Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #31
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Calibre takes nbsp and turns it into A0!

Since nbsp makes headaches in Sigil, I am not surprised it causes problems in Calibre.

At the fantastic rate this editor has come into being, it is not surprising there are a few problems.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
<p class"something"> is invalid HTML. It should be <p class="somthing">.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It only applies to (friendly) Named entities. You can still use their entity-numbered ,ISO-8859-1 versions Again & #160 is a NBSP
just like & #62 is a >

It is just a PITA to have to keep a chart handy
Perhaps the editor could have a set of preferences that would allow the user to assign keyboard shortcuts to commonly used 'entities' like non-breaking-space, em-dash etc. I've done it with AHK, but I always prefer using built-in features rather than 3rd party gadgets.

@mrmikel - sorry, I misinterpreted your comment as meaning 'non breaking spaces' should be removed irrespective of their representation - hence 'banished'.

I don't care if its represented by &nbsp;, #160, an A0, or a cube of sugar - as long as I can 'see' it when I'm reading the book.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-29-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: move Off Topic paragraphs
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #34
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey guys, please let's stay focused or nobody (Kovid less than anyone else) is going to pay attention to the POSSIBLE BUG posted in the thread:
  • During the development thread there was a lot of discussion about named entities or unicode equivalents. Kovid opted for the latest one because he explains that option is more robust. (No need for !Doctypes sentences). NEVERTHELESS you can still use named entities if you want, BUT if you use any automated tool like HTML Fix or Beautify, they are going to be automatically converted to their unicode equivalents. If you don't like this behaviour, as Kovid would possibly say, feel free to submit the patches you want, Calibre is opensource.
  • IIRC Sigil and Calibre S&R (or F&R, whatever you want to call it) both work in the VERY SAME WAY, but Regex being ALWAYS case sensitive in Sigil but not in Calibre. And that comes from a new version/enhancement in the Regex engine. It's something outside Calibre itself.
  • In this way it doesn't matter if you either copy+paste or just Ctrl+f the selected text you want to search, as I previously posted, it should be ALWAYS found either in Sigil or Calibre. (Just be careful about the "forbidden" special characters in Regex which should be escaped, a "\" being put before them, but IIRC it is automatically done when filling the Find text box through both methods).
  • So, if some of you, cybmole or DoctorOhh as example, cannot get it working, PLEASE double and triple-check that there's no error in your procedure, (ie. it's not your fault or at least your obvious fault), test with other strings, and post detailed examples, steps, whatever thing you can think of, because there can be a HIDDEN BUG here. (And as I said, I wasn't able to reproduce the issue cybmole firstly posted, as my screenshot showed, but I had already detected other strange behaviour within S&R about Count All).
  • But, please, don't mix things or nobody is going to pay any attention to us. (This thread is a whole mess).
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #35
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

good points.

For the record I tested twice, once before starting the thread then again after jackie posted her method. I gave my detailed steps already, for both sigil & calibre.

my current hypothesis is that when you use windows copy + paste, calibre pre-processes the paste & changes the code on the invisible character(s), but does not do that we you pre-select & then open FIND.

then it can still be true that both S&R work in the very same way. The "bug" or difference is to do with inconsistencies in the various ways in which you can populate the find box with a string containing an invisible character

I have returned & deleted the original library book now but there is still the extract which I attached several posts back, if anyone wishes to continue testing.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have returned & deleted the original library book now but there is still the extract which I attached several posts back, if anyone wishes to continue testing.
Did you try every step with the extract? Because using the extract it made no difference which way I populated F&R it didn't work.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #37
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
I did try to reproduce the issue and found the following.

Calibre: portable 1.17

I can populate the 'find' field by either Ctrl + f or by Ctrl + c & Ctrl + v and the copied string contains the nbsp and the search is successful.

If I copy the string by right click and 'copy', the nbsp goes missing and is replaced by a normal space.

