Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #61
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Can you add a bit more detail? Just a name and that the man made a comment is kinda vague.
Google?

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=greg...w=1280&bih=960

Second from the top in 2010. There are probably a dozen more in the next page.

Greg
Old 03-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #62
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If your version is *better* than the Gutenberg version, then you have to convince the customers of that. There's nothing illegal about selling a cheaper version that's lower quality, and there's nothing illegal about buying it. If your book is better than the Gutenberg version because it has better fonts, some pictures, an introduction with the history of the book, and annotations explaining the details--you can probably sell it for more. But some people don't care about all that, and they will buy the $1 version for their Kindles, or go to Gutenberg and download it for free (gratis).
But what protection, if any, would your better version have? Couldn't I just sell that, without having to do any of the work?

Is there some kind of trade protection in the arrangement of the work?

Could I buy that $1 version and start selling it for $0.50 without changing a single thing?
Advert
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #63
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
But what protection, if any, would your better version have? Couldn't I just sell that, without having to do any of the work?

Could I buy that $1 version and start selling it for $0.50 without changing a single thing?
If the $1 version contained nothing except public domain text, yes you could. If you could find a way to sell it for that amount.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #64
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
If I do nothing more than inform you that the water of the ocean is available to you for 1 cent each thousand gallons payable to me, then I have added something of value to that gallon of water with that simple notification.

If you decide not to take advantage of my generous offer, well then I will have to petition a British Court to put out a warning so you can't just take it and not pay me.

If however both you and the Court don't pay any attention to me, I am just out of luck. The Somalia pirates are like that too.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #65
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post

If I added content, like a timeline and annotations, those would be copyrighted to me, and you wouldn't be allowed to sell them.

If I added formatting value--special fonts, span types, alternating colors on some chapters--you wouldn't be allowed to copy the formatting. But the formatting of an ebook would have to be fairly special to be covered by copyright law.

Quote:
Depends on what's in the $1 version, but quite possibly yes. (Not the cover, probably.) Certainly, you can download the Gutenberg versions and sell them as-is for whatever price you can get for them. You can also remove all the Gutenberg verbiage from them, and sell the core book.

Amazon has a section in its KDP TOS about publishing public domain content that boils down to "if we have a free version available, your paid version may not be allowed unless it's special."
Advert
Old 03-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #66
H-P
H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One law may hide another...

Hi all,

Elfwreck, Why i buy paper book and why i redo all the job even the text is online.

Because as a small company, that illegal to sell free work done by volunteers. With the violation of work law,... By this way, a publisher can't be in competiton with this kind of resellers ( full texts of one author for 1 or 2 $), that definitly an unfair competion.

The answer of Gweek, sound like the law in my country. Charity organisation, non-profit organisation,... which can use volunteers but can't do business like they was a classical company. there are always some conditions.

In some case, when a non-profit organisation can be in competion on one market, it must respect some rules ( first one is to be a non-profit organisation, and have some others rules, the cash redistribution with must stay in the organization, the manager of this kind of organization can't put the cash in this pockets, there are some volunteers which control that... They can't doing a direct competion, because they've this advantage with volunteers.

In some case,... but in this case, on the famous ebooks platforms.... there are too much people which do business with this human works done by volunteers in direct competition. That huge.

So that not a DP problem. When you do a business, you have to respect the law(s). That why i tall you DP is not the God law. You want to be a publisher based on non copyright textes, do your own work..... and call me back, if you sitll still sell the full texts of one authors after 6 months of hard work at 1 or 2 dollars.

In my personnal case, the first book that i published, is online, but i took 3 weeks to do it. It was the first version on one famous plateform. Now i'm in compétition with 5 versions, i don't know, why ! but all have the sames mistakes. And each time, the new version is cheaper and cheaper....Do you have an idea.

This ebook was the wellknow book of this author, and of course, i published others texts from the same guy, which aren't online.

Wikisouce, put a warning on the free texts: So selling text with mistakes, with missing text, (you don't know what you sell), when you cut and past, can be in certains situation a customer infraction. This kind of guy really don't care about the reader. Easy money is the only one motivation.

And epub's are often dirty ( please volunteers can you do a clean package with epubs and nice cover, ready to sell for this kind of guys)

Last edited by H-P; 03-10-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:32 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Look, H-P, you can keep saying that it's illegal as long as you want, but it doesn't make it true. The fact is, whether you like it or not, it is perfectly legal to sell a public domain text.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #68
H-P
H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H-P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Look, H-P, you can keep saying that it's illegal as long as you want, but it doesn't make it true. The fact is, whether you like it or not, it is perfectly legal to sell a public domain text.

May be you don't understand my writing. the subject is not about the legacy of exclusive right which expire, after a period and of course give some rights. And may be you don't know the intellectual property right...that's possible too.

Here you're talking about business practices that just a huge difference.

And you know what ! it's not illegal to sell tomatoes too, soo if you are in the Tomatoes business, you've some rules with workers...and more...

Last edited by H-P; 03-10-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #69
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This is getting just plain ridiculous.

Public Domain text can be given away, sold, traded like baseball cards, or folded up and worn like a paper hat. That's the whole point. Everybody owns it. Everybody... as in the public.

"Business practices" have zero to do with what anyone can and cannot legally do with text that is out of copyright. Period. Regardless of where they obtained the out of copyright text.

What actually is in the public domain (and which portions of certain works are out of copyright) may be in dispute--or vary from country to country, but that's a different discussion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-10-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-P View Post
May be you don't understand my writing. the subject is not about the legacy of exclusive right which expire, after a period and of course give some rights. And may be you don't know the intellectual property right...that's possible too.

Here you're talking about business practices that just a huge difference.

And you know what ! it's not illegal to sell tomatoes too, soo if you are in the Tomatoes business, you've some rules with workers...and more...
I'm not going to take any further part in this ludicrous conversation. SELLING PUBLIC DOMAIN WORKS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL. End of discussion.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #71
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Nobody is getting a competitive advantage from the work of volunteers, because the work is available to all. I can't see how that can be covered by unfair competition rules. It's a shared resource.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #72
H-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
This is getting just plain ridiculous.

Public Domain text can be given away, sold, traded like baseball cards, or folded up and worn like a paper hat. That's the whole point. Everybody owns it. Everybody... as in the public.

"Business practices" have zero to do with what anyone can and cannot legally do with text that is out of copyright. Period. Regardless of where they obtained the out of copyright text.

What actually is in the public domain (and which portions of certain works are out of copyright) may be in dispute--or vary from country to country, but that's a different discussion.

Come on !

If american or european company decide to create ebooks based on D.P. , use little childrens under 5, childrens who's working 12hours per days, and 7 days by weeks. (remember 1 dollars for full texts of one author like Platon). So that is a good solution to stay in competition.

Do you think that legal...Do you think that moral, do you think that a fair practices... Can you reply to me again : eh H-P, we tell you that is public domain text! we can do what we want ! Like using chidren slave. That P.D. Why are you so stupid H-P. Do like us, use slave, like that that fair competition (DrNefario).

Wake up.

Last edited by H-P; 03-10-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Stop it. Just stop it! Child labor laws exist outside and above the discussion you're trying to have. You're being deliberately obtuse, and it's getting quite silly.

Selling public domain texts is perfectly legal SO LONG AS YOU'RE NOT BREAKING ANY OTHER EXISTING LAWS IN THE PROCESS! I can't believe something as fricking obvious as that would need to be stipulated, but there it is.

So in parting, you're right... I'm NOT allowed to re-sell public domain text that I've handwritten using ink made from the blood of innocent children I've murdered. I concede the point. Happy now?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-10-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #74
H-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Stop it. Just stop it! Child labor laws exist outside and above the discussion you're trying to have. You're being deliberately obtuse, and it's getting quite silly.

Selling public domain texts is perfectly legal SO LONG AS YOU'RE NOT BREAKING ANY OTHER EXISTING LAWS IN THE PROCESS! I can't believe something as fricking obvious as that would need to be stipulated, but there it is.

So in parting, you're right... I'm NOT allowed to re-sell public domain text that I've handwritten using ink made from the blood of innocent children I've murdered. I concede the point. Happy now?
Child labor laws exist and Commerce law exist too, and Workers protection laws...too

So is it legal, than a business company can be in competition market buy resseling content done by free volunteers, no wages, no tax... Don't you think that this situation may be could "BREAK.. OTHER EXISTING LAWS IN THE PROCESS" of publishing industry ?

that is the only one subject since the first post.

Last edited by H-P; 03-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #75
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-P View Post
So is it legal, than a business company can be in competition market buy resseling content done by free volunteers, no wages, no tax... Don't you think that this situation may be could "BREAK.. OTHER EXISTING LAWS IN THE PROCESS" of publishing industry ?
It's entirely legal in EU and US to resell content from Project Gutenberg if that content is out of copyright in the place of sale.

You have asked the question. You have been answered.

If you have reason to believe that the answer you have been given is wrong, it is now up to you to present some evidence, not just ask the same question again.
Closed Thread