Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #1
basil_555
basil_555 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Is it possible to replace built-in battery in Sony Reader?

Or maybe to modify the device in such a way, that it could be possible to install a replaceable battery instead of non-replaceable?

Thanks!

Last edited by basil_555; 09-24-2007 at 05:25 AM.
basil_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The only obstacles to replacing the battery would be getting a replacement (we're not sure of a model number, so that might be ... challenging), and getting over any concerns you might have about opening the case on your Reader. The battery itself has a plug connector, so it's not soldiered in or anything.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
Looks like there are now 3rd party (not OEM but built to OEM Specs) batteries available for the Sony Reader 500 and 505 series:

These guys are cheaper at $25.95:
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...Reader+PRS-500

These guys are asking $41.95:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-prb-1-s..._campaign=Base

Anyone try these out and do they work well?

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a series of photos posted over two years ago of the disassembly and reassembly of a PRS-500 that showed the battery removal and reinstall as part of the group. I went looking for it and could not find it, NatCh is great at unearthing old posts, maybe he will find it for us. (My battery is at least 2.5 years old and may need replacing soon.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I found the below thread which contains pictures.

Hope this helps to collect information in one place.
Reader Internals 2.0 (pics!)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8426

Last edited by dreams; 05-08-2009 at 02:55 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Ereader Bob
Ereader Bob began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS 500, 505, ASTAK EZ Reader, REB 1150, Pandigital Novel
I replaced the original PRS-500 battery.

750mAh Li-Polymer Battery for Sony Portable Reader PRS-500 here:
http://www.smavtronics.com/750mah-li...r-prs-500.html

CODE: CS-PRD500SL-A Price: $16.99
Ereader Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
disassembly of a prs-505 on flikr: click here
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
bouligny
bouligny began at the beginning.

Successfully replaced PRS-500 battery

Thanks to all for posting this info. I just finished replacing my battery with the one from smavtronics.com. Only problem I ran into was that one of the tiny screws holding on the plastic side bezels seemed to be glued in and I stripped it badly. Dumb mistake. Finally found a combination of screwdrivers to get the screw out. It was up near the SD card slot and all the work on it weakened the plastic and the top part snapped off. No big deal though. I'll probably just glue it on. Hopefully I'll get more battery life out of this new battery. I'll report back if there are any issues with that. Thanks again for all the info.
bouligny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
Rhino476
Rhino476 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Batteryship.com is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNB View Post
Looks like there are now 3rd party (not OEM but built to OEM Specs) batteries available for the Sony Reader 500 and 505 series:

These guys are cheaper at $25.95:
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...Reader+PRS-500

These guys are asking $41.95:
http://www.batterymart.com/p-prb-1-s..._campaign=Base

Anyone try these out and do they work well?

Dave
I went to Batteryship.com and recieved the battery in less than a week. It was only $21.95 with no shipping costs. It fit in the reader with no problems and is working great. Thanks for the info. I use my reader every day for the last 5 years and feel lost without it.
Rhino476 is offline   Reply With Quote