Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > IMP Books

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Thumbs up Webster, Noah: Webster's Dictionary 1913 (updated), v2.1, 17 July 2009

You will find only version 2.0 attached below, as an updated version 2.1 is too large to upload here and has been uploaded elsewhere as 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.imp' and 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21_1200.imp' . Version 2.1 changes include improved TOC links and cover page display as well as integration of the abbreviations listing. See my Websters 1913 ebook server for more large ebooks.

All this recent talk of dictionaries made me dig up this dictionary I had converted to .imp several years ago.

This ambitious project by The K-Dawg ( http://web.archive.org/web/200406061...adiocrypt.com/ ) updated the 1913 Webster's dictionary back in 2003 to include (sic) 125,970 searchable words!!!

BTW, Easter egg alert, check the entry for 'K-Dawg, The' after the Ka words.... (Pompous comes to mind!)

Note this webpage is no longer on the internet, but can still be found using the WayBackMachine at archive.org. The original Websters' Dictionary 2.0.rb (for the Rocket eBook reader) may not be still available there, but I have posted a copy of it here (15MB). The info extracted from that .rb is presented here:
Quote:
COMMENT=Info file for the following eBook
TITLE=Webster's Dictionary ver 2.0
AUTHOR=HTML ed. by KDawg
BODY=Final12.html
URL=ebook:rbmk-3e58bb890987fff91699
GENERATOR=rbmake v0.99f using the rbmake library v0.99f
HKEY=1
TYPE=2
VERSION=1
PARSE=1
OUTPUT=1
I updated the .html (see '_2.0_source' .zip attached below) extracted from that .rb to convert to .imp! The .html now includes 110,875 words, a two-tier TOC with tier one being placed in the footer of the reader and tier two (2600+ links) from the letters of the alphabet. Unfortunatley, you cannot use this dictionary with the built-in 'lookup' feature of the reader.

I automated the process to add TOC entries into a two-tiered TOC. I ended up adding just over 2600 TOC links. The idea was to space them evenly over every 50 words and then the mid point would be no more than 25 words from either side (word_before TOClink or word_after TOClink). With an average of (say) 5 words to a "page" that would mean the mid point would be only 5 page-turns away!

Now, the exciting news (for the REB1200 version ONLY), all words referenced in a definition (i.e. Abase) like 'See Base' are now hyperlinked to that entry in the dictionary; some 50,000+ new links have been added by me! Unfortunately, the EBW1150, cannot handle this many links, so I've limited the EBW1150 version to only contain hyperlinks to words that are 7 letters or greater! This reduces sufficiently the number of links and can then be made to work with the EBW1150. I could not increase the number of hyperlinks by adding 6+ letters or less as it stopped working if I did. Again this only refers to EBW1150 version and the words referenced "inside" a definition; not the main words linked from the TOC!

This conversion from .html to .imp takes siginificantly longer, about 3.5 hours!

Even though this is a 100 year old dictionary, I hope you find it useful. I know some people will probably read it like a book....

BTW, did I mention IT'S HUGE.

HOW TO INSTALL

FOR EBW1150 users
You need both parts 1 & 2 of the 'Websters Dictionary 1913.imp' zip below (the 1st & 2nd attachments below). The .html source for this ebook is included separately (the 3rd attachment below).

Note the EBW1150 .imp ebook was produced with the 'View with Small Font Only' option so that it would work with the EBW1150's more limited memory. Also, when reading a definition and it refers to another word, the link exists only for referred words that are 7+ characters in length. This was a trade-off to allow this .imp ebook to work, as 6 character or less words just constantly rebooted the reader.

Also, the first time you use a link within this .imp ebook, you may get a message that Your eBook has exhausted an internal resource... and the unit says Restarting.... Just try again as the EBW1150 just freed all available resources so as to allow the links to work now!
FOR REB1200 users
You need both parts 1 & 2 of the 'Websters Dictionary 1913_1200.imp' zip below (the 4th & 5th attachments below). The .html source for this ebook is included separately (the 6th attachment below).

Aside: The REB1200 source .html can also be used with the attached wordlist (the 7th attachment below) hyperlinking all 110,875 words into the main dictionary .html. This can be used to create a new/different tier-two TOC instead of using just every 50th word!
Then using HJSplit or similar just combine the two parts after unzipping them i.e. .001 and .002. If you don't mind using the command prompt, type the copy command below:
Code:
For EBW1150 users:
C:\> copy /b "Websters Dictionary 1913.imp.001"+"Websters Dictionary 1913.imp.002" "Websters Dictionary 1913.imp"

For REB1200 users:
C:\> copy /b "Websters Dictionary 1913_1200.imp.001"+"Websters Dictionary 1913_1200.imp.002" "Websters Dictionary 1913_1200.imp"
The resulting .imp file should then be transferred to your reader (preferrably using impserve as the file is very large and not handled well by GEB/eBookwise Librarian).

Enjoy this one! (BTW, this now replaces the previous version that only used a simple TOC in the footer of the reader)

EDIT: 23 Nov 2008 I just found this great abbreviation reference listing to the (1913) abbreviations used throughout this dictionary. Now you'll be in the know!

EDIT: 26 Aug 2009 Uploaded elsewhere an updated version 2.1 as 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.imp' and 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21_1200.imp' with improved TOC links and cover page display as well as incorporated the abbreviations listing. See my Gargantuan ebook server for more large ebooks.

p.s. this may well be the LARGEST post ever (68MB in total) at mobileread.com....

Previous downloads: 50+
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_page1.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	16700   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_page2.jpg
Views:	877
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	16701   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_page27731.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	16702   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_page1.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	16801   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_page2.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	16802   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_page15395.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	16803   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_A1.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	17688   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_A2.jpg
Views:	805
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	17689   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_Abase.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	17690   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_TOC_A1.jpg
Views:	796
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	17691   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_TOC_A2.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	17692  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913.imp-part1.zip (12.87 MB, 674 views)
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913.imp-part2.zip (7.58 MB, 678 views)
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913_2.0_source.zip (11.55 MB, 713 views)
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913_1200.imp-part1.zip (12.87 MB, 720 views)
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913_1200.imp-part2.zip (9.79 MB, 674 views)
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913_2.0_1200_source.zip (11.54 MB, 672 views)
File Type: zip Websters Dictionary 1913_2.0_1200_wordlist.zip (837.5 KB, 1352 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-23-2014 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added link to (1913) Abbreviations used in the dictionary
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #2
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a note that I now attach the source .html file used to convert this dictionary into .imp formats as well as the REB1200 viewer screenshots in post #1 above.

Previously, these were posted in the sony forum.
Advert
Old 10-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
nrapallo

teaser: new versions coming soon....

From an another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Right, but when I tried it, I never really got close and still had to make at least 20 button pushes to find the word I wanted. I really like the idea of having a really good unabridged dictionary but it would take great patience. I was thinking I could increase the number of table of contents entries to 50 and have them evenly distributed so that you were never more than 1/50th of the book away from the word you want. For the 'A' words which displays in 1076 pages when in small fonts that means you're never more than about 21 pages from the word you want. Unfortunately, I'd have to do that for all 24 or so of the dictionaries (B to XYZ, too) which would mean over a thousand links I'd have to create. I'm just not sure I want to do that.
I automated the process to add TOC entries into a two-tiered TOC as previously mentioned here. I ended up adding just over 2600 TOC links. The idea was to space them evenly over every 50 words and then the mid point would be no more than 25 words from either side (word_before TOClink or word_after TOClink). With an average of (say) 5 words to a "page" that would mean the mid point would be 5 pages away.

I updated my .html for this two-tier TOC already and will soon replace the ones above.

Now, the exciting news (for the REB1200 version ONLY) all words referenced in a definition like 'See Base' are now hyperlinked to that entry in the dictionary; some 50,000+ new links have been added by me! Unfortunately, the EBW1150, cannot handle this many links, so I've limited the EBW1150 version to only contain hyperlinks to words that are 7 letters or greater! This reduces sufficiently the number of links and can be made to work with the EBW1150. I'm going to try increasing the number of hyperlinks i.e. only 6+ letters, then only 5+ letters, 4+ letters, etc. until I find the last working version. Again this only refers to the words referenced "inside" a definition; not the main words linked from the TOC!

This conversion from .html to .imp takes siginificantly longer, about 3 hours, so it will take a bit more time to see which EBW1150 I'm going to go with. The REB1200 version is already finished!

Even though this is a 100 year old dictionary, I hope you find it useful. I know some people will probably read it like a book....

p.s. I attach a teaser image of various EBW1150 .imp versions (of a sample html); the one with 596 total pages is what I will produce (small font), but I do like the one with 498 pages (x-small font). Any opinions?
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_A1.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	17259   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_A2.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	17260   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150_TOC_Abase.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	17261   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_TOC_A1.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	17262   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_TOC_A2.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	17263   Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_TOC_Abase.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	17264   Click image for larger version

Name:	EBW1150-various fonts sizes.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	17265  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I attach a teaser image of various EBW1150 .imp versions (of a sample html); the one with 596 total pages is what I will produce (small font), but I do like the one with 498 pages (x-small font). Any opinions?
New updated two-tier TOC .imp versions for EBW1150 and REB1200 readers now added to post #1 above.

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-05-2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: now post #1 includes 7th attachments, previously omitted
Old 11-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
nrapallo

I've just added an external link to post #1 above for a great abbreviation reference listing to the (1913) abbreviations used throughout this dictionary. Now you'll be in the know!

I'll repeat the abbreviations below, in case that page ever becomes unavailable,
Code:
The 1913 Webster Unabridged Dictionary is often used as a source for
definitions, as its copyright has expired so it is in the public domain.
Numerous abbreviations, sometimes not intuitive, appear in the source;
this page catalogs them for reference.

General Abbreviations
=====================
cf.     = confer 
colloq. = colloquial 
fr.     = from 
obs.    = obsolete 
perh.   = perhaps 
prob.   = probably 

Grammatical terms
=================
a.    = adjective 
adv.  = adverb 
imp.  = imperfect 
n.    = noun 
pass. = passive 
p.p.  = past participle 
p.pr. = present participle 
pref. = prefix 
prep. = preposition 
pres. = present 
subj. = subjunctive 
vb.n. = verbal noun 
v.i.  = intransitive verb 
v.t.  = transitive verb 

Languages
=========
Ar.    = Arabic 
AS.    = Anglo-Saxon
D.     = Dutch 
Dan.   = Danish 
E.     = English 
F.     = French 
G.     = German 
Ger.   = Germanic or German 
Gk.    = Greek 
Goth.  = Gothic 
Gr.    = Greek 
Heb.   = Hebrew 
Icel.  = Icelandic 
It.    = Italian 
L.     = Latin 
Lith.  = Lithuanian 
LL.    = Late Latin 
ME.    = Middle English - enm 
MHG.   = Middle High German - gmh 
NL.    = New Latin 
OE.    = Old English 
         Important: In Webster 1913, "Old English" refers to what we call Middle English today
         and also specifically early Middle English. Our "Old English" is Anglo-Saxon (AS.)
         to Webster. See the Webster 1913 entry on "English" 
OF.    = Old French 
OFris. = Old Frisian 
OHG.   = Old High German 
Olr.   = typo for OIr = Old Irish 
OS.    = Old Saxon 
Per.   = Persian 
Pg.    = Portuguese 
Russ.  = Russian 
Skr.   = Sanskrit 
Sp.    = Spanish 
Sw.    = Swedish

Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Abbreviations_in_Webster"

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-23-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
nrapallo

Updated version 2.1 now available elsewhere

Due to the size limitations imposed on .imp files here at Mobileread.com, I've decided to host my version 2.1 updates on my Websters 1913 ebook server instead.

To ease downloading without having to combine parts, I've uploaded elsewhere an updated version 2.1 as 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.imp' and 'Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21_1200.imp' with improved the TOC links and cover page display as well as incorporated the abbreviations listing.

These really work well on the EBW1150 and REB1200, respectively.

Enjoy!

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-23-2014 at 12:09 AM.