Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Those with both an ereader and an I Touch, please respond

I am really struggling with a decision. I know most of the arguments comparing the two (size, eink vs backlit, price, etc etc), but what I would like to know is for those of you who are avid readers which of the two could you not part with if you could only have one?
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If I had to choose, I would choose the iPod Touch only because I find it serviceable enough as an ereader and I cannot live without its other features (it replaced, for me, three other devices!) But with that said, I do really enjoy my Sony and read more on it now than I do on the iPod Touch. I also like that the Sony looks more like a book so it is less conspicuous to read around co-workers who assume an ipod is just for music and games.

For me, I do play games and listen to music/watch video on the ipod, so I would want it regardless of the ebook aspect. There are days I travel lightly and carry only that, there are also days I bring the Sony too. There are times where the Sony is a much better choice for me (e.g. at the gym, I can't read a tiny screen while moving) and loading content is easier on the Sony as you don't need an internet connection.

So I guess it comes down, for me, not so much to whether the iPod Touch is a good reader or not but its other functions. If I had to choose, I would privilege those other functions, but it does not mean it would be my preference for reading.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
As an avid reader, I'd give up my iPod Touch. I could easily go back to my Palm, which has many of the same features as the iPod Touch, (music, audiobooks, reading apps limited video as well as its PIM features). The iPod Touch is more robust than my Palm but I'd survive without it.

I would *not* be reading as mush as I am now if I only had my Touch or Palm. In fact, just owning my Kindle had kicked me back into being an avid reader (I haven't been one in some years).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
iphone vs eb150

While I can read on my iphone, and read my first full length novel on it the other night. I would say I would keep my eb1150 over the iphone as a ereader.

My main gripe? iphone you have to turn the pages ALL the time. With even a slightly larger screen I feel like I don't have to change the page as much. I also find the larger eb1150 is more comfortable to hold, where the iphone is a tad small for long periods of time, even with my little hands. I also like being able to push a button to switch the page, with the iphone you have to touch the screen.

The bright side, the contrast of the text with the iphone screen is very crisp and it is lighted, I found it comfortable on my eyes. I don't have an eink reader normally so I am used to having a lcd type screen.

Also being able to order kindle books is great, because there have been books that I have wanted but have not been released through other ebook seller websites. The bad news? Being able to instantly order books could cause my book reading expenses to go up exponentially!

Overall it is probably a personal preference.

The iphone is great because it is multifunctional, which is why I have it, and I will keep books on it for times when I don't have my eb1150 with me. But my eb1150 will be my primary ereader.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I have both. I much prefer my EZ Reader, but I Touch is very servicable. For me, the battery life is the Touch downfall as a eReader.

Last edited by smithno; 04-04-2009 at 08:37 PM.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If I could have an Iphone the decision would be moot, as that is definitely the way I would go. But I cannot afford the ongoing cost of the iphone. So, the Touch or a dedicated reader are my only option. My biggest problem with the reader is the limited text size. The Sony, the only one I would consider, only has 3 sizes and in some books even the largest is to small. So, some books I might never get for my reader and the thought of really wanting to read a certain book and having to read it on paper while my $300 reader sits idle would bug the snot out of me.

Thanks for the input, but I am still not sure which way to go. The battery life and small screen of the Touch has me concerned. I know my regular cell phone is a pain with it having to be charged every 3rd day and all, and I don't hardly use it. So, I bet the Touch would even be worse. That does not sound appealing at all.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
jsuplido
@jsuplido
jsuplido began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-300
I can't part with my iPhone. I have a Sony Reader but I almost always read with my iPhone (same screen as the iPod touch), which is always with me. Plus, it's really great to check out and try the many apps in the App Store -- for the times when I'm not reading.

My main problem actually is which ebook reader to stick with: eReader or Stanza. Both of which are continually updated and just gets better.

