Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
muranternet > CM7/PE are you cooking a rom? what are your ugly tweaks?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
Rhale
Rhale began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Hi Rhale, welcome to MobileRead!

Have you experimented with changing the font size under Reader Preferences in Settings? From the e-ink side you can get there by tapping Menu, then Edit, then Settings (on the pop-up menu) which will take you to Reader Preferences where you can change your defaults. Changing Reader Font Preferences will immediately change the font size on the reader so you can see what you're getting. I find I change the default from book to book sometimes.

Hope this helps!
I have, and I find the 'smallest' setting still a touch larger than i'd like, at least with the 1 book i have so far anyway

for some reason my edge chokes when trying to load a large file to it (a 240mb .mp4 file) so i ordered a 16gb micro sdhc card which i planned to eventually get anyway, and since i don't have much loaded on it at the moment, i suppose now's a good time to do get one
Rhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
vicinc no, that's just the way the signature comes out. I'm running CM7 on two other devices. Right now what I have on the PE is ermine beta, swapping storage pointers via fstab so SDCard is actually my SD card, working Google stuff except for Market and Talk (you can get into market and look at things but they never actually download) but GMail and Maps work except for location service, device signature in build.prop switched but it doesn't enable the market, and some other things I wound up reverting because I didn't like them very much. I might try again late to get Link2SD working when I get back to my Debian box to reformat the SD card. I haven't decided whether to play around more with things like the clock, but considering Entourage never released the ermine source (just dingo and coyote) and the lack of ClockworkMod on the PE I don't think I really want to mess with it.

My real problem with getting too far into modifying the PE is that I don't have an achievable goal. Originally I was hoping someone would open up access to eInk for typing, which is what I wanted in the first place. Trying to make that happen, especially with no source or even an accessible hook, is way beyond me; I would sooner get a Nook Simple Touch and crack USB Host capabilities on the micro-port for a keyboard (someone did this on the Droid 1, though it looked annoying).

By the way, if someone wanted to actually cook a new ROM, it seems like they would be better served working in Dingo, which has adb access and almost-full source (depending on which parts Entourage "forgot" to include) and rebuilding than trying to shoehorn things into Ermine, which is a few steps behind actual ROM baking. If I get antsy enough to actually work on it I might try this, but it's really not my area of expertise. It's also a TON of work for a device with a limited userbase.

As the device stands now it's really not very appealing. I have a laptop for portable writing with nearly the same battery life and a bigger screen and a better word processor, a Kindle for reading with a better screen, and a heavily modified Droid I wear on my arm like a PipBoy 3000 for music and portable computing (it even has a PipBoy theme). I was hoping to mod up the PE for writing and to instantly transfer documents to eInk for hand notes, but it's not even doing that much very well. On the other hand, I can save any Word doc I like as a filtered HTML, run it through Calibre to MOBI, and email it right to the Kindle for editing work.

After working on my Droid and Nook Color, the adjective that pops to mind after working with the PE is "frustrating."
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #19
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I understand what are you saying. I have market on mine after getting the gapps from notion ink with beast, it works fine. however I managed to bork my eink side playing in the system folder with android commander and do not know how to restore them. I have a second edge coming to UK next week I hope, if you have any idea what partition to restore will help me (update.zip with rotate+menu does not work for me), I have adb, root and fully working lcd onoly android.
On the edge would have been fantastic typing in lcd full keyboard and using eink as input screen, or swyping with the wacom pen on a virtual eink keyboard, but all this are fantasies at this stage.
I will settle for a stable 2.2, with market, flash and any lcd page transfer to e-ink at a touch of a button...
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...oid-2-2-a.html
this has same cpu and very similar hardware like us. probably cooking a rom from a mixed base?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #20
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
@vicinc, do you enable android market without a root phone. If so, could you tell me how to do this? From what I read it seems impossible to get a "working" market without a rooted android phone. Is it still true?
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #21
muranternet
Connoisseur

thinredline, it sounds like he got Market by porting over his copy from an Adam.

vicinc, you can actually download items from market? Did you use a Titanium Backup user/system change? I did the same thing from my Droid after downgrading it to CM6.1.2 but it fails to sync. Can you post your method, or a link to it? Never used Beast.

What I wanted to do was not type using characters on the eInk side, but to actually use the eInk side as my output while creating an RTF/DOC file using a USB keyboard or, in a pinch, a keyboard on the LCD screen, though I dislike that method (I learned on manual typewriters and hate tapping on things that don't have switches that click).

