Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
How do the mouseover bits work with a tablet? Typically, sites which require mouseovers are the opposite of tablet-friendly (until we have "finger over" technology I guess).
Maybe finger taps yield drop down menus or small icons???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #17
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
How do the mouseover bits work with a tablet? Typically, sites which require mouseovers are the opposite of tablet-friendly (until we have "finger over" technology I guess).
I don't think it is possible with the iPad, but the BlackBerry Playbook can handle mouseover events, albeit needing the use of 2 fingers.

I also remember reading an article saying that hover or mouseover works in Flash content on a touchscreen device. So, it sounds more like sites with hover content are the opposite of iPad-friendly.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I tested the site a few days ago when it rolled out (and is now gone). I hate the look of it (very bland, hard to visually find the categories now that they don't stand out in orange and blue), but using it was dreadful.

I was searching for about 100 books, one after the other. I quickly realized that if you're highlighting the contents of the search box and going from right to left, the cursor ends over the drop-down menu next to the search box, and the activation of the drop-down menu would boot you out of the search dialog.

Other times, while I was typing in the search dialog, the page would boot me out while typing, I assume because some snippet of the page had loaded a little later than everything else.

I eventually had to just click-ctrl-A-ctrl-v-enter very, very fast to get any real searching done. I was in Firefox, so that might have been part of the problem (I'm presuming that Amazon optimizes for IE first), but it was a real disappointment because the site has always been easy to use before.

And as much as I like white-and-black modernity, I do think the new site looks dreadful. So there's that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
I hate when sites try to fix what isn't broken. Amazon.com is iconic and the most popular online store by far, I believe. They should be very reluctant to mess with that IMO.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenunya View Post
wonder if the video is going to also move away from Flash and over to HTML5? It is not as if they don't want iPad user money and there are plenty of those out there ripe for the poaching.
Unlikely, as HTML5 doesn't offer much in the way of copy protection.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #21
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Unlikely, as HTML5 doesn't offer much in the way of copy protection.
Flash really doesn't offer any either. Quite simple to pull stuff out of flash.

Out of curiosity, did the poster mean the demo videos on the product pages, or the Amazon Video service?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Flash really doesn't offer any either. Quite simple to pull stuff out of flash.

Out of curiosity, did the poster mean the demo videos on the product pages, or the Amazon Video service?
With the right software, yes. But the added complexity is thought to be a deterrent. Especially when Flash's streaming capabilities are used (streaming isn't currently part of the HTML5 standard).

Well demo videos already play in the iPad browser.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-07-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #23
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
With the right software, yes. But the added complexity is thought to be a deterrent. Especially when Flash's streaming capabilities are used (streaming isn't currently part of the HTML5 standard).

Well demo videos already play in the iPad browser.
Software schmoftware. You can do it without, if you really want to. Hell, in the Linux version, it dumps the video into a file in the /tmp directory. Simple as copy pasta.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #24
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I agree with everyone who said the new site is too bland. It looks no different than the Walmart website.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
I'm amazed they are considering making such a radical change. I'd have thought Amazon would be like Google ie very data driven in their design and mostly given to minor tweaks over time to improve conversion.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by greencat View Post
I'm amazed they are considering making such a radical change. I'd have thought Amazon would be like Google ie very data driven in their design and mostly given to minor tweaks over time to improve conversion.
I have a feeling they designed it specifically for a certain new mobile device coming in the near future
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #27
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like Amazon has been reading comments on a lot of forums discussing the change. They added some orange and blue back to their new site, although it's mostly text color changes, but still no blocks of blue and orange like the old site. There's a lot of mouseovers - Your Amazon, Wish List, *shopping cart symbol*, etc.

Last edited by cfo; 09-09-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #28
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
Looks like Amazon has been reading comments on a lot of forums discussing the change. They added some orange and blue back to their new site, although it's mostly text color changes, but still no blocks of blue and orange like the old site. There's a lot of mouseovers - Your Amazon, Wish List, *shopping cart symbol*, etc.
I like it now. The layout is the same. That was a concern for me. I can still jump in and get where I need to be. It feels like something is missing at the top of the page though.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #29
cfo
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It feels like something is missing at the top of the page though.
My guess is the old blue search bar and the orange and orange buttons:

Because other than the lack of color, the top of the site looks pretty much the same.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM   #30
greencat
Freebie finder
greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greencat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Kindle
OK I'm getting the new design now. It doesn't look so bad in the flesh but there is definitely some very weird white space on the left hand side with my large monitor.

The header is very nice and uncluttered though. Overall I like it.
greencat is offline   Reply With Quote