Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #46
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
First of all, thanks for the information on attractive machines. If you can sell 9.7in machine at the stated price, I will pick up one in a heartbeat if PDF support is reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
it will support English, Spanish, German, French, Chinese (Big 5), and Japanese.
BTW, could you consider supporting Korean as well? If you can support Chinese and Japanese, I guess it will not be hard to implement Korean as well. With minimal effort, you may be able to increase your potential market size.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #47
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
if you *don't* post photos, you know we're all going to show up at your house to see it for ourselves. and the drinks are on you.
Alrighty then! BTW, drinks are limited to non-alcoholic (I'm LDS) and someone has to spring for the wood chips, Jack Daniels (for soaking the wood chips) the pork butts & ribs and the beef briskets! I'll go tune up the barbecue!

Derek
Advert
Old 04-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #48
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well, it still hasn't been answered whether this is the same as the Netronix EB-100.
I agree that this is likely to be from Netronix, but it is probably the EB-200, i.e. with WinCE rather than Linux. For example, the EB-210 will have WiFi and a touchscreen and it runs WinCE. Is there also an EB-110 with Linux? The EB-100 and EB-200 hardware seems to be the same though.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #49
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Not crazy about WinCE, but the price point sounds good.

Is LIT considered a dead format? MS Reader would seem obvious on a WinCE machine, wouldn't it? And that would give them another major DRM format. (Not that I care about DRM support, but commercial ebook readers probably need them to make it in the market.)

I'd be interested in knowing if the "optional" touch screen is pressure-sensitive. It was my understanding that the less expensive touch screens are too opaque for reflective-only e-ink screens, which is why the iLiad uses a more expensive pressure-sensitive Wacom screen (despite the fact that the software STILL doesn't support pressure sensitivity).
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'd be interested in knowing if the "optional" touch screen is pressure-sensitive. It was my understanding that the less expensive touch screens are too opaque for reflective-only e-ink screens, which is why the iLiad uses a more expensive pressure-sensitive Wacom screen (despite the fact that the software STILL doesn't support pressure sensitivity).
The Netronix EB-300 will have stylus and finger touch capability, which I think rules out Wacom.
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #51
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Not crazy about WinCE, but the price point sounds good.

Is LIT considered a dead format? MS Reader would seem obvious on a WinCE machine, wouldn't it? And that would give them another major DRM format. (Not that I care about DRM support, but commercial ebook readers probably need them to make it in the market.)

I do not think MS Reader ever ran on WinCE, It needs PPC (Windows Mobile) features to run.

Dale
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #52
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
this sounds great might be everyones Christmas gift this year if they turn out well. toll on May 14th
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #53
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by electristan View Post
this sounds great might be everyones Christmas gift this year if they turn out well. toll on May 14th
oh, that's so thoughtful ! now i feel bad, i wasn't planning to get you anything.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #54
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do not think MS Reader ever ran on WinCE, It needs PPC (Windows Mobile) features to run.

Dale
It's confusing, but Windows CE has sort of been the generic name for the OEM version of Windows Mobile (which is what MS is calling the platform this week) since the Dark Ages. I would imagine that a new product like this ebook reader will be using a current OEM version of Windows Mobile. As to what features will be included (including the ability to run MS Reader), that is up to the OEM. They can pick and choose which parts of the OS they want to use. It is all modular. They could even decide to write their own LIT reader, as the SDK and some DLLs are available.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:50 AM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
It's confusing, but Windows CE has sort of been the generic name for the OEM version of Windows Mobile (which is what MS is calling the platform this week) since the Dark Ages. I would imagine that a new product like this ebook reader will be using a current OEM version of Windows Mobile. As to what features will be included (including the ability to run MS Reader), that is up to the OEM. They can pick and choose which parts of the OS they want to use. It is all modular. They could even decide to write their own LIT reader, as the SDK and some DLLs are available.
It can be confusing. WinCE is the underlying OS of all Windows based PDAs while PPC aka Windows Mobile since 2003 is a specific set of tools and support on top of WinCE. Note that Windows Mobile platforms requires certification by Microsoft which a charge a lot of money for while WinCE does not. WinCE is certainly the OEM version but it is in no way the same as Windows Mobile. Windows Mobile is also an OEM version that includes the Windows Mobile UI and certification as well as a suite of applications. WinCE can be purchased ala carte with basic features or add ons but the suite of addons is different from a Windows Mobile device. Note that is not a third OS for smartphones which is basically Window Mobile for devices without touch screen.

Dale
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #56
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post

Pictures are not so easy as changes are still being made. It is an awesome gloss black front bezel with orange sides and back... very attractive. I am afraid to put up pictures as they may change between now and release.

Bob
That sounds a lot like the Netronix EB-300, not that there is anything wrong with that. Judging by the image on the Netronix page (well, the non-dog image on the PDF that's linked from that page), you can see a hint of orange around the sides. I'm assuming you're dealing with similar suppliers.

(I don't want to scare Robertb away as I hope to be buying an e-ink reader from somebody soon, and the more details the better! A guy's gotta budget for these things, you know.)

I have yet to buy a dedicated reader of any kind. This current crop just might do it for me, although I can't decide between a simple 6" model that just reads docs of various types or a more robust 9.7" device that also has wifi access. (If I could add a USB keyboard for creating text documents, I'm in heaven...basically, I dream of a low-powered PADD/ word processor.)

PS: Longtime reader, first time poster.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #57
lawizard50
lawizard50 began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 8700c
I look forward to seeing this out soon!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #58
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems like a great product! I am about to buy myself a sony reader when I go to NY this summer. I just might wait and pick one of these up instead. The 9inch screen would be really really great!

Is the releasedate of august a optimistic guess or almost a fact?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
How will these devices be distributed? Retail stores like Walmart and Target in addition to book stores like B&N and Boorders would be ideal. Of course being able to get them online from Amazon and ebooks stores like Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard and eReader would be nice too.

BTW: Seems to me if you are going to choose between eReader support and MobiPocket support that Mobi is more popular than eReader. Or is that not true?

BOb
Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #60
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Trouble is, Amazon wants MobiPocket format only, or no MobiPocket format at all. They don't want to share the sandbox.

So it's not a question of eReader or MobiPocket, it's a question of just MobiPocket or anything else.
Closed Thread

Tags
astak mentor, e ink, e-book reader, idpg show, touchscreen, wireless