Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #1
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
File manager for Ios devices

What's the best file manager app for IOS devices. ( I did do a search on this forum with no results). Tia.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Maybe you should define what you expect from a file manager if you want answers that will be useful to you.

The only one I have used is GoodReader, and it works fine at least for any document that can be read natively by iOS (that includes Word and any MS Office document I think, though I haven't tried it with the new nnnx formats). It integrates with SugarSync so I can easily send documents from/to any device connected to the Net. It can also of course read PDF files. I think I tried it at least once with an image file, but so far I use the standard Photo app on the iPad for this, limited as it is.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I was really thinking of something more like the file managers on PCS which wopuld allow you to browse the file system and move, copy and open filesin a WindowsExplorewr/Mac Finder type interface. Then I read a little more and learned that Apple and Microsoft want to get away from those and move toward a search tpe approch.
I also read that Ios5 is going to come up with a better file management approach, so maybe I should wait and see what Apple will have for us.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe there are such programs for jailbroken iDevices, but if it's not jailbroken I doubt that's possible, and that is for me the main weakness of iOS.

You can exchange some files between some apps, but what you do then is duplicate the files since each app manages its files in a separate space, and there is no way to manage files independently of an app.

So basically, any "file manager" app will only be a workaround, no true file management can happen unless Apple allows it in the OS. Unless there is something big I missed somewhere...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, Apple won't allow a true file manager on the App store. You would need to jailbreak. At which point there are a few FM... the most popular being iFile.

If you don't want to jailbreak then your best option is DropBox I guess. Basically this service gives you an online "drive", complete with file system, which any compatible app can import/export to. One advantage to DropBox is that it can be accessed from any number of devices. Oh, and it is free for 2GB of storage.

As for iOS 5, well Apple is incorporating a similar service directly into the operating system, called "iCloud". They will be giving every iOS user 5GB of online storage for free. Though I'm actually not sure if it will have a file system for sharing between different apps. It may just be limited to sharing between the same app on different devices.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Take a look at FileBrowser - http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fileb...364738545?mt=8 - but don't be mislead by the headline "Access files on remote computers" as that ignores the way that you can copy files (and folder trees) to the iPad and manage them locally, i.e. browse, move, copy, rename & "Open in ..." them for a start.
Not requiring a jail-broken pad & not too expensive either.

Strictly though, FlorenceArt is correct in that the OpenIn will copy a file to the opening app, so you do end up duplicating the files unless you delete one or the other - for me that wasn't an issue, as I use it for eBooks and just delete the book from the reader app once read, but it's a point to be aware of.

Last edited by gwynevans; 09-07-2011 at 06:56 PM.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
Best one is diskaid for non-jailbroken ios, supports ios5, allows transfer/creation of folders in apps a feature not supported by itunes.

http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Omega Supreme
Omega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iPhone, Nook STR, MyTouch 4G
I always found that DropBox made the issue of no browseable file system to be a moot point, although I never had much of an issue with it anyway. iFile works great for a jailbroken device, though.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiru View Post
Best one is diskaid for non-jailbroken ios, supports ios5, allows transfer/creation of folders in apps a feature not supported by itunes.

http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid
I second DiskAid.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

The issue, in my opinion, is not exchanging files between the iPad and a PC, though that can certainly be made easier than Apple currently makes it (maybe with iClouds?). But that's only secondary for me. There is always a way to send or receive files to and from a PC or Mac. The important thing that is missing is managing files on the iPad and sharing them between apps.

One simple example: I am a freelance worker and I often receive requests from job brokers for an updated CV. Can I reply to and e-mail with my CV as an attachment? Sure. All I need to do is go to Goodreader, select my CV and The e-mail option, copy the content of the e-mail that Goodreader creates, then go back to mail, display the e-mail I want to reply to, tap the reply button and then paste the Goddreader content. Can you think of a more silly and convoluted way to do a very simple and basic thing?

I don't think any file managing app can make up for this. What is needed is some work on Apple's part.

I'm starting to think I should maybe buy me a MacBook Air
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #11
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...flq4PxDEJs3HEw

Works perfect for me.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I paid for Phoneview and have never had a minute's regret (OSX). Can do lots without a jailbreak (including moving books on and off the device)

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote