Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
jean kaye
jean kaye began at the beginning.

Device: none
My first reader?

Hello everyone,

I have been in a process of buying my first ebook reader for a few years but have been unable to find the right one.

Here's what I guess might be the ideal reader:

0. Readable in sun or shade
1. I must be able to read easily physically large books with a fixed layout (I mostly don't have time for novels with flowing text).
2. Battery should last longer than I
3. Hack-able
4. Limited web functionality (rss reader, email, news)
5. Wifi
6. Touch screen
(and of course all this in full color, running 3d movies on demand and with an integrated teleportation device just in case)

I'd use it mainly for work: reading texts (in pdf-format), scientific papers and books with a complex layout (=many columns, graphs and photographs) - sometimes written in annoyingly small fonts. I don't need color display, but I must be able to guess what has been in a original photo. So I guess big screen&resolution is a must?

Batteries should last for a 'nice day in a park'. And I should be able to read while enjoying a sunny day in the park too. So I guess it's an E-ink device?

And as a bonus:

-In my work I need to read text files with a special format (a sort of a catalog-file format). I'm hoping that I would be able to hack the system enough to add native support for the files someday. So gpl/OpenInkpot support is a plus.

-It would be great to have rss support and mail reader. And even greater if it would be possible to have wifi-support.

-As I probably need do a lot of zooming and panning a touch screen might be the best option?

Currently I use my laptop which works but battery doesn't last, sunlight kills my screen and my hands & eyes hurt after a while - Other than that I'm happy

Last edited by jean kaye; 12-14-2011 at 05:18 PM.
jean kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
peacepaul
peacepaul began at the beginning.

Device: Prs T1, kindle touch
You need an IPAD!

You sound like you should have an IPAD instead of e-reader. I tried to read pfd files serveal times on my readers(Kindle touch, prs t1, nook touch), but it didn't turn out well. If you're thinking about using some softwares to increase the quality of pdf files, a lot of work is waiting for you..
peacepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
They'll cost you quite a bit more, but I"d recommend a large screen reader such as the Kindle DX or the PocketBook 903. A 6" screen is too small for complex layout PDFs to display well. I'm not aware of any large screens that are amenable to hacking or rooting.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
jean kaye

Thanks,
I've previously looked at Pocketbook 903 pro which would have e-ink and large screen and tried to compare it with Asus Eee Pad Transformer (which is on sale here).

I guess Asus/almost any tablet would have almost everything except sunlight tolerant screen. Battery time of 5-7 hours is much more than 50 mins I get from my old laptop... I could probably live with that just fine 99.9% of time.

I wonder if there are technical advances in LCD:s too? If I forget my dream of sitting in the sun while reading ebooks can I read comfortably in a shade (outside, under the apple tree )? So far I've used ipad only under artificial lightning.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think you want some sort of large screen Android tablet. No eink reader is going to meet your requirements.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
You can always put some matte/anti-glare screen protector on you tablet if you decide to buy one. While that's awesome for reading you may lose some visibility on movies and such tho.

But yeah, a tablet seems the most appropriate device for what you want.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #7
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
I second those who say go for a tablet. I originally wanted an e-reader for pdfs and scientific papers and there just isn't a good e-ink alternative around. I got an iPad for that purpose, and I'm very happy with it.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean kaye View Post
Hello everyone,

I'd use it mainly for work: reading texts (in pdf-format), scientific papers and books with a complex layout (=many columns, graphs and photographs) - sometimes written in annoyingly small fonts. I don't need color display, but I must be able to guess what has been in a original photo. So I guess big screen&resolution is a must?

Why don't you go for a M92, there are some reviews on youtube
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For the cost of an M92, you can have a 16GB Wi-Fi iPad2. The M92 is just way too expensive to make it worthwhile. A good tablet is a much better value.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
jean kaye

thanks for comments!

I've been playing with my eee pad transformer 32gb for a while now and it is quite close to perfect. Haven't seen the sun in a while so I have no idea how it will perform in higher light levels, but so far i'm loving it.

Haven't really found a good e-book reader for it yet but maybe someday...