Good luck!
jsuplido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:06 PM   #8
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
I have both a Sony 505 and an iPod Touch. If it's solely for the function of reading, I'd give up the iPod Touch. Reading on the Sony is just more comfortable for me, and there's just no comparison when it comes to battery life. The Touch comes in handy for reading in cases when I don't have the Sony with me (it's small and easy to carry around). However, the Touch is so useful in many other ways besides reading that I would be hard pressed to give it up entirely.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you're going some place where you don't have wifi access (ergo, no easy access to content), do consider that it's a pain transferring a bunch of ebooks to the iPod Touch. You basically have to save each book one by one via wifi while you're still at home. I guess that's akin to trying to figure out which paperbooks to bring with you when you travel. However, isn't one of the advantages of getting an ebook reader being able to bring a whole library of books with you so you have a wealth of reading selections to choose from?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My wife has an iPod Touch and I would give it up easily because if I was to purchase a new DAP, I'd go with one of the Cowon models that play more music formats and is not made by Apple. Also, the battery life of the iPod Touch is terrible to use as a dedicated eBook display device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #11
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I gave up the Sony, as I rarely used it, but the Touch is my keeper. Certainly the Sony had some specific advantages, the eInk is very nice, and the battery life is great. The Touch is just a better all-around device, for me at least.

The battery life is not nearly as good, but reading for two to three hours a day, I still only need to recharge every three days or so. The wireless access to my usual sources of ebooks (eReader, Feedbooks, Smashwords, etc.) is great. It is always handy, and I can read in any light, or lack thereof. Transferring files from the desktop is a weakness, no question, though Calibre seems to work well for most people. For myself, I find that most of my content is direct-download so it not been much of an issue.

Your mileage may vary. Ultimately, it comes down to how you'll use it. As someone mentioned, if you don't have any WiFi access, the Touch would be a very poor choice. I only have WiFi at home, but it is all I need and very useful.

Good luck with your decision.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
Mrgauth
Addict

Thanks all. I think the decision may be moot because I am finding too many faults with the ereader to possibly even consider it now. There are some major obstacles that it just can't seem to get past that as of yet I have not seen on Ipod books.

What might just save the Ipod as a reader for me is the new Kindle app. I found access to Amazon's complete Kindle library to be a huge advantage. No klugey formatting or applications needed to get the books to the Touch. Just buy and load. Loooove that. Will most likely go with the Touch.

Another question now arises. Do any of you Touch users find it annoying to be turning pages all the time. Because you gotta be turning pages constantly and frequently right?

Does that get old. Me, with my poor eyesight will have the font so high that there will most likely not be more than 3 words per line and thus I will be turning pages every 5 seconds. Issues with that?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Will you enjoy reading small text on a small screen through a haze of fingerprints and having the battery die in the middle of reading?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
Do any of you Touch users find it annoying to be turning pages all the time. Because you gotta be turning pages constantly and frequently right?

Does that get old. Me, with my poor eyesight will have the font so high that there will most likely not be more than 3 words per line and thus I will be turning pages every 5 seconds. Issues with that?
It does not bother me at all, though it is one of the reasons I do not use the Kindle app. Both Stanza and eReader apps can be set to page turn with a tap rather than a swipe. It may seem a rather subtle difference, but I find the swiping gets old rather quickly, while the taps don't bother me. I do keep the font fairly large when I read without my glasses (which I often do in bed).

The Kindle app is not quite as mature as Stanza and eReader, so some of the options, are not available. I expect we will see some revisions in the future, but for now the Kindle app is pretty bare bones. Some of the other options offered on one or both of the others include custom fonts, colors (including inverse or custom night schemes), screen rotation, dictionary integration, margins/line spacing and others. Of course, neither offers access to the Kindle books or whispersync functionality, so another trade off.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Will you enjoy reading small text on a small screen through a haze of fingerprints
My answer is, at least to the latter premise, "Yes". I have almost never noticed a "haze" of fingerprints on my iPod Touch, and, when I have noticed similar (full sun perhaps), I've wiped it on my shirt/shorts/whatever to clean it. I am a frequent user of it, mostly with applications that require touching the screen continuously, but "fingerprints" have never been a problem worth noting to myself. I cannot empathise with the reactions of those who do find them bothersome.

Quote:
and having the battery die in the middle of reading?
Well, as my usage patterns would generally have me only reading this for rare moments of unexpected downtime away from home, I'd only foresee me reading on it for 10's of minutes rather than hours. If I used it as my primary reading device, that would be in bed, where I'd inevitably have my charging cable handy to keep it charged. So, this would also likely not be a problem worth noting to me.

Having both, if I had to give up either, I'd easily give up the Iliad. The iPod Touch is a multi-application device out of which I get a hell of a lot of non-reading-related use through its available applications (and then there's the music), and even if I didn't want to actually read on it, in the absence of the Iliad I can still get all the pbooks I want. For preference to read on, however, the Iliad wins by a large margin.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote