Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Hanvon N518 coming to Germany

A MobileRead member just noticed that Hexaglot, a German web retailer, will soon be importing is now selling the Hanvon N518. You can read the announcement here.

It doesn't say much (other than having an exclusive on handwriting recognition), so I dug up a review on the Chinese language ebook site MobRead. I'd recommend that you read it; it has a lot of useful information and quite a few pictures.

Edit: The product page is here. The list price is 279.90€, and the N518 does have Adobe DE support.

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-24-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
tazztone
tazztone began at the beginning.

Device: none
it has windows CE as OS...
tazztone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
nice find. You know what struck me first about it...they put the vertical buttons on the LEFT side of the device. I am right handed BUT I always hold my books, PDA's and what not in my left hand. Because of years of holding my PDA's in my left hand, I am very used to using that thumb for not only navigation but also on screen control as well...so this is a GREAT feature decision for folks like me. Plus with the digitizer one can still control the device and hold the pen in your right hand.

Of course I bet a lot of lefties have the opposite take on the design for the same reason I like it...and while I like the hand-agnostic devices better overall, if facing a good price on this device or a hand-agnostic device with less features for about the same or only slightly lower price, I could very well go with the N518.

Nice find!!

BTW, I would take the whole handwriting recognition exclusivity with a grain of salt...there are LOTS of HWR algorithms out there and porting should be a very simple issue. They might have an agreement of exclusivity for this individual instance but not for the whole market. I sense it is just their marketing wonks trying make it sound, well, more advanced that the rest of the market.

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-25-2009 at 04:58 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
A nice looking device, and it does have what my Mini doesn't have: touchscreen... I won't be able to explain why I want another device so soon after getting my Mini, otherwise I'd have bought one already!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazztone View Post
it has windows CE as OS...
Is it an "open" OS? Could we install Microsoft reader for example, to read DRMed .lit? Could we use the PocketPC applications?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Is it an "open" OS? Could we install Microsoft reader for example, to read DRMed .lit? Could we use the PocketPC applications?
Yes, I'm curious about that too...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
acolsandra
Enthusiast
acolsandra began at the beginning.

Device: bebook1, pocketbook 302
it's for sale in the Netherlands too. It's on stock and really cheap, you can buy a lot of ebooks for the € 80= difference in price compared to the german site.

http://www.ereadersplaza.nl/hanvon-n...b15299e6fc634a

greetings Sandra
acolsandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
It is not an open OS. The OS is embedded and cannot be reach directly, just like Linux on the other eBook Readers. I am sure there may be a secret way to get inside but it certainly is not published. Maybe there will be an SDK.

PocketPC applications often require DLL's and other features that are not part of WinCE.

Exposing the OS to the user requires UI features that cost extra for every machine that is shipped.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #9
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i think this one would be really great!

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlobee View Post
i think this one would be really great!
Also interesting is the N526 which is the same except adds a full keyboard like the Kindle only smaller.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
impry
Enthusiast
impry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4 (2011)
Can someone help me out with that reader; does it supports utf-8? [becouse I read books in Hungarian language] If it does, I think I'd buy one.... Many thanks!
impry is offline   Reply With Quote