Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
bmcox
Connoisseur
bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bmcox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Anyone see this? Thoughts? "Of Bestselling Frustrations and Opening Day"

http://heydeadguy.typepad.com/heydea...ening-day.html
bmcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I can't say he's wrong. Write something and you think 'this is good,' but wait a month or so and re-read what you wrote and you notice all the little flaws that your 'perfect piece of prose' had at the time of writing.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcox View Post
I see it all the time and I'm not sure who to blame. I constantly see authors getting crappy marketing advice, but I also have to hold them accountable for following it blindly and not seeing that these tactics are annoying and childish.

One year for the 48 Hour Film competition, our team did not fare well in awards, and the judges felt the need to give us one of what we call the Crap Awards, which is sort of like a pity prize. We got "Best Zombies". We had the only zombies in the competition.

This was not something to be proud of. It was something we mentioned with a good-humored laugh and an eyeroll, but if we'd actually taken it seriously in any way, we'd have been laughed right out of the local film industry.

Calling your book a bestseller in a minute genre subdivision is like giving yourself a Crap Award. It's sad.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd think it would turn potential readers off as well. I mean if the writer is so pretentious as to claim his/her book is so great what does that say about the quality of their writing?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote