Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
gordian
gordian began at the beginning.

Device: None yet!
gordian

Hey all,

I just found your corner of the net here and I'm impressed. These days there's a definitive forum for every possible niche--from pink trenchcoats missing two buttons to expired food stamps--this appears to be the one for e-readers.

My first glimpse of one of these (a Sony) was this summer on a train to work. It was a Sony and looked amazingly like paper! I've been cursorily reading into the various devices since then but have yet to own one.

I recently considered taking the plunge with a Kindle, but with the announcement of the Nook and Plastic Logic devices my head is spinning. I am leaning towards the Nook, but after the differences between Kindle 1 and Kindle 2 I'm concerned that I should wait for a subsequent generation product (especially given the rumors that such might display color, although I'm not sure that color will affect my reading habits all that much). But waiting for a newer, better model in the hopes it will be the last, best device will always be proven futile.

What I do know is that I want a device that comes with WiFi and is supported by one of the major online bookstores with the ability to download remotely and independent of WiFi.

Any input or comments would be greatly appreciated. I'll definitely be scouring the "Which one..." subforum!

Thanks for maintaining such a great wealth of info!

Last edited by gordian; 10-21-2009 at 12:32 PM.
gordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi gordian and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 since Jan 08 and really like it
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Hey gordian. Welcome to the forums.

You do have a tough decision to make. It was easier for me when I got my 505 - just Kindle vs. Sony. You'll be happy with whatever you get, I'm sure. Don't forget that Sony is coming out with a wireless device soon as well.

What do you like to read?
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, gordian.

Your choice is way harder than mine was a year and a half ago.

Just remember that if you order a Kindle, any kindle from Amazon you have 30 days to play with it, download books, and return it just paying shipping if you don't like it.

You can see the B&N device at the store, but if you decide you don't like it, you only have 14 days to return it........and they charge a 10% restocking fee.

You can share books with both. The Kindle can have up to 6 devices on one account, and the B&N device it looks like can share with any other Nook, but the books shared "close" within 14 days....much like your library. Also, you cannot read the book you've shared while its 'on loan'. You can also share with some phone devices.

Here is the "faq" page for more answers.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/support/

Here is the amazon page for the video and answers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...YV1ZZJFCKEHDRE

Obviously,. these aren't the only e-book readers on the market, but its a start. Good luck with your choice.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
You can share books with both. The Kindle can have up to 6 devices on one account, and the B&N device it looks like can share with any other Nook, but the books shared "close" within 14 days....much like your library. Also, you cannot read the book you've shared while its 'on loan'.
I like the Nook's sharing because it's true sharing - you don't have to share an account to share the book. Big difference.
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello gordian, and Click image for larger version

Name:	anim188.gif
Views:	123
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	37781 to Mobileread.

You've definitely come to the right place.

I've had a Sony 505 for about 2 years and have loved every minute of use with it. But you sure have a harder decision to make now then you would have had back then. Hope you're happy with whatever you choose.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I like the Nook's sharing because it's true sharing - you don't have to share an account to share the book. Big difference.
Well, not really. You can only share books with other Nook owners, and you must have the BN software downloaded to share in other ways. Your "sharing" period is limited to 14 days, and you cannot read the book you are sharing.

Notice how it says "You can lend many" of your books.....not all apparently.

Q. Can I lend eBooks from my nook?
X Yes. With our new LendMe™ technology, you can now share from nook to nook. But it doesn’t stop there. Starting Nov. 30th, you can lend to and from any device with the Barnes & Noble eReader app, including PC, Mac OS®, BlackBerry®, iPhone™ and iPod® touch. All you need to know is your friend’s email address. You can lend many of your eBooks one time for a maximum of 14 days. When you use our LendMe™ technology, you will not be able to read your eBook while it is on loan, but you always get it back.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Well, not really. You can only share books with other Nook owners, and you must have the BN software downloaded to share in other ways. Your "sharing" period is limited to 14 days, and you cannot read the book you are sharing.
Granted, it's not perfect, but I like the idea, and it's more like what I would call "sharing". People typically only use the same accounts as members of their household, so I wouldn't characterize that as the ability to share because of what using the same account entails (e.g. permission to purchase books with my money).

I also don't think it's so bad that you can't read a book that you lend to a friend, because it's the same way with p-books. At least this way you know you'll get it back.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
gordian
gordian began at the beginning.

Device: None yet!
Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
...What do you like to read?
When I'm not neck deep in my grad school texts (which is rare) I enjoy history, non-fiction, historical fiction, and a hint of vanilla fiction.

What I'm really after is the ability to grab a book and read it on the fly without having to go to a bookstore or even wait for it to be delivered. I'd love to see some info on wireless bookstore access for devices other than the Kindle and Nook.
gordian is offline   Reply With Quote