Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
HSN officially details Nook Color Update & App Store in April

They claim:
Quote:
Coming Soon "Sneak Peek" Updates

HSN will have the "sneak peek" of the new Nook updates, which launches in April
The new updates will be sent out automatically if your device in connected to Wi-Fi
HSN customers will receive the update first

NOOK Apps

Shop the NOOK Store for a wide variety of fun and engaging NOOK Apps
Download all types of apps to get even more out of your device
Some of the exciting new apps include Angry Birds, Lonely Planet Phrasebook and Drawing Pad

Adobe Flash

Expand your web experience by watching videos that use Adobe Flash

Built-in Email

Stay connected via built-in email, just like you do on other tablets and high-end smartphones
No need to go through Internet browser
on their web site selling Nook Colors:

NOOK Color™ 7" Touchscreen LCD Tablet with Wi-Fi and eBooks
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