Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Claydragon
Claydragon began at the beginning.

Device: none YET!
Smile Hi I'm new

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Just found this site.

At present I dont have an e-reader although I've been debating about getting one. I've been trying to decide which I'd like better - Amazon's Kindle or Sony's new 700 series one. I order a lot on Amazon so I've been leaning that way, but I'm just not sure.

As for a little about me, I LOVE reading, it's unusual not to see me with a book nearby sometimes more than one.

I don't post a lot, but I do stop by and read things.
Claydragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Claydragon! I love the name

I can't comment on either of those - I have the Sony 505, which I think is a nice reader.

Be warned, this place can be as addictive as reading
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome to the forum. ShortnCuddleAM is correct in that this forum is addictive but it is also a good place to find (and give) answers to reader questions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Claydragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Welcome Claydragon! I love the name

I can't comment on either of those - I have the Sony 505, which I think is a nice reader.

Be warned, this place can be as addictive as reading

Thanks on the name - I do ceramics part time hence the clay and I collect dragons. :-)

A friend recommended the 505, the only reason I didn't mention it is because I read somewhere there was a "problem" with I htink it was the backlight or fonts being hard to read because of the backlight or something like that (been awhile since I read it).
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydragon View Post
Thanks on the name - I do ceramics part time hence the clay and I collect dragons. :-)

A friend recommended the 505, the only reason I didn't mention it is because I read somewhere there was a "problem" with I htink it was the backlight or fonts being hard to read because of the backlight or something like that (been awhile since I read it).
The 505 has no light - that problem sounds like what some people have reported with the 700, although I think it was caused by the extra layer the touch screen added rather than the side light itself. If you can, get to a Sony store and have a look at them both side by side. Then either find some-one with a Kindle, or take advantage of Amazon's returns policy and see what you think of all three
Advert
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Welcome to the forum. ShortnCuddleAM is correct in that this forum is addictive but it is also a good place to find (and give) answers to reader questions.
Very, very true - there are a lot of nice helpful people here
Old 12-14-2008, 10:49 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Claydragon and welcome to the Forum. That's good advice from ShortNCuddlyAm about comparing the two Sony's side-by-side.

I have a 505 and like it a lot and am not really tempted to upgrade to the 700. But check them out for yourself and see what you like.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Claydragon

Thanks for the advice.

I MAY know of a place or two where I can check out the Sony's, the Kindles however, well that'll be awhile I can't afford it yet.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
"Can't afford it" That's like a junkie saying he can't afford heroin. Where are your priorities? We're a bunch of addicted bookworms here! Just do without food for awhile.

Or rob a bank. Nah, that probably wouldn't work. You walk into a bank and point a trashy detective novel at the clerk, I doubt he'd give you much money. That is, unless he was one of MobileRead's members
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Claydragon -- welcome to MobileRead.

I own both the Kindle and a Sony PRS-505. I like both readers, but I use the Kindle much more than I use the Sony. I'm not sure why that is, except maybe it was the first reader I owned. When possible, I buy books offered as "multi-format without DRM" so that I can read them on either device. So far, I have only bought restricted book from Amazon for the Kindle.

The Kindle and the Sony 505 have the exact same screen. Neither is backlighted. The Sony 700 has a built-in "side light" akin to the LightWedge. For the 505, there's a cover with a LightWedge built in. I'm so glad that for Christmas, my hubby gave me the lighted cover. I wish someone would make a similar cover for the Kindle.

Electronic readers are still expensive. But they give so much pleasure. It's kind of like the early days of CDs. I remember spending over $600 for the first component CD player we bought. Now they're practically commodities. If they catch on, the price will come down. Regardless, you can buy one and have the pleasure of knowing you were in the forefront of the movement.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #11
Claydragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
"Can't afford it" That's like a junkie saying he can't afford heroin. Where are your priorities? We're a bunch of addicted bookworms here! Just do without food for awhile.
I thought of it but what I made a comment to the animals they'd have to do without they gave me a look that says do it and die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Or rob a bank. Nah, that probably wouldn't work. You walk into a bank and point a trashy detective novel at the clerk, I doubt he'd give you much money. That is, unless he was one of MobileRead's members
This is true - k how many here work at a bank and which one?