Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read fanfics on iPad?
Yes! Its the greatest invention for fiction reading . 6 66.67%
Sometimes if I'm kinda board. 0 0%
No, Why would I do that? 2 22.22%
Whats and iPad? 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
araevin
araevin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Does Anybody Used their iPad for fanfiction?

How many people use their iPad for fanfiction?
araevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I've read such things on my Kindle but not on the iPad. The iPad is great for reading stuff like magazines, but it is not imho the best for long-form fiction reading. If I have a long story or novel-like document, it is much more comfortable to read it on the Kindle. I reserve the 'reading on the iPad' experience to my Zinio subscrips.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Fanfiction.net and Farscapeworld.com are 2 of my favorites. I have many Farscape mini stories on my home computer from these sites and feed them to my ipad for quick reads. I put them in ReaddleDocs.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I do read Fanfics on both my iPhone and iPad, though not in the usual way.

For Stuff I like I tend to make a local copy (Usually a Text file) which makes for easier rereading offline and for when stuff just disappears. I usually use Files (and now Files HD on the iPad) as I like the ability to organise in folders, Search, Bookmarking, etc that it enables me to do.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
araevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I do read Fanfics on both my iPhone and iPad, though not in the usual way.

For Stuff I like I tend to make a local copy (Usually a Text file) which makes for easier rereading offline and for when stuff just disappears. I usually use Files (and now Files HD on the iPad) as I like the ability to organise in folders, Search, Bookmarking, etc that it enables me to do.
Would you actually use an app that saved a local copy to your ipad?
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by araevin View Post
Would you actually use an app that saved a local copy to your ipad?
Possibly, but Doubtful, as I like to maintain a master copy on my PC, and syncing back stuff from the iPad can be a bit of a pain.

If I am reading new stuff on the iPad (Which is pretty rare) I usually just read it online, and archive it when I get back to my computer.

I've had limited success with fic download programs like FFDownloader, so I usually prefer my own manual approach.

Still if a App came about which allowed saving of Multi Chapter Fics on the iPad, and allowed easy sync with a computer, I'll be more then willing to try it out.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
thomasmorus
Connoisseur
thomasmorus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Fan Fiction Downloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Possibly, but Doubtful, as I like to maintain a master copy on my PC, and syncing back stuff from the iPad can be a bit of a pain.

If I am reading new stuff on the iPad (Which is pretty rare) I usually just read it online, and archive it when I get back to my computer.

I've had limited success with fic download programs like FFDownloader, so I usually prefer my own manual approach.

Still if a App came about which allowed saving of Multi Chapter Fics on the iPad, and allowed easy sync with a computer, I'll be more then willing to try it out.
I found two downloders who are working pretty good:

http://www.home-eisele.de/downloader.php
Here you find his old one: Version 4.0.6:
Works fantastic for 11 different sites including fan . fiction . net and adult fanfiction, if you download html and then convert using calibre - however does not download metadata

The new version is quit new:
http://www.fanfictiondownloader.net/
Version 0.0.j - works only for 3 fan fiction sites (but works for Fan fiction net) and if you download the epup version you get the metadata when you pull it into calibre!
thomasmorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmorus View Post
The new version is quit new:
http://www.fanfictiondownloader.net/
Version 0.0.j - works only for 3 fan fiction sites (but works for Fan fiction net) and if you download the epup version you get the metadata when you pull it into calibre!
I think this is the one I used to use back when there was a mac version... If so, it is quite nice. In trying to find downloaders I could use on my mac, I eventually ended up going with web services, or reading at sites that support ePub downloads. The nice thing about that is that I can download directly on my iPad or Touch. Now, if only I could get Mobile Safari to redirect the download to Dropbox, or find some other way to sync the disparate libraries.

The services I have used:
http://flag.erayd.net/ (only supports ffn, but offers HTML, LRF and PDF files as well as ePub, and can email the files)
http://fanfictionloader.appspot.com/ (my main one now, supports lots of sites and includes a nice summary of the metadata on the first page, but requires a google account to use)

Sites that allow you to download ePubs directly:
fanficauthors.net
tthfanfic.org
finestories.com (actually this is mostly general fiction, but fanfiction is supported)

Good luck!
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
araevin

an iPad survey for a Fan-fiction app please let us know what the community needs http://jetrois.polldaddy.com/s/new-survey
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
erayd
Zealot
erayd doesn't littererayd doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
The services I have used:
http://flag.erayd.net/ (only supports ffn, but offers HTML, LRF and PDF files as well as ePub, and can email the files)
This site had a significant update late last month - it now supports several more source sites, and produces much nicer output than the older version used to. It's also now capable of outputting mobi (kindle) files directly.
erayd is offline   Reply With Quote