This is also visible by leaving the search out of the equation and pasting into the code itself. With the first way of copying, the nbsp will be marked as the others are. With the second method there is no mark.

Pasting into another application will show the same result. Existing nbsp with keyboard action, normal space with right click copying.

Using the 'copy' function in another application and pasting into ebook-edit does not lose the nbsp.

Last edited by Sunlite; 12-30-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #38
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlite View Post
I did try to reproduce the issue and found the following.

Calibre: portable 1.17

I can populate the 'find' field by either Ctrl + f or by Ctrl + c & Ctrl + v and the copied string contains the nbsp and the search is successful.

If I copy the string by right click and 'copy', the nbsp goes missing and is replaced by a normal space.

This is also visible by leaving the search out of the equation and pasting into the code itself. With the first way of copying, the nbsp will be marked as the others are. With the second method there is no mark.

Pasting into another application will show the same result. Existing nbsp with keyboard action, normal space with right click copying.

Using the 'copy' function in another application and pasting into ebook-edit does not lose the nbsp.
GOOD CATCH!!! I confirm the issue.

Right-Click & either Copy or Cut converts the Non-Breaking Space into a common one.
  • Ctrl+c (or x) & Ctrl+v >>>> Non breaking space is maintained.
  • Ctrl+c (or x) & Right-click Paste >>>> Non breaking space is maintained.
  • Right click Copy (or Cut) & Paste however you prefer >>>> Non breaking space is converted into normal space.

So it really seems the issue is in the Copy (Cut) function.

You should post it in the Calibre Bugtracker.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:27 AM   #39
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well done guys - I used right click mouse menu for copy / paste so the above conclusions are consistent with my original experience/ thread starter. will someone who knows exactly how to explain this for Kovid do the bug tracker report please
Old 12-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Thumbs up

Great find
I almost always use the keyboard methods for S&R so I never saw that issue.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #41
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Great find
I almost always use the keyboard methods for S&R so I never saw that issue.
i much prefer KB to mouse also, but since I have to grab the mouse anyway to select the stuff I want to find..... & I know that CTRL+ V is paste but I can never remember whether CTRL + C is cut or copy...

the most amusing thing about this, in hindsight, is that the book in question was truly awful
Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...77188256923e0d
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #43
arspr
Dead account. Bye

A possible related issue (or not)

&nbsp; (in unicode flavour) and normal spaces are not distinguished in the autocompletion dropdown menu in the Find/Search text box.

I mean, in the book I'm reading (Infinite Jest) there are some possessive "’s" for "commented" texts. Let's say "‘Cheers!’ ’s". And I've wanted to change that space in the middle by a &nbsp; (in unicode flavour). But while typing "’&nbsp;’" (through copy/paste, and the GOOD copy/paste through keyboard shortcuts ), the dropdown menu has offered my previous typed "’ ’" with just a normal space. Is this to be expected? Can it be filtered?

And another small possible enhancement. Would it be possible to translate the colours used in the editor to that dropdown previous searched/replaced string matches? I mean there's no way to tell the difference between space types in that dropdown lists.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I like to have two spaces between sentences, especially for foreign (for me) language texts. Currently I achieve this via putting a 'space' followed by a 'nbsp' between sentences.

Some of my colleagues whose first language is not English also like to have double space an the end of sentences in English text. For the same reason as me - it makes reading foreign language texts easier.

If 'nbsp' is banished - because "[its] not part of HTML" - how would I get two spaces between sentences, most (all ?) viewers seem to ignore a second 'space'.

BR
nbsp is not banished in HTML but is not defined in XML. ePub uses XHTML which is a predefined XML implementation, not an HTML implementation no matter what extension you use. It is possible to defined named entities in the file itself but better to use the numeric equivalents. 160 is decimal while A0 is hexadecimal. Either will work if defined properly. You are correct that in XML and HTML multiple regular spaces are reduced to a single space when being interpreted.

Dale

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote