Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Best Choice for International Readers

Hi all! I just stumbled upon this forum and what a find! A friend gave me their old Ebookwise device about a year ago. I have enjoyed using this to read txt or doc but find it frustrating it doesn't read PDF files. With xmas coming up decided to ask for a new reader and since the Kindle is now available in Australia (where I am) I decided to get one of those... but then I noticed the Sony Reader... I guess I'm asking which is best for International readers? I want whatever device can read the most different formats (tired of having to convert everything and getting crap conversion quality). I'd also like something with at least 24 hour battery life and of course whichever device is easiest on the eyes. I see neither the Sony Reader or Kindle have a backlight, I was surprised by that as my ebookwise does and thought these would too but oh well. I'd sacrifice that for something that can read more formats. I'd also like to be able to purchase books for a resonable price and being able to put my own material on the ebook reader without paying for it is a must.

Thanks for any help!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you want more formats, the Kindle is probably not the best choice. It can only read its own format, although you can convert Word and text documents using Amazon's service. The big draws of the Kindle are the Amazon store and the wireless/computer-less usage.

I am in Canada and have a Sony. I love it. It can read many formats including epub which some say is the emerging standard, and PDF. Battery life is amazing and it's easy to use. You can also borrow library books from Overdrive in epub and PDF format, if your library is a member.

I buy multiformat books at Fictionwise and load the LRF right onto the Sony. I also buy other formats which can be converted. I use Calibre (a free program) to do these conversions painlessly and load content onto the reader. File formats I have used:

- LRF (needs no conversion)
- ePub (needs no conversion)
- PDF (needs no conversion; but how it looks depends on what size 'paper' the PDF is)
- HTML (one-click conversion in Calibre; how it looks depends on what you started with)
- Secure eReader (needs decrypting and cleaning up to get an HTML file)
- RTF (looks fine but you need to set it to a large font size or it will be tiny-looking)
- Plain text (needs to be saved as RTF or HTML, and tidied up accordingly)
- Word documents (needs to be saved as RTF or HTML, and tidied up accordingly)

I have no direct experience with the Kindle. But my perception was that its big draws are the store and the wireless---not its format friendliness The big omission with the Kindle is epub, which is the emerging standard and which is used by the library books
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info ficbot. I thought the kindle did read multi-formats because the website says this about it:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

I thought the through conversion part meant just the BMP... but from what you're saying maybe it means all the things listed there from PDF onward.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Hi all! I just stumbled upon this forum and what a find! A friend gave me their old Ebookwise device about a year ago. I have enjoyed using this to read txt or doc but find it frustrating it doesn't read PDF files. With xmas coming up decided to ask for a new reader and since the Kindle is now available in Australia (where I am) I decided to get one of those... but then I noticed the Sony Reader... I guess I'm asking which is best for International readers? I want whatever device can read the most different formats (tired of having to convert everything and getting crap conversion quality). I'd also like something with at least 24 hour battery life and of course whichever device is easiest on the eyes. I see neither the Sony Reader or Kindle have a backlight, I was surprised by that as my ebookwise does and thought these would too but oh well. I'd sacrifice that for something that can read more formats. I'd also like to be able to purchase books for a resonable price and being able to put my own material on the ebook reader without paying for it is a must.

Thanks for any help!
I have an Astak Pocket Pro (5" reader). Vast array of formats and it is a beautiful device. E-Ink has no backlight, so it is easy on the eyes. For reading at night a simple book light works wonders, no glare, no shine. There is also the Astak EZReader (A rebranded Hanlin V3, also known as the BeBook and Eco Reader - both which can be bought and supported from here in Australia).

Hope it helps somewhat.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Athryn
Athryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Thanks for the info ficbot. I thought the kindle did read multi-formats because the website says this about it:

Kindle (AZW), TXT, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; PDF, HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

I thought the through conversion part meant just the BMP... but from what you're saying maybe it means all the things listed there from PDF onward.
It definitely reads unprotected .MOBI, and according to the Wiki, reads plenty of other formats without conversion needed. You can use Calibre also to convert other formats to the ones the Kindle can read, which is what I do.
Athryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I have an Astak Pocket Pro (5" reader). Vast array of formats and it is a beautiful device. E-Ink has no backlight, so it is easy on the eyes. For reading at night a simple book light works wonders, no glare, no shine. There is also the Astak EZReader (A rebranded Hanlin V3, also known as the BeBook and Eco Reader - both which can be bought and supported from here in Australia).

Hope it helps somewhat.
You've definitely got my interest. Where could I buy one of these from in Victoria? I looked them up and love how many different file types it supports! Also how much are they? I like that I can buy the kindle or sony reader for around $300AU. I don't want to spend more than that really.

Oh one thing, where can you buy books for it?

Last edited by Laura81; 10-25-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You've definitely got my interest. Where could I buy one of these from in Victoria? I looked them up and love how many different file types it supports! Also how much are they? I like that I can buy the kindle or sony reader for around $300AU. I don't want to spend more than that really.

Oh one thing, where can you buy books for it?
www.ecoreader.com.au have the 6" for $449. If you're happy buying internationally (as I was) you can go to www.astak.com and select depending on which one you want, either the 6" EZReader (same as the Eco Reader) or the 5" Pocket Pro. Their prices are in US currency but the Pocket Pro will come in after shipping under $300AU (mine came to $281 after currency conversion - and only took 8 days to my door step after ordering). Another advantage of this line of ereader is they come supplied with a protective cover (which is a must in my view) where as the Kindle and the Sony readers are an additional purchase, essentially adding $30-$40US to the cost.

You can buy books from a variety of places, best to look here on the forums, but essentially any place that sell DRM encrypted books in Adobe Digital Editions format (epub and PDF I believe they are). That said, you can go to the free ebook sites and download any format you desire and have it work on these readers.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Laura81
Addict

Considering the price difference I'd definitely buy internationally. It's a huge savings to do so. Would you say the pocket pro is better than the 6" version? Anyway, I'll go over to astak and have a look at them.

Thanks for pointing this one out to me!
Old 10-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Considering the price difference I'd definitely buy internationally. It's a huge savings to do so. Would you say the pocket pro is better than the 6" version? Anyway, I'll go over to astak and have a look at them.

Thanks for pointing this one out to me!
I see you have posted the same question on the Astak thread so I wont post twice. I basically hit the issue you are having, the 6" or 5". My only concern was the 5" readable enough to enjoy, or is the 6" screen size worth the extra money? I decided after doing screen shots and text size comparisons between 5" and 6", FOR ME that the 6" was not worth the extra money. I am REALLY happy going to 5" route. Wallcraft posted a damn good review (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55790) that helped me in also making the decision.

Best of luck with your decision, either way you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Laura81
Addict

Thanks for that link. Sounds like maybe I should just go with the 5", though I wanted black and they are sold out of that at the present time.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #11
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
Maybe you should take a look at the PocketBook 360° too.
Supports the most file-formats and has definately the best Operating System ...
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #12
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
If there is only a small price difference between the Sony or the Kindle reader and the pocket pro, I would definitively avoid the Pocket Pro as this device have a lot of reliability issues. Many Pocket Pro owners on this forum are already on their second or third reader.

You should have a look at the Astak forum before buying. International RMA are expensive and takes time.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Laura81
Addict

KoopaOne - Do you know where I could have a look at the product you specify?

Faenad - I have checked out that forum extensively as well as talking to PocketPro owners, most I've talked to are happy with the actual product. The problem is the paint finish peeling off the device.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Someting that read ePub

I would say, sony, bebook, cybook, pocketbook. Whitechever fits you

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix (usefull page when you're trying to chose an e-reader)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
KoopaOne - Do you know where I could have a look at the product you specify?

Faenad - I have checked out that forum extensively as well as talking to PocketPro owners, most I've talked to are happy with the actual product. The problem is the paint finish peeling off the device.

Extensive review of the Pocketbook 360 avaialble here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61908

Postage is not bad using USPS...

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 11-15-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote