO, TRST) which aren't soldered. I tried soldering those but failed because they are so small.

Does anyone else have a debricked Story HD from customer service and would be willing to open it up and make a good picture of the PCB? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143798

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-15-2012 at 10:31 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
ladysveil

So basically you are saying that iriver customer service (and not you) soldered T1, T2 and GND?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the soldered by iriver's c/s engineer

i am not.

Last edited by ladysveil; 06-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
ladysveil

Last edited by ladysveil; 06-15-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysveil View Post
the soldered by iriver's c/s engineer
But they didn't fix it?

Thanks for clarifying.

T1 and T2, hmmm
Old 06-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
ladysveil

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
But they didn't fix it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iriver Korea officially does not support the Story HD.

only support a story K & a story K HD.

the story K downGrade from the Story HD.
the story K HD almost same the Story HD. but some difference a software(like a partition size)

I think probably anything else that the recovery program

Anyway,

I found a little more signs of soldering from C2

In summary

C2 - VCC
GNC
T1
T2

Last edited by ladysveil; 06-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

I don't see C2, where is it?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
ladysveil

Quote:
I don't see C2, where is it?

look at attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	87759  
Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User

Interesting. So that's 6 points in total, possibly for a serial console (GND, CTS, VCC, TXD, RXD, RTS). GND is the blob, VCC is C2, and the others are T1/T2 which are two pads each, exact order yet to be determined.

I guess it's worth a shot. I'll spend another €20 on a serial cable such as this http://www.delock.de/produkte/N_83117/dokumente.html and see if I can ruin my bricked Story HD some more with my horrible soldering skills. Sigh.

Quote:
the story K HD almost same the Story HD. but some difference a software(like a partition size)
Story HD Basic has 2 partitions Story HD Wifi has 3 partitions.

1 partition for system files (firmware)
1 partition for user files (ebooks)
1 partition for downloaded updates (wifi only)

Software is slightly different for each country, due to different keyboard layout / ebook shop solution.

If the serial console actually works and gives raw access to the internal memory somehow, or even just the shell, unbricking would be possible. Brick in my case is most likely caused by a surplus library file / file in the wrong location as it happened when installing Story HD Basic firmware archive on a Story HD Basic running Story HD Wifi firmware. :^)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
I guess it's worth a shot. I'll spend another €20 on a serial cable such as this http://www.delock.de/produkte/N_83117/dokumente.html and see if I can ruin my bricked Story HD some more with my horrible soldering skills. Sigh.
So I bought this, and a Piezo buzzer... and tried using this method here http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware....buzzer.method on the T1+T2 pads to find out which is which.

For T1, the pad on the right, and for T2, the upper pad, produce the screeching/modem sound. Unfortunately they do so all the time (whether it's booting or not). The other two are silent all the time (also during boot).

I tried to blindly connect just GND and RXD but failed to get output for any of the pads. I got a single "?" for the lower T2 pad, and nothing for the others. Not sure if it's even supposed to work at all with just GND/RXD/TXD but that wiki page suggests it.

I was expecting to find a single pad that produces some noise during boot, instead I found two that produce noise nonstop and two which are completely silent.

So I'm stumped again. I just don't know enough about electronics.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
The fact that you try and persevere puts you in the company of people like Thomas Edison. So good for you. Eventually you may figure something out and we will all benefit.
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #12
ladysveil

my story hd was broken by mistake of soldering