Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Sleep mode on Glo

Is the purpose of this mode so one doesn't accidentally turn a page?
Does it use less power than leaving it on a page (which theoretically shouldn't use much power at all).

Thanks!
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
Is the purpose of this mode so one doesn't accidentally turn a page?
Does it use less power than leaving it on a page (which theoretically shouldn't use much power at all).

Thanks!
While it's true that the screen does not use any energy to retain it's state, unlike an LCD, it's a popular myth that eink readers consume no energy while you are not turning pages.

When you just leave the device on a page without sleeping it, there are still some systems active in 'low-power' mode because they are 'listening' for things such as someone touching the screen. By moving the unit to 'sleep' mode, you shut down/suspend some more systems to save more battery.

Last edited by SameerH; 10-01-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: using english this time
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Thank you for your quick reply!
If you can set an option to hide the status bar at the bottom of the screen I'd be forever in your debt!

Last edited by rainio; 10-01-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Double tapping zooms in on pdfs
Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Marbouk
Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Marbouk solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainio View Post
Thank you for your quick reply!
If you can set an option to hide the status bar at the bottom of the screen I'd be forever in your debt!
If you mean the black bar across the bottom, you can set it to clear under settings, light,sleep&power / light indicator appears :

This is a must change. The black bar is very distracting, especially when the screen refreshes.
Marbouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
I disagree, I find that the black-bar helps to smooth out the light. I did try it without the black bar but found the light seemed more even when the bottom section was blacked out.

Great to have the option though to turn it off though.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by feenix1363 View Post
I disagree, I find that the black-bar helps to smooth out the light. I did try it without the black bar but found the light seemed more even when the bottom section was blacked out.

Great to have the option though to turn it off though.
I think that's because the 'clear' option is textured more like a glass bar. I'm surprised at how light and relatively small the Glo is, myself - the Mini is about the size of my phone, but the Glo isn't much larger.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
When I use the clear option, I have a greyish area at the bottom covering maybe a quarter of the bar. Is that just me?
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
rainio
Connoisseur

Kobokobe, that's exactly what I was talking about - a light greyish bar (not the black status bar!).

In the "First Impressions on Kobo" one of the Kobo employees says they tried to reduce this grey area but it is part of the LED light system.
It's not that bad, anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #9
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I only have a small section, which I think is the 'clear' texture, which is supposed to look like glass. The glow is otherwise very even, thus far.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

I really like the sleep mode on the Kobo Glo. It's so fast to switch off and and back on again.

But I'd be interested to know how much or how little power it consumes compared to a full shutdown. If it uses no power or close to none then it's almost worth not using the full shutdown very often.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Dayle
Dayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura aboutDayle has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm interested to know what the screen is supposed to look like in sleep mode? I'm sure at one point I had "the happy face guy" with his eyes closed and sleeping on my screen but now when I use sleep mode (quick flick of button) it just says sleep mode on the top of the screen and I see the cover of the book I'm reading. I see the same cover when I turn the reader off (holding down the button) The book cover never goes away. Is this normal? Will it burn into my screen? How do I get the "sleepy guy" back again? Just wondering - I'm a newbie to Kobo, my previous 3 ereaders were all Sony products. Thanks!
Dayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
I'm interested to know what the screen is supposed to look like in sleep mode? I'm sure at one point I had "the happy face guy" with his eyes closed and sleeping on my screen but now when I use sleep mode (quick flick of button) it just says sleep mode on the top of the screen and I see the cover of the book I'm reading. I see the same cover when I turn the reader off (holding down the button) The book cover never goes away. Is this normal? Will it burn into my screen? How do I get the "sleepy guy" back again? Just wondering - I'm a newbie to Kobo, my previous 3 ereaders were all Sony products. Thanks!
You can do this in settings, under light, sleep and power I believe. It would be called something like display book cover? The reason you had the smiley Kobo guy thing was most likely because you hadn't opened a book yet after purchasing your device. But it IS normal for the cover of your previous read book to show when the device is sleeping or powered off. I've never heard of it causing any damage.

Last edited by kobokobe; 10-11-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
kobokobe
I am what I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
I really like the sleep mode on the Kobo Glo. It's so fast to switch off and and back on again.

But I'd be interested to know how much or how little power it consumes compared to a full shutdown. If it uses no power or close to none then it's almost worth not using the full shutdown very often.
This topic has been discussed quite extensively for Kobo Touch. I've never conducted a controlled experiment or anything (too many uncontrollable variables), but in my experience, doing a full shut-down and starting up again seems to waste a lot of battery, unless you are not planning on using the device for a long time. Especially if you pick up your Kobo multiple times a day. What I do is put it to sleep and only power down at night when I go to bed, but I'm trying turning it off even less often, and will see how that goes.

Of course, this was mostly for the Touch, but there seems to be no evidence to suggest this will be any different for the Glo.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle View Post
With an e-ink screen, you don't have to worry about image burn.

Displaying the cover while in sleep mode or off is an option you can turn off. You'll find it under settings/sleep&power under the "screensaver" heading. When the option is turned off, you'll get the sleeping Kobo.

ETA: Oops, I see kobokobe already replied. Note to self - hit refresh before replying to a post that's been sitting open in a window for a bit to see if someone else has already replied.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
With an e-ink screen, you don't have to worry about image burn.
Just to elaborate, eInk isn't made of light, so there's nothing to burn. When you see pixels on the screen it's just the 'ink' that's moved to the surface so you can see it. When there's no black pixels (so where it's white), the 'ink' is at the bottom. Nothing moves or vibrates, it just sits there. That's why it doesn't cost any energy to stay the way it is. The only time the 'ink' uses energy is when the screen changes.

So there's no difference in screen or 'ink' 'wear and tear' between using the smiley guy or the book cover in sleep and/or off mode. Which you display is up to personal taste. I prefer to see the book cover, as it reminds me of what book I'm reading (not that I'd forget, it's just nice to see), and it makes the reading experience a lot more like real paper books, where you'd also see the cover when you close the book. Plus, seeing the cover is (as far as I know) unique to the Kobo devices. It makes the Kindles look silly with their standard screen savers
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote