Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
It is in excellent ereader. I wish I had known about embedding fonts before I rooted, then got rid of mine. But I like my Kobo Mini better....if I am going to have an unlighted reader, that is the one I want.

But I am holding out hope for a smaller Nook!

Last edited by booklover6; 10-23-2013 at 10:09 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
New Nook on Thursday???

Rumor: Barnes & Noble To Launch New Nook E-Reader Thursday, October 31
Quote:
I’ve heard now from multiple sources who have asked to remain anonymous due to confidentiality agreements that Barnes & Noble will be releasing a new Nook e-reader this week — Thursday, October 31, to be exact. It will be an upgraded version of the Nook With GlowLight back-lit e-reader.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Trick or Treat?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Trick or Treat?
Lets hope for a treat.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Lets hope for a treat.
I'd be interested in seeing a new nook. But I do hope the software side of the new nook has been improved. What's on the nook STR is well, CRAP!

No collections, no way to get fonts working properly when accessed from outside of the ePub, a large empty space at the top of the screen when reading that's totally a waste of screen space, the font choices are worthless, no way to add in your own fonts, home screen and library screen too crapped up with B&N suggestions and books you've bought from B&N, memory divided between B&N bought books and side-loaded books with side loaded losing out, font handling is not all that good. Fonts get to be a tad lighter then they should be, and other assorted odd and ends.

Overall, the nook's software leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-29-2013 at 03:26 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I am definitely looking forward to see what they have to offer since Sony appears not to be an option anymore. Hoping it's a treat!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, I am definitely looking forward to see what they have to offer since Sony appears not to be an option anymore. Hoping it's a treat!
I'm hoping B&N go for the new screens and not the previous screens like Sony did with the T3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping B&N go for the new screens and not the previous screens like Sony did with the T3.
Probably depends on if they're generally available yet or if Amazon is taking up the entire production.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #39
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
It's heeere... http://gizmodo.com/barnes-and-nobles...ght-1454377089

I haven't found any very informative or well informed write-ups yet, but it's a real thing.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #40
Chapter One
Screen Swiper
Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chapter One ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STwG, Nook HD+, Kindle Voyage.
HHmmm... all I can really think is why have they used the tree symbol. Couldnt they come up with something new?
Chapter One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
How disappointing. It looks like they didn't change the UI at all, still the bottom half of the screen taken up with "recommendations/ads." A tiny amount of storage for side loaded content, and a slow processor, and no SD card slot.....I'll keep my money. I'm willing to bet you can't add your own fonts, either.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-30-2013 at 06:58 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #42
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
Write up with you tube video:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...glowlight-2013
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 AM   #43
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
I'm a bit disappointed. Light seemed very bluish and no black color available. I'm afraid it won't be possible to root due to the lack of SD.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #44
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
With what I have seen so far, I will not be giving this any consideration. This is the most locked-down reader out there because of the tiny amount of space available for non-B&N content. Of all the readers, it really do need a SD card.

Last edited by jersysman; 10-30-2013 at 06:03 PM.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #45
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

4GB Memory: 2.5GB for content, of which 2GB reserved for B&N content, meaning 500MB for sideloaded stuff. Coupled with no microSD and that just seems like a complete fail to me.

No Carta screen (granted they might not have been able to include this), same OS & Processor as the old model glow and they removed the page turn buttons that attracted some folks who would have otherwise bought something else.

I was really hoping B&N would surprise with something exciting. For me at least they didn't.