Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
ntarvin
ntarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Windows 10 - calibre and corrupted databases

Yesterday I had a problem with Win 10 (build 11102) and restored my previous Win 10 installation.

My Calibre is setup with a number of separate databases for various types/genres of books - ie: animals, dr who, publishing, horror, short stories, star trek, etc. (Yes, I know that's what tags, and sorting is for, but for me, this is a lot easier.) I have been doing it this way for a number of years - ever since my first install of Calibre.

After the Win 10 restore, I started getting rather "random" Calibre database corruption messages. Sometimes 1 database (for example - animals) would be corrupt, sometimes it would be another (animals would be OK, but Dr Who would be corrupt) Weird.

I looked up all the possible ways of restoring databases, but nothing seemed to match what was happening.

I then set the compatibility of the program to Win 7, start as admin.

Everything now works perfectly. So, if you are having trouble with Win 10, before panicking and trying numerous database fixes, try setting the compatibility mode.... it may save a lot of time and frustration!
ntarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
5 Libraries on W10 Pro (x64) and not a bit of corruption. (64 bit install as a normal 'admin' user)

Something about your rig is odd
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
ntarvin
ntarvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Odder than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
5 Libraries on W10 Pro (x64) and not a bit of corruption. (64 bit install as a normal 'admin' user)

Something about your rig is odd
======================

I actually have 18 libraries with about 10,000 ebooks, mags, and pdf's distributed among them. (Yes, I am probably a digital hoarder!)

It's a triple boot system with Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro, and Win 10 Pro. The 3 OS's use 3 *additional* drives (partitions) for various shared programs that I want all 3 to have access to - like Directory Opus, Calibre, TheBat (mail), Gimp, several Xara progs, any downloads, documents, etc.

Believe it or not, this is the very FIRST time I've ever had even a hint of a corrupted database in Calibre (turns out nothing was corrupted, anyway.)

It's all been working together well for a long time - at least until this last Win 10 build! LOL!
ntarvin is offline   Reply With Quote