The Thunder ROM, if it works on a PE, would probably disable the eInk side.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #22
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
By the way, if someone wanted to actually cook a new ROM, it seems like they would be better served working in Dingo, which has adb access and almost-full source (depending on which parts Entourage "forgot" to include) and rebuilding than trying to shoehorn things into Ermine, which is a few steps behind actual ROM baking. If I get antsy enough to actually work on it I might try this, but it's really not my area of expertise. It's also a TON of work for a device with a limited userbase.
Do you know where I can get that "almost-full" source? I don't mind size of userbase.

Last edited by ptsenter; 07-07-2011 at 11:29 PM.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #23
muranternet
Connoisseur

Coyote: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=159

Dingo: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=162

The web server seems somewhat chunky, which may be a sign that they're pulling up stakes so grab it fast.

Edit: Also, this isn't the full source. It's missing the proprietary eInk drivers and such. There' are threads somewhere in the archives of this forum where jcase and robot talked about it, and listed the parts that grepped missing, along with a bunch of folks telling him he was mean to demand it because enTourage was such a nice and supportive company. Ha ha.

Last edited by muranternet; 07-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Coyote: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=159

Dingo: https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=162

The web server seems somewhat chunky, which may be a sign that they're pulling up stakes so grab it fast.

Edit: Also, this isn't the full source. It's missing the proprietary eInk drivers and such. There' are threads somewhere in the archives of this forum where jcase and robot talked about it, and listed the parts that grepped missing, along with a bunch of folks telling him he was mean to demand it because enTourage was such a nice and supportive company. Ha ha.
The links on those pages are broken, there is no way to get those source codes from entourage, but as you said there is nothing involving e-ink, so not all that useful...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #25
muranternet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
The links on those pages are broken, there is no way to get those source codes from entourage, but as you said there is nothing involving e-ink, so not all that useful...
Urk. I just got the Coyote source and every archive is corrupted. Of course, this may have something to do with it:

Nice. I think that one guy's arms must be hurting from the weight of the massive bezel.

Edit: Source still seems broken. As a precaution I'm grabbing the goldens and ermines for both versions. They're downloading very slowly, as if the repo is sitting on a really cheap shared host, or behind someone's home cable modem.

Last edited by muranternet; 07-07-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #26
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Well I did get around to trying both pens. They do work on PE and the feel is much better as far as holding it goes. The inking is still laggy. There is a slight delay and that is really annoying. I wonder if overclocking would help fix it.

So far its just ok to me. The Kindle is better and the Nook Color is better and aside from the features this has, the main one.. (writing in books) is not up to par.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #27
muranternet
Connoisseur

Syngergi: thanks. That was my impression as well (laggy). I don't know if an overclock would help. I might experiment with the pen shutting down the LCD side to see if that helps.

Last edited by muranternet; 07-08-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #28
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
The eInk side is all right, although the contrast on Vizplex screens is noticeably worse than Pearl (Kindle 3, recent Sonys, Nook Simple Touch). I much prefer the Kindle for long term reading just because of contrast and resolution. Still, it's better than reading on LCD.
I laugh my ass off with these self-appointed geeks. You need to find some info by yourself instead of believing what ads tell you.

Pearl IS a Vizplex and it is even CHEAPER than the previous Vizplex generations. The better contrast you are talking about is a matter of better hw/sw integration, and it is NOT MUCh better, you're talking about a 15% better contrast.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #29
vicinc
Guru

How I get the market working. Beast 2.2 kernel installed on my Notion Ink adam from tablet roms. than Kenny procedure via Titan Backup, restore with Titan backup. Build.prop edited (do it via kernel busybox, yes rooted with z4root). all from this forum procedure. all works perfect on lcd side.
android commander (or droid explorer) borked my eink apps and or system somehow and can not use recovery procedure so only lcd screen working till somebody helps me with this. funny i have full root and adb but can not restore so stucked for the time being.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #30
muranternet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I laugh my ass off with these self-appointed geeks. You need to find some info by yourself instead of believing what ads tell you.

Pearl IS a Vizplex and it is even CHEAPER than the previous Vizplex generations. The better contrast you are talking about is a matter of better hw/sw integration, and it is NOT MUCh better, you're talking about a 15% better contrast.
Market name is Pearl; market name for 1st gen Vizplex is... Vizplex. The only readers that call it Vizplex anywhere a customer can see it are the latest Sonys. I choose the term that is more widely understood than using "Vizplex 220." Even eInk uses the term Pearl.

Marketing claims are 50% improved contrast ratio, though I haven't measured it personally. I'll be glad to take a color analyzer to the PE and the Kindle 3 using a pure white and a pure black image to check if I get the chance.

As for cheaper, not sure why that matters. It's more expensive today to produce a laserdisc fed over composite than a BluRay fed over HDMI.

Still waiting for a usable version of Triton...

Tags
entourage, ermine, keyboard, lcd, pocket edge