Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
HELP: Technical assistance unbricking a Kindle DX Graphite

Hello.

I asked this in the Kindle non-technical forum, so I ask here if someone can help me in a more technical way.

I would like to know the possibilities of self fixing it. I can ask some friends to help me on tasks I have less experience, like the hardware stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timofonic View Post
Hello.

My Kindle DX Graphite got bricked by installing some firmware hacks.

This was weird, as it worked OK. I disabled the usbNetwork and then freezed, I needed to reboot and then the fails appeared.

The device tries to boot a few times and it fails, then shows the "Your Device Needs Repair" message.

I entered the recovery mode and tried to reinstall the firmware again, so solve the problem but I'm unable to make it happen (I pushed the "1" button, both alone or by using shift/alt keys).

http://www.brighthub.com/electronics...es/101814.aspx (I followed this document, no sucess at all)

I'm desesperate and need help, I'm not sure if Amazon is going to repair it for free with those updates and my wallet now isn't in good shape (contrary when I bought the DXG) to pay the repair or get another DXG.

Maybe using a serial cable to hack over uboot (as explained HERE it could be the start of a solution for this, but I don't have enough skills for this. I might ask some friends, this is my last hope...

I would be grateful if someone helps me to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

PS: I did read THIS forum post and it seems he had no succes. This really SCARES me
Regards
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
Bumping to see if this guy can get some help... I know I can't.
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
sounds like root file system is hosed. I think the only viable option (if timofonic isn't running yifanlu's kernel, but this doesn't seem to be the case) is serial console and doing recovery using that.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
sounds like root file system is hosed. I think the only viable option (if timofonic isn't running yifanlu's kernel, but this doesn't seem to be the case) is serial console and doing recovery using that.
Nice, thanks for the information.

Anyway, how to do it? I did see a forum thread about the serial console for Kindle DX, I suposse it's the same than the Kindle DX Graphite. Am I right?

And how to do the recovery process over the serial console? I didn't find instructions for it, nor if I need to upload the firmware or rootfs in some special way.

yifanlu's kernel? What's that?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Nice, thanks for the information.

Anyway, how to do it? I did see a forum thread about the serial console for Kindle DX, I suposse it's the same than the Kindle DX Graphite. Am I right?

And how to do the recovery process over the serial console? I didn't find instructions for it, nor if I need to upload the firmware or rootfs in some special way.

yifanlu's kernel? What's that?
If you used the hack that allows your DX to run 3.1 software, you have my brick protection kernel that allows running unsigned recovery packages. If not, you need serial port access.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #6
timofonic
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
If you used the hack that allows your DX to run 3.1 software, you have my brick protection kernel that allows running unsigned recovery packages. If not, you need serial port access.
Hello.

Unfortunately I didn't install it. My system bricked before that...

Hawhill replied this on the "Kindle DX serial console" forum thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Good that you have it working to this point, though.
I think the root file system is corrupted (due to not properly unmounting or re-mounting it read-only).
The way to go is
- you've got to get yourself a partition image of /dev/mmcblk0p1 (first partition on the flash disk), maybe a kind soul can provide it to you,
- you've got to dump it to the first partition of your device's flash disk.

When doing the latter (via option 3), you will find that there's a passwort that needs to be entered. I'm not sure, but I think you need to recover it from the Serial No of your Kindle. Maybe others can comment on this.

The whole procedure is showed in a video that seaniko7 made: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134637
The mkfs is not needed, since you're dumping a full partition image anyway. The hardest part will probably be to find out the password for your device.

In the recovery menu, do NOT chose 4 (Erase MMC0) and probably not the format option either.

I'm not sure about books and stuff. I think you will probably need a (live CD/usb stick?) Linux, although you probably can dump partition images on windows, too. Someone with expertise in that regard might jump in here...
So I need to upload that image dump, how to upload it and get to know the password.

It seems the DX Graphite has a different pinout...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger_st View Post
Hi havhill thank you very much for advice. I did change baud to 115200 and 8N1. It is connected, but In my case (Kindle dxg) connection was different than in ebs version.
1. 5V from converter (where 1 on the board)
2. Rx port.
3. Tx port.
4. Ground.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
stranger_st
stranger_st began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg
What about password? how is it possible to find out Kindle DXG root password?
stranger_st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
timofonic
Zealot

Quote:
What about password? how is it possible to find out Kindle DXG root password?

I did read something about Kindle 3, not about Kindle DXG...
Old 10-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
stranger_st

Do you have any Progress

Quote:
I did read something about Kindle 3, not about Kindle DXG...
Hi timofonic did you success in solving issue? do you have any progress?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
timofonic
Zealot

Quote:
Hi timofonic did you success in solving issue? do you have any progress?
Not at all, I'm afraid of doing this without knowing all the involved operations.

I need first to know that password before doing something useful
Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
stranger_st

Quote:
Not at all, I'm afraid of doing this without knowing all the involved operations.

I need first to know that password before doing something useful
Actually I found the way which solves the issue without opening kindle and knowing password:
For that you need rootfs image I will send you the link through message.
And you need any linux. Example Ubuntu.
Than you need:
Go to recovery menu (Hold sleep button for 15 seconds, after release sleep button and hold home button or press multiple time in my case to go recovery menu)
In recovery mode press (E 3) button.
Connect kindle to the usb port you will see Usb connected.
In terminal (console) write:
fdisk -l
this will list all drives on the computers
Look for a 3.65 GB (can try df -kh as well) drive and make sure it is the Kindle. Remember it's device id. It should be something like /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd it will be last in the list.
then Type:
dd if=/path/to/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdd1 bs=1024
Wait till this command finishes and Press (R 4)
Kindle will reboot and starts.
Make Factory Reset from settings and thats all.
This should help in you case.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
lyman666
lyman666 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
the rootfs image file of kindle DXG B009

that's great! I'm also in trouble with my bricked kindle DXG which serial number is B009..., could you also send me the link of rootfs image file? thx a lot.

lyman

Quote:
Actually I found the way which solves the issue without opening kindle and knowing password:
Than you need:
Go to recovery menu (Hold sleep button for 15 seconds, after release sleep button and hold home button or press multiple time in my case to go recovery menu)
fdisk -l
Look for a 3.65 GB (can try df -kh as well) drive and make sure it is the Kindle. Remember it's device id. It should be something like /dev/sdc or /dev/sdd it will be last in the list.
then Type:
lyman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #13
lyman666

hi stranger_st, there is still another question taht I really want to make it clear: where sholud I place the rootfs.img file according to your steps for achieving to unblock kindle.

thanks very much again.

Quote:
Than you need:
fdisk -l
then Type:
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #14
kogi
kogi began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
You can place it anywhere you like, If it is in your current directory, then the command to write is
Code:
dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdd1 bs=1024
If it is in the directory /home/user
then
Code:
dd if=/home/user/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdd1 bs=1024
Clear as mud?
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
lyman666

thx, I got the kindle dxg device id by using ubuntu console, which is /dev/sdc1. but as I excute the command line which likes
dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1024
the console gives me the feedback that I have no permission to operate /dev/sdc1, what does it mean, should I input the password of the device, and how?

And stranger_st said this approach needs no password.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogi View Post
You can place it anywhere you like, If it is in your current directory, then the command to write is
Code:
dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdd1 bs=1024
If it is in the directory /home/user
then
Code:
dd if=/home/user/rootfs.img of=/dev/sdd1 bs=1024
Clear as mud?

Tags
brick, bricked, jtag, kindle dxg, recovery mode