Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
sub_acoustic
sub_acoustic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
AMR / Apps2SD mess

It seems little things can get lost in the translation from Russian, or maybe it's just me as noone else seems to have had the same problem. Although what I did will sound pretty stupid.

I uploaded Rupor's AMR folders and the package updater onto the device, I then uploaded the AppstoSD Update Package over the top (I assume I should have done this in two steps). Then I turned off the device and
restarted into root.

Now the device is rooted but there is no access to the the internal memory, only to SD and when I connect by USB (on Linux) I can no longer see the SETTING and READER drives so I can't roll back.

A hard reset made no difference, it just hands on the connecting screen...

I'll try sd-rescue once I've got an SD card, is this the best thing to do?

Advice greatly appreciated

Last edited by sub_acoustic; 07-14-2012 at 04:01 AM.
sub_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
But just in case - project has an English page. It is concise and imperfect but it lists exact steps to follow.

There is also a post which lists all steps in more details and better English - but I guess you have to read it before screwing with device

And your only choice now is to do full and proper restoration of the device - this is not only best thing to do, it is the ONLY thing to do!

I cannot stop wondering to which language you are translating from Russian to get into this mess? Rather than applying installations one after another. Looks like thread's name does not reflects situation properly - it should rather be "how to reliably mess up your device by not following instructions other people create" I do not think AMR and.or Apps2SD have anything to do with it...
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
jarsto
jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jarsto can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-T1
No idea whether this will work, but I figure it can't hurt:

Try going into the android settings (not the Sony ones, the android ones showing on page 3 of the homescreen) and see if switching 'USB Debugging' on or off helps any.

Haven't had this issue on my reader, so can't comment on the specific case, but had much the same happen on my Android phone and switching USB Debugging a couple of time seemed to fix it there (still not sure why, but it seemed to do the trick...)
jarsto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
here is another guy who killed his reader partition: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184194
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
sub_acoustic

thanks Rupor, Jarsto, Uboot,

Even I'm not stupid enough to delete my READER partition...and I can't see USB debugging anywhere (a hard reset removed Total Commander)...I'll do a restore once my sd card has arrived.

the thing that confused me (although my stupidity and impatience were the main problem, was the english translation of this page.

Quote:
Download AMR (below) and follow installation instructions from WiKi page.

If you would like to use Apps2SD (this is not a required step) - this is the time. Download Apps2SD (below) and follow the same installation instructions.
I had assumed that this is the time meant, copy the Apps2SD files over to the device RIGHT NOW, prior to rebooting.

I'm guessing that I might be able to connect to the computer with an SD card in the device as the information on the T1 only has the SD card as an option. Anyway thanks for your help and I'll let you know how I get on. I only want to install a few apps anyway so perhaps the internal memory is sufficient. My email provider will only allow access to email from an android device via app, so all this work you've done is much appreciated rupor.

Cheers
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

@sub_acoustic
I think you would have no troubles restoring your device. The problem here is that 2 installations have 2 different scripts (app files themselves do not intersect much). So if you copied Apps2SD on top of AMR - you probably have Apps2SD installed now if your /system had enough free space for that (0.5MB is required). You also have AMR files copied onto the device, but actions in installation script (root and superuser installation for example) were not performed...

I modified project's instructions a bit to avoid such confusion in the future.

Last edited by rupor; 07-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
sub_acoustic

Thanks Rupor, that's reassuring...yeah it looks like that's the case...
just waiting for my sd card (and adaptor) to arrive in the post.

so I'll use the sdrescue_1.04_porkupan, then install the AMR properly (and then apps2sd afterwards) then android marketplace...

I'm assuming cause I'm on linux I don't need to do all the stuff with .bat files on MCsmarties post...

it would also be nice to have roaming wi-fi but perhaps that's a step beyond me

the future awaits...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
rupor
meat popsicle

I've never updated from linux - so you will have to rely on other people's guidance here

As for WiFi - I believe WiKI page has a procedure and a binary for that, should be easy
Old 07-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
sub_acoustic

Ok so restore worked fine, thanks very much!!!
and I installed AMR
which went okay

I installed Google Marketplace okay,
but then Total Commander auto-exited before it was even possible to install Vending.apk
(Now occasionally when I open Total commander I can see the files for a split-second, but then suddenly I'm back to page 3) I can't find any record of anyone else who has had this problem

so I've no idea how I can install any apps, but at least I have a working reader...which is not the end of the world...it would be nice to install the app for my email provider, maps, chess, a couple of other little useful apps though....

thanks for all your help