Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
mjost
mjost began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
No Mass Storage mode any more with Kobo Glo Software 2.6.1 ?

Hello,

I upgraded my Kobo Glo to Software 2.6.1.
When I now connect it to my computer (Linux) using USB, I first get the usual:
"Computer detected. Connect/Abort"
When I had choosen "Connect" in the past, I had gotten a Mass storage connection.
But now I get on the Kobo:
[translated from my German Kobo]
"Visit our Website
Keep your eReader connected to the PC and download Kobo desktop here:
www.kobosetup.com"

That's it - the device is not seen by my Linux system as before.
This means no connection also to calibre.

How do I get the USB mass storage connection back ?
Is this a firmware bug ?
Do I need to change some settings ?
Is my hardware on the PC side somehow broken ?

Or is Kobo trying to lock me in with the new firmware ?
I did a sync right now. It seemed it found another SW update ("downloading" on the display) But this stuck. After reseting (pressing pinhole button), it booted and synced, but found no update.

Right now I'm feeling confused and quite annoyed...

Regards

Martin
mjost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
I don't think it's kobo trying to lock you with the firmware...i have 2.6.1 and linux, and it still appears as normal...

I wonder if the first update was installed properly...or the database got corrupted? You could try logging out and in maybe?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
This is a bug, unfortunately. You can workaround it until the next release by doing the following:

a) factory reset via settings->device information
b) keep an SD card in the slot

The reason for factory reset is that the partition is failing to mount. The software will try to stay usable and create a new database, but it's in the wrong location -- it's on the root filesystem.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
KT (N905) Fw. 2.6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
This is a bug, unfortunately.
Hm, in my case, after upgrading to 2.6.1, the KT opened, initially, the home screen correctly, but didn't recognise the SD card. In order to achieve this, I had to extract/insert several times the SD card until, finally, the device would recognise it. Nothing changed at several ways of resetting. Is this a part of the bug?

Quote:
keep an SD card in the slot
Do you mean from the very beginning, or subsequent?

Unfortunately, there came added some more issues, so that the reader some day didn't show on the home screen (after starting) the book that I had been reading already for awhile (stored on the device). It was no longer in the bibliotheque, and I found it, strange enough, on one of my own shelves, but in an even more strange way: The book had lost its title an appeared under a totally unknown title, obviously drawn out as a part of the text of some other book. I could now read the book again, but the unsuiting title wa shown on the headline of the pages.

The Kobo support thinks that there is something broken and asked me to sent the device in. This is what I did, but I would like to know more exactly what is going on.

With the previous firmware, there were no problems at all.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo glo, update, usb mass storage