Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Greensabre27
Greensabre27 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel black
Question Looking for 7" colour eReader

Hello. I've just joined this site and thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on what I'm looking for. Basically, what I really want in an eReader is a 7" (that's just the right size for me) colour touch screen. I want colour so that I can not only read books, but can use the device to store all my pictures. I'd prefer it not to be hideously expensive (say under $400, anyway). And it needs to be able to read ePubs and pdfs, 'cause I already own several of them which I had purchased for my Sony PRS600 touch that I just lost while on a trip. :-(

From looking around on the web, there are a number of options (so many it makes my head spin) that look promising, though most of them aren't even out yet. I'm kind of interested in getting a tablet, too, at some point, so one that could act as an eReader may work for me. At the moment, I'm leaning towards getting a Pandigital Novel (black) and use it for a year or two while I wait and see how all the others shake out.

Other options that look interesting to me are:
Samsung Galaxy Tab - looks lovely, but considerably more expensive. More the sort of thing I'd be looking at in a year or 2.
Archos 7 - Looks like a reasonably priced starter tablet, but I can't find anything to tell me if it can act as an eReader for my ePubs.
Viewsonic Viewpad 7 - Somewhere between the Galaxy and Archos 7 in price, not sure when it'll be out and again, can it read ePubs?
Elonex 710EB - Looks nice, but they have one of the worst - least informative - websites I've ever seen. No real details on specs or release date.

I think I saw a few more out there, but you probably get my drift. So, leaning towards the Pandigital Novel (black) as a cheap "starter" for now. Anyone have a better idea? Thanks.
Greensabre27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Archos has an entirely new line built off Android 2.2 including a 7" and a 10.1 incher.
Announced prices under US$300.
Pocketbook has a 7in Android tablet announced at IFA and that one is a 4x3 format.
Both should let you install reader apps for the various cross-platform DRM schemes as well as Aldiko. And more apps to come, no doubt.
Spec-wise, the Archos is by far the most promising (1GHz CPU, dedicated 3d GPU, capacitance touch screen, USB client *and* host, HDMI-out).
Can you afford to wait a month or so?
Lots of Android webpads are coming.
And then, early next year, the WinTel Tablets are coming.
Everybody was a piece of the action.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Greensabre27

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Archos has an entirely new line built off Android 2.2 including a 7" and a 10.1 incher.
Announced prices under US$300.
Pocketbook has a 7in Android tablet announced at IFA and that one is a 4x3 format.
Both should let you install reader apps for the various cross-platform DRM schemes as well as Aldiko. And more apps to come, no doubt.
Spec-wise, the Archos is by far the most promising (1GHz CPU, dedicated 3d GPU, capacitance touch screen, USB client *and* host, HDMI-out).
Can you afford to wait a month or so?
Lots of Android webpads are coming.
And then, early next year, the WinTel Tablets are coming.
Everybody was a piece of the action.
Ah, the Archos one you're talking about would be the Archos 70, I assume. That does look promising and yes, I can wait a month or two. I do believe that has now bumped the Pandigital Novel off of the top of my list. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There are strong rumors that Apple is coming out with a 7" iPad, though I've no clue when that might actually happen, maybe pre-Xmas, maybe not. I'd hold off on buying an Android tablet just yet. There are lots of them coming down the pike. Give the market a chance to build some competition, and you'll probably find some great deals on a nice device.

Color e-ink is getting closer, but still some time away.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Greensabre27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
There are strong rumors that Apple is coming out with a 7" iPad, though I've no clue when that might actually happen, maybe pre-Xmas, maybe not. I'd hold off on buying an Android tablet just yet. There are lots of them coming down the pike. Give the market a chance to build some competition, and you'll probably find some great deals on a nice device.

Color e-ink is getting closer, but still some time away.
lol. I seriously doubt I'm *that* patient. One of the problems with technology is that there's always something better coming along. I think the Archos 70 will suit me just fine for now(or within the next month or so, when it hopefully actually comes out) and in a year or 2 I can look around at what's available and upgrade if I feel so inclined.
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
I would not recommend any of the Archos tablets, as none of them can fully access the Android Marketplace. All they have is Appslibs, which has much less applications available.

If I were you, I would wait until sometime around the holidays, as that's most likely when the Notion Ink Adam will come out. It has Nvidia Tegra 2, Android 2.2, a swiveling camera, and can support full HD video (due to the Tegra 2). Also, it will come with a custom UI that's supposed to be optimized for the larger screen and multitasking. If you want to spend a little more money, you can buy the Pixel Qi version of it, so that you can have a low power, full color LCD and something that resembles e-ink. The battery life of this is supposed to be excellent, last I heard it's supposed to be around 10 days with the "e-ink" turned on.

Hope I helped.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This might also be of interest. 13 alternatives to the iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Tab looks pretty sweet. Samsung says they plan on selling 10 Million of them and capturing 1/3 of the slate market. We'll see. Actually, a lot of these are interesting devices.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Galaxy will be sold through Telcos. With attached data-plans. No WiFi-only version.
One third of the slate market? Doubtful; the slate market is looking to be heavily biased towards in-home use. The telco contract is going to be more of a drag than a plus for sales.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Greensabre27

Smile

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!