Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
So do you just need a VPN or a VPN and a US credit card? I recently tried to buy an ebook only available in the US. Amazon and Kobo stopped me right away but B&N let me get through to the billing page but bailed when I entered my cc details.

Ironically the book itself was DRM free and someone online offered to buy it for me and send me the file but in the end I got a used paper copy.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So do you just need a VPN or a VPN and a US credit card? I recently tried to buy an ebook only available in the US. Amazon and Kobo stopped me right away but B&N let me get through to the billing page but bailed when I entered my cc details.

Ironically the book itself was DRM free and someone online offered to buy it for me and send me the file but in the end I got a used paper copy.
To buy ebooks at B&N register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will do, just Google something.
The credit card address is not checked, so your non-US credit card will work fine.
Then use an US VPN to buy the ebooks.

You can also buy books from Kobo this way.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Use a VPN which makes you appear to be in the UK.
Not necessary for Amazon.
You only have to change your country in the Kindle settings.
And you can use a single credit card, no matter what billing address.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
...but be careful, because Amazon might close your account when they'll find out.
No, they don't.
You don't have to use VPN or other "tricks" with Amazon (quite contrary to B&N for example).
I'm switching frequently between my US, UK and German account.
I'm using my German credit card and German billing address. So it's absolutely transparent for Amazon, that the very same customer within a single account is using 3 delivery addresses.
They don't mind.
That's basically the idea of the Kindle international.
Amazon US has contacted me once, why I've switched from the German to the US account. But as long as your accounts have valid addresses, you easily can explain to them...
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
A VPN alone didn't work for me. I couldn't find a way to do it. However, I am located in the US. Perhaps, it's easier for Canadians.
It doesn't matter, what country you're in.
It's not about VPN, IP and stuff.
It's all about the country settings in your Kindle account.
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
For Amazon just using a VPN or changing the country setting doesn't work anymore. I wanted to buy some books from the UK site and they asked me to "transfer all my purchases to a UK account". So I didn't buy anything that time and I will keep using my US account.
I'm transferring back and forth between my US and German account all the time.
No problem whatsoever.
You just change your country in the Kindle settings and link your former purchases to that account.
Nothing is downloaded or deleted, nothing changes on your Kindle.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have an Amazon UK account. I use a VPN, a different account with different email, my credit card and a UK Address.
If looking for a VPN check out Tunnelbear, it has a free version.
http://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing/
Apache
You don't have to do this all.
You can do so, of course.
But you don't need different accounts.
You just can specify numerous countries/addresses within the very same account.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So do you just need a VPN or a VPN and a US credit card?...
Neither! (For Amazon, for B&N you need VPN).
You can open different accounts and use different credit cards and/or VPN of course.
But none of that is necessary.
All you need are different addresses/countries within a single account.
You can use the very same credit card, no matter what country you're using. Your credit card always links to the very same (the correct one) billing address.
All you have to do is switch countries in your Kindle settings on the amazon website.
You can switch back and forth between countries.
I've done so dozens, maybe hundreds, of times.
Amazon did contact me once or twice and asked, whether I had moved recently.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-21-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Neither! (For Amazon, for B&N you need VPN).
You can open different accounts and use different credit cards and/or VPN of course.
But none of that is necessary.
All you need are different addresses/countries within a single account.
You can use the very same credit card, no matter what country you're using. Your credit card always links to the very same (the correct one) billing address.
All you have to do is switch countries in your Kindle settings on the amazon website.
You can switch back and forth between countries.
I've done so dozens, maybe hundreds, of times.
Amazon did contact me once or twice and asked, whether I had moved recently.
But, I don't want to keep switching Kindle for PC back and forth which forces us to frequently transfer purchases sometimes several times a day. This may be considered suspicious behavior. It's obvious I didn't relocate. And I need to avoid Amazon trying to contact me as it is a fake phone number in UK.

What I would like is to have two separate accounts with two separate Kindle for PCs one in US and other UK. When I try I get:
Quote:
We did not find a Kindle device or a reading app that supports this item registered to your Amazon account.
And this is true. Amazon (and possibly my computer) prevents me from installing a second Kindle for PC. Plus, I think this affects Calibre DRM removal.

Then I have the credit card issue. My bank is quick to block foreign transactions and numerous small ones. Of course, this isn't Amazon's fault.

It's extremely easy to shop at Kobo UK and Books on Board UK as there are no geo restrictions to speak of.

Edit: It may be easier for those that have two Kindles or two computers but I have neither.

Last edited by Fbone; 02-21-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
And this is true. Amazon (and possibly my computer) prevents me from installing a second Kindle for PC. Plus, I think this affects Calibre DRM removal.
No problem if you use windoze. Second user account, install kindle for PC for each user separately. Use a different email address. Set up calibre for each user also. Done.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #26
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
I have transferred my amazon kindle account to the US from the UK - planning on purchasing the Foundation book by Isaac Asimov which I believe was available as a Kindle edition on the US store - but I can't find it ??
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
I have transferred my amazon kindle account to the US from the UK - planning on purchasing the Foundation book by Isaac Asimov which I believe was available as a Kindle edition on the US store - but I can't find it ??
Only "Second Foundation" appears to be available in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 AM   #28
blackcat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Only "Second Foundation" appears to be available in the UK.
thanks Harry - my Kindles are registered to the US now though, should I not be able to see Foundation available as an ebook from the States, or doesn't it work like that xxx
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, I'm a little confused. You said in the previous post that you'd transferred your Kindle account to Amazon UK. If you've done this, you'll only be able to see (on "amazon.co.uk") those books which are available in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 AM   #30
blackcat
Connoisseur

Sorry transferred to the US from the UK - as in the kindles are registered to US now