Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
GeekyGirl
GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GeekyGirl can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet 16 GB
Probs converting file for Sony to Nook

I'm a brand new eReader user and am having some difficulties. I started with a Sony but am becoming disillusioned with the glare on the touch screen and the lack of connectivity for content download, specifically periodicals. Yesterday I bought a Nook and think that's what I'm going to stay with, i.e. return the Sony. I had received a $50 gift card for the Sony store and downloaded several books there.

I'm trying to "convert" them to use them on the Nook, but I know that both use ePub so I don't know if any actual conversion is necessary, but I tried it anyway. My first question is that there are 5 different files per book for the Sony reader book. Am I supposed to slect all five files and tell Calibre to convert all 5 of them. (Or since they both use ePub is any conversion necessary at all)? I tried just doing the first file and it appeared to work so I moved the file to the Nook. Sweet! I was all set to read, only problem was that it's not there. Oh and lastly, is my conversion issue a DRM one and if so do I need to do something else using different software?

So right now my questions are: Do I need to select all 5 files? Do I actually need to "convert" anything or simply move it/them into Calibre? If I do move all 5 files to Calibre, do I then move all 5 to the Nook or does it somehow change them into one unified file? Does Calibre give me the ability to create groupings or collections of books that I can then transfer to the Nook and be able to use that way? If so, I'm guessing that I should move all of the Nook books to Calibre to do that but am wondering about the whole transfer process and how the Nook might be able to display the content that way.

I appreciate anybody's feedback or suggestions. Thanks!
GeekyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
You do not have to do any converting. Just add the book to the "my documents" folder on your nook.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't have multiple copies of Sony Store ebooks on my Windows PC. I get a single .epub per ebook in My Documents\My Books\Reader Library. However, I don't have a Sony Reader - so perhaps the other files are related to your Reader.

In any case, except for Google ePubs, these almost always have DRM (encryption), so they can't be converted by Calibre.

As Madam Broshkina said, the Nook can read ePubs with Adobe DRM. The only trick is to register your Nook to your AdobeID. For details, see How to read Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub books. Once the Nook is registered, you can either use Desktop Adobe Digital Editions to copy the epub, or just copy it over yourself to the "my documents" folder on your nook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
wallyworld
wallyworld began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (?)
Newbie here too...

Please help me understand....I registered my Nook in the Adobe Digital Editions (and get library books)....I have the Sony store software and it "recognizes" my computer and downloads to to a file location of it's choice.

1) Is there any way to change the download location?

2) This DRM thing. So if I download to my computer, will it always transfer to the Nook?

3) Does DRM mean it can only be on one device or in one format?

Thanks for any an all help....slowly (very slowly) I am catching on.
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony nook conversion drm