Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
Bronte
Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Bronte is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle
For Those That Like Christian Fiction...

I just finished reading a two book suspense series by Michelle Sutton. Danger At The Door, and In Plain Sight. Both are equally great reads!
The link to her author page on Amazon is below.
http://www.amazon.com/Michelle-Sutto...qid=1311809690
Bronte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
What is christian fiction? What is the difference between that and general fiction?
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Christian fiction has strong Christian themes. The good guys are Christians, and some level of devout; bad guys are not Christians; sex is kept non-explicit if it happens at all; homosexuality tends to be non-existent or evil. Often, the story can be used as a lesson tied to a bible verse or small set of verses. Sometimes salvation is a strong theme. Sometimes the Christian elements are somewhat disguised, as in a fantasy novel with different names for everything, but it's still the same recognizable pattern.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
From the ones that I've read, usually no explicit sex and at least one character who's an example of happily living the Christian faith. There can be characters who don't follow any religion or are antagonistic to religion, but sooner or later they come to acknowledge at least that there is a higher power and that the character who is Christian is admirable and might be clued into something that they are not.

I try to not read it because I always get the feeling that the story has been sanitized for my safety, and I keep waiting for the preaching shoe to drop.

@ Bronte: You might like the Ray Quinn mysteries by Mark Mynheir, "The Night Watchman" and "The Corruptible". I reviewed them for Amazon and I liked the stories and the characters. Not preachy at all; I didn't even realize the first book was supposed to be Christian fiction when I chose it to review. I know that Ray Quinn is going to see the light sooner or later, but the author is realistically portraying his resistance to doing so.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
... boring. I was starting to imagine there would be something like a gangs of New York thing with one bad ass guy called JC that talked like Marlon Brandon in the Godfather, or a bank robber that uses his invisibility powers and had twelve accomplices
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Christian fiction has strong Christian themes. The good guys are Christians, and some level of devout; bad guys are not Christians; sex is kept non-explicit if it happens at all; homosexuality tends to be non-existent or evil. Often, the story can be used as a lesson tied to a bible verse or small set of verses. Sometimes salvation is a strong theme. Sometimes the Christian elements are somewhat disguised, as in a fantasy novel with different names for everything, but it's still the same recognizable pattern.
this doesn't seem correct to me. although i've only read part of one christian fiction book.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
this doesn't seem correct to me. although i've only read part of one christian fiction book.
What doesn't seem correct about it? That's exactly how I would describe it.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchleyportrait View Post
Then you should probably read more, to get a better take on the subject.

Remember, too, that there are different degrees of Christian fiction. There's the type that is written by an author out to convince an audience that being Christian is the only way to go. There's the type that's written by an author who is trying to write a story that fits in with the parameters of their particular flavor of Christianity. And then there are the authors who are jumping on the Christian fiction bandwagon either to take advantage of its popularity or to increase their readership base, and merely pop in a Christian character and remove the sex and innuendo from their stories.

Then you have authors like Anne Rice who are flip-flopping around the topic and the rationales like a beached fish.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
...Then you have authors like Anne Rice who are flip-flopping around the topic and the rationales like a beached fish.
That makes her the only vaguely ineresting prospect! Is she a bad writer, or does she just refuse to come out for one side or the other?

There's no interest in reading a bible, or in reading Richard Dawkins. Neither are exploring anything - they KNOW the answers!
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
That makes her the only vaguely ineresting prospect! Is she a bad writer, or does she just refuse to come out for one side or the other?

There's no interest in reading a bible, or in reading Richard Dawkins. Neither are exploring anything - they KNOW the answers!
Anne Rice can be an excellent writer. I thought The Feast of All Saints (one of her books that was not about vampires or Christianity) was excellent. Then she did get the vampire novel craze started and remains one of the best authors in that overloaded genre.

Not something I read, but this old thread discussed Christian fiction as well:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=christian

Tags
christian books, danger at the door, in plain sight, michelle sutton, suspense