Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
lowndes
lowndes began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Multi tasking with Audible books playing

I ordered my Kindle on 2-19, so I don't have it yet, but I'm wondering about features. I currently listen to Audible books and newspapers through my Palm TX. When I'm listening to Audible with the kindle, can I access other Kindle features? Would I be able to read along with the audio if I own both the kindle printed version and the audible version?
I know I can use the TX to listen and the Kindle to read, but I wonder if I can do it all with the Kindle.
lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No, unfortunately. You can't read and lpay Audible at the same time. But if it's a regular mp3, you can do both by using the music player instead.

P.S. Do you have an estimated shipdate for your Kindle?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
lowndes
lowndes began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
[QUOTE=P.S. Do you have an estimated shipdate for your Kindle?[/QUOTE]

No ship date yet. The good news there is that I procrastinate a bit longer about telling the wife I bought it. Wife--> Wife 30 seconds later -->
lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
cfw123
Enthusiast
cfw123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Music and audio books on your Kindle.

There are two folders on your Kindle that are involved. Both can be loaded only from your computer via the supplied USB cable. Only one of these can be in use at the same time, as there is only one volume control.

One can be loaded with "songs" or other MP3 music, which will be played in random sequence while you are readikng -- true background music. With this one the only thig you can do is to turn it on or turn it off.

The other folder holds audio books, which must already be in MP3 form before they are loaded into their folder via the cable from your computer. You can choose which one of these (there could be many) that you want to listen to. They show up in the directory with a symbol showing they are audio.

Music of either kind covered above, takes a lot more space in your Kindle memory than do the text files of books. For this reason, I have an 8 GB SDHC high capacity memory card, which gives me a great amount of space to hold such things.

I don't care for background music myself -- it is too distracting for my taste. But I think the Kindle is a very good audio book player -- much better than just have a CD (like a walkman) player to listen to them, or using your home music player or automobile player.

What I would like to have, and perhaps Kindle will add this as a feature in a new release someday automatically downloaded to your Kindle, is to have both background music and audio books able to be downloaded from the wireless support, and perhaps sold on the Kindle Store.

Charles Wilkes, San Jose, Calif.
cfw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfw123 View Post
The other folder holds audio books, which must already be in MP3 form before they are loaded into their folder via the cable from your computer.
Are you sure? I think Audible audiobooks play with the .aa format, provided you authorized your Kindle on a Win PC.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
cfw123 is incorrect. The "audible" folder can hold both AA and mp3.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
cfw123 is incorrect. The "audible" folder can hold both AA and mp3.
Sorry, I thought that cfw123 was saying that audiobooks HAD to be in MP3 format.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote