Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free and Bargain Non-Fiction in May 2014

A thread for May.

We point out free and bargain Non-Fiction titles to each other. Please don't post any self-published books*, and please do a search before posting to avoid duplicates.

In case no retailer is specifically mentioned in a post, it is safe to assume it's for Amazon US.

Be aware that many freebies are only free for a day, so grab them fast!

*Unless you have read them yourself, think they are excellent, and you're not connected to the author in any way.
-----------------------------------------------

From Charles River (and generally one-day only):
- American Legends: The Life of Paul Newman [Kindle Edition]
- American Legends: The Life of Jerry Lewis [Kindle Edition]
Old 05-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #2
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Today's NOOK Free Friday selection is The Normans: From Raiders to Kings by Lars Brownworth.
Advert
Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I was just coming here to post that! Here's the Kindle link, if anyone wants to join me in reporting the lower price to Amazon.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisceschick View Post
I was just coming here to post that! Here's the Kindle link, if anyone wants to join me in reporting the lower price to Amazon.
I did just a few minutes ago, before I saw your post. If Amazon drops the price, I'll try to post that information, if no one else beats me to it.

Sometimes it seems like they respond positively and sometimes it seems that they don't. I don't know what the criteri(on)(a) might be for them to drop prices in response to these requests; maybe someone monitoring this thread can tell us. I, for one, would be interested in knowing what some people think.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:53 AM   #5
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
I don't think we'll never know for sure about Amazon's reasoning on price matching. Several times during B & N sales I've notified them of lower prices, but they didn't react.

GtrsRgr8, you mentioned you're fairly new to discount watching - have you discovered ereaderiq.com yet? They track price drops and you can also register to get notifications. Very useful site, just in case you haven't seen.
Advert
Old 05-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #6
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
This is just speculation, but I was under the impression that a lot of B&N sales/Free Fridays were somehow agreed to be exclusive to them for a set amount of time with publisher.

Granted, not all, but I have been noticing it a bit more with them.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
I don't think we'll never know for sure about Amazon's reasoning on price matching. Several times during B & N sales I've notified them of lower prices, but they didn't react.

GtrsRgr8, you mentioned you're fairly new to discount watching - have you discovered ereaderiq.com yet? They track price drops and you can also register to get notifications. Very useful site, just in case you haven't seen.
I've discovered them, but haven't explored them. That is to say, I know about their daily lists of Kindle bargains, but I wasn't aware that they tracked price drops. There is another site, which I no longer follow and whose name I've forgotten, which also tracked price drops; I am sure that there are more, probably many more. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
This is just speculation, but I was under the impression that a lot of B&N sales/Free Fridays were somehow agreed to be exclusive to them for a set amount of time with publisher.

Granted, not all, but I have been noticing it a bit more with them.
Ah, exclusivity agreements . . . . I hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the answer. Thanks.

My question was one of only curiosity, I guess; I don't know what practical value that it would be to know the answer(s).
Old 05-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Free @ Amazon--Tough Mudder Guide for Newbies

Call me urbane, but until I saw this book I never realized that there was such a sport(?) as running mud obstacle courses! In fact, when I first saw the title of this book, I thought that this was some author's attempt to cleverly title a book for first time mothers on raising children! Mud bogging? sure, I've heard of that; after all, my roots are in the deep South. Mud wrestling? Yep, I know about that, too. But, running mud obstacle courses? Never had heard of it.

Yes, I know that there is likely no one watching this thread--probably no Mobilereader at all--who is a mudder or aspires to be one. But when I saw this book I thought that the premise of the book was so funny that I had to post it. And, who knows, some Mobilereader may download the book, read it, and decide that badminton and croquet is just not satisfying enough and decide to take up this activity. haha

First Time Mudder: Tough Mudder Guide for Newbies. By Bryan Rusch. Digital list price $1.99; Kindle price $0.00. Four and 1/2 stars from 8 reviews. http://www.amazon.com/First-Time-Mud...de+for+Newbies

From the author:
A first-hand account of my experience completing the Tough Mudder mud obstacle run for the first time in my early 40s. I cover some personal background, training tips that worked for me, and discuss the obstacles I encountered in the event as well as strategies for conquering them.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Well, I ran a Marine Corps mud run once... five miles of absolute torture in which I literally dragged my body over the finish line by my hands. Does that make me a mudder?

Last edited by Dngrsone; 05-03-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #11
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Well, I ran a Marine Corps mud run once... five miles of absolute torture in which I literally dragged my body over the finish line by my hands. Does that make me a mudder?
You probably went thru a lot more hell than those completing that obstacle course.

for serving and protecting me
Old 05-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #12
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
You probably went thru a lot more hell than those completing that obstacle course.
I never ran one of the MC mud runs, but did run many an obstacle course.... oh, and am a former Marine.

Does that count?
Old 05-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #13
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I never ran one of the MC mud runs, but did run many an obstacle course.... oh, and am a former Marine.

Does that count?
I don't know if the Marine Corps mud run or especially a non-muddy course would count or not, but I, like KyBunnies, appreciate your service.

It is kinda hard to picture ex-Marines as being bibliophiles . . . .
Old 05-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Any one who has served in the Armed Forces has went thru hell the people in a mud run will never experience. I am from the south and never heard of this. I would say it is either a redneck or hillybilly thing. Since I am in Kentucky and live on a farm most people consider me both. Never heard of a mudder run.

for serving and protecting me
Old 05-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Two Kindle Freebies on a Similar Subject

400 Scrapbook and Card Making Sketches: Instant Inspiration! (Beautiful Scrapbook Pages Fast). By Melanie Stewart. Four stars from 28 reviews. Digital list price $3.81; Kindle price $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/400-Scrapbook-...+Pages+Fast%29.

If you've ever wanted to create fantastic scrapbook pages faster than takes your husband to disappear at kids bath time...while saving time and expressing your personality...then you will love this scrapbooking book.

I totally enjoyed the easy to follow sketches for single or multiple picture pages. When you need a little inspiration to get you started this book is packed full of ideas for all levels of scrapbooking. Plenty of ideas for one, two, three, four or more pictures on a page." - Amazon Review

I've written this book after years of frustration scrapbooking myself, inside you will discover how to:
*Spend more time expressing yourself, rather than chewing up your creative mojo deciding where to place each embellishment and elements on the page.
*Use the same sketch over and over by simply rotating the sketch or changing your photos and the scrapbooking supplies you use. (No two pages will be ever alike).
*Suitable for traditional and digital scrapbookers.
*These sketches were made for square layouts of any size including 12 x12, 8 x 8 and 6 x 6, giving you the flexibility to use them for any project you want.
*Anyone can start using these sketches immediately, even if you have never created a page before.
Here are 404 of the best sketches into easy-to-find organized sections including sketches for one photo, two photos, three photos and four + photos.

Scrapbook Layout Sketches Volume 2. By Yobeth Puckett. Five stars, but from only 1 review. Digital list price $3.99; Kindle price $0.00. http://www.amazon.com/Scrapbook-Layo...tches+Volume+2http://www.amazon.com/Scrapbook-Layo...tches+Volume+2.

Volume 1 is not currently free.

Volume two has many more wonderful layout sketches and full color examples for beginners and experienced scrappers alike. There are sketches for layouts using one to five photos. Start creating fabulous layouts quickly and easily using the sketches for guidance then sit back and wait for the compliments. If you're making a scrapbook for yourself, you'll love the results. If you're giving a scrapbook as a gift, it will be cherished. Now is the time to have some creative fun.
Closed Thread