Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I love the Selected Shorts series, available on CD, where I can rip each story as a single file; they average 30 - 60 minutes each. I have quite a few as WMA's, so am considering converting them to mp3's as they'd be perfect for the 650, along with podcasts.
They're available via Audible and Overdrive, but that way one can't separate out the individual stories.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #32
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Since the last time this thread was active, I have found the freeware mp3tag (from a German developer) to be excellent at creating custom playlists (albums) using the workaround I previously suggested. It is much quicker and easier than iTunes. It is very good at batch-editing a group of files and also can auto-renumber your tracks to force-order the songs in your album when they display on your ereader.

You can download the program from cnet. Just search on mp3tag. It gets 5 stars from the CNET Editor and there is also a brief Editor's review.

Last edited by Bookworm_Girl; 12-04-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 AM   #33
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
@Bookworm_Girl
When you made the test with the "playlist" - did you change the filename for ordering the titles (e.g. from test.mp3 to 01-test.mp3) or did you change the tag "title" e.g. from "in the air tonight" to "01 - in the air tonight"?
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #34
whitepaper
whitepaper began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
For me, the music player also can only play one song each time. Need manually click other song. This is really stupid. Luckily I only used it as a reader.
whitepaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #35
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
@Bookworm_Girl
When you made the test with the "playlist" - did you change the filename for ordering the titles (e.g. from test.mp3 to 01-test.mp3) or did you change the tag "title" e.g. from "in the air tonight" to "01 - in the air tonight"?
My files are named "01 title.mp3", "02 title.mp3", "03 title.mp3", etc. I changed the ordering within the software. For example, in iTunes you can edit the Track number in the song information. You can also edit Track number in the mp3tag freeware. It even had a sort button shortcut in the main menu which made it quick to sort. I thought the mp3tag software was quite good and a much easier and speedier process than using iTunes for the playlist album workaround. It's for PC only though. I had to run it in a virtual Windows desktop on my Mac. I couldn't find a Mac equivalent that was as powerful and free, although I'm sure there is one out there.
Advert
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I was thinking further about your question. I ordered my tracks with the software say 1 to 30 in my new "fake" album that creates the playlist. mp3tag didn't change the name of the files to be 01 to 30 so I have still multiple 01s, multiple 02s, etc because it kept the filenames from the original sources. The 950 must read the order from the Track field in the metadata. There might be a way to use the filename structure to accomplish the same thing, but I haven't experimented with it.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #37
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I was thinking further about your question. I ordered my tracks with the software say 1 to 30 in my new "fake" album that creates the playlist. mp3tag didn't change the name of the files to be 01 to 30 so I have still multiple 01s, multiple 02s, etc because it kept the filenames from the original sources. The 950 must read the order from the Track field in the metadata. There might be a way to use the filename structure to accomplish the same thing, but I haven't experimented with it.
OK, thank you. I changed the tag "title" with 01, 02, etc. in front - now the 950 displays the titles in the correct order. It shows the track-# too (below the title), but there's no way to sort by track-#.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM   #38
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
OK, thank you. I changed the tag "title" with 01, 02, etc. in front - now the 950 displays the titles in the correct order. It shows the track-# too (below the title), but there's no way to sort by track-#.
When you open the audio application, it shows your albums. It gives you the option to sort by either Artist or Title for your albums. Now open up one of your albums. In the right-hand corner, my 950 says that it is sorting "by Track". When you click the Option button, there is no menu item to change this sort like there was on the album list page. Therefore, I think it is sorting the songs by Track by default, which also appears to be the only method. Once you start playing a song, then you have the option to shuffle the songs in random track order. I don't have any 01, 02, 03 etc in my song titles. The numbers are only in my filenames. The titles of my songs are all words.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #39
ThR
Tatütatuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
When you open the audio application, it shows your albums. It gives you the option to sort by either Artist or Title for your albums. Now open up one of your albums. In the right-hand corner, my 950 says that it is sorting "by Track". When you click the Option button, there is no menu item to change this sort like there was on the album list page. Therefore, I think it is sorting the songs by Track by default, which also appears to be the only method. Once you start playing a song, then you have the option to shuffle the songs in random track order. I don't have any 01, 02, 03 etc in my song titles. The numbers are only in my filenames. The titles of my songs are all words.
Your 950 says "sort by track"? Thats all I want to have. Mine says "sort by title" and no possibility to change this. Maybe I'm to stupid to handle this device. OK, what I have to do is finding out, how to change this.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #40
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Your 950 says "sort by track"? Thats all I want to have. Mine says "sort by title" and no possibility to change this. Maybe I'm to stupid to handle this device. OK, what I have to do is finding out, how to change this.
Yes, that's right. It says "By Track" in the song list. On the list of albums, I have a drop down list in the upper right corner that lets me choose between title and artist. I currently have it sorted by artist. Once I open an album, then I have a list of all of the songs on that album. Each song has the song title in big letters and the track number in smaller letters. The upper right corner says "By Track". There is no drop-down box, and there is no item in the Options Menu to change it either.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:45 AM   #41
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
I thought that listening to music while reading was a rather cool feature to have until I actually tried it on my 505. I found, like many others, that the battery was being spent faster - which is obvious - but also the battery life gets affected on the whole.

Because of this experience I haven't even tried playing music on 950.

So, to those who have been listening to music on it, does the battery on 950 react the same as 505?
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #42
ThR
Tatütatuter

Since the last charging (sunday afternoon) I read for 16 hours and heard music for 10 hours. The battery-level is 50% by now. No problem for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #43
ThR
Tatütatuter

Something new from power consumption: I changed the sd-card from 1 to 8 GB (SDHC, "original" sony, the new card is full of mp3-files). The power consumption increases dramatically: 2 hours reading with hearing mp3 + 2 hours reading without mp3 results in a battery-level under 75%.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #44
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
Thanks for this post.
It helped me figure out how to play ALL my songs in one group (album). I appreciate it!
kelliedn is offline   Reply With Quote