Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Battery w/touch page turns and no network

My PRS 950 has been terrific...and still is!

This past weekend I was at the beach where there was no network connection and I was using touch page turns almost exclusively. I did not turn off the (non-3g) network setting. (I'm thinking I probably should have!)

The battery ran down somewhat faster than normal.

Thus, I wonder if my 950 was perhaps using up battery power as: (i) it was constantly trying to find or connect to a non-3g network; or (ii) with my using the touch page turns more than usual. I'm leaning toward the former rather than the latter.

Any ideas??
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My guess would be the former too. I know some other devices have that issue. If I am away from home, then I usually turn off wireless except for when I actually plan to use it. I get long battery life that way. I typically use touch page turns rather than the buttons. And, I also do lots of highlighting and looking up words in the dictionary. When I am at home, then I have 3G off and Wi-fi on (with standby).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
If I am away from home, then I usually turn off wireless except for when I actually plan to use it. I get long battery life that way.
B, Thanks for the opinion!

I wonder if it costs battery life at home when staying in network standby mode!?!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Any time a 3G radio is on it tries to connect. It uses a huge amount of energy trying to find a connection. So if there is no service in your location, the 3G radio will eat up the battery in short order. If the service keeps switching between 3G and a slower connection like Edge it will burn up a lot of energy too. The same goes for any 3G radio whether in a phone or another device. So keep 3G turned off when you are out of a service area. Actually, I keep 3G off nearly always as it is seldom used in my case, and I keep WiFi off when I am no using it.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree 3G is probably the biggest factor. With my 900 I always kept wireless off which made a significant difference. With my 950 I keep the Wi-fi on at home (standby on) and 3G off. The settings menu allows you to have either / or. The Wi-fi only does drain faster than all off but still lasts a long time. I keep the Wi-fi on because I use Wikipedia frequently, and I have a newspaper subscription. If you don't use it, then I would keep both Wi-fi and 3G off at home.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
petercreasey
Wizard

I always leave the 3G off but I have been leaving the WiFi on, virtually always in standby mode.

I probably should turn both of them off as I always connect via the USB port.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
petercreasey
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
I probably should turn both of them off as I always connect via the USB port.
I have done this for some time now.

Operating the 950 with the switch (lower left of the 950) in OFF position, the battery life between charges has appeared to be significantly longer than when staying connected via my personal WiFi network. And this is true even while using touch to turn pages.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thanks for the update, Pete!