Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
iamscottish
iamscottish began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3: HPiPAQ
Cybook Gen3

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for months now. Many thanks for all the information provided on the various eBook devices. I have been reading eBooks on my iPAQ till now and I then decided to buy a Cybook Gen3 which arrived yesterday.

I am embarrassed - to say the least - to say that I am having difficulty with it. Instead of the English language being displayed my Library displays the books using strange symbols.

Resetting (several times) hasn't worked. Can anyone please help?
iamscottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamscottish View Post
Hi,

I have been reading this forum for months now. Many thanks for all the information provided on the various eBook devices. I have been reading eBooks on my iPAQ till now and I then decided to buy a Cybook Gen3 which arrived yesterday.

I am embarrassed - to say the least - to say that I am having difficulty with it. Instead of the English language being displayed my Library displays the books using strange symbols.

Resetting (several times) hasn't worked. Can anyone please help?
Not clear what OS you are using so that would be helpful but first can you tell us if the device ever worked correctly ?
It comes with loads of demo and other stuff in the Library which should show up just nicely.
If it's about the library then I would first remove the SD card if you have one installed and then plug it in your computer.
Then look in My Computer and find the newly added drive and see what is on there.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
iamscottish

Cybook Gen3

I have just had a reply from Bookeen about the strange fonts/symbols.

They gave me instructions to delete a couple of files from the Cybook and this restored the correct fonts. I then re-installed my SD card into the Cybook and the same thing happened again. I changed the SD card (for the exact same type of card) and all is now well. The card must be faulty.

Bookeen were very helpful but hadn't seen this problem before.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What were the files you had to delete? I'd guess that the ".fonts.cache-1" file in the "system" folder was one of them?

Please come and join us in the Gen3 forum - that's where all the "action" is!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
iamscottish

Cybook Gen3

Yes Harry, you are right the fonts.cache-1 and the "user" folder had to be deleted. There is a third file in the system folder which had to be left. I can't remember its file name.

I have downloaded all my eBooks from Mobipocket and Fictionwise and everything now seems to be fine on the alternative SD card.

I thought it was a goner but Bookeen gave a fast (and accurate) response.

Otherwise, I am enjoying the Cybook. I was quite amazed at the lightness of it and the leather cover is really great.

Thanks for the welcome.
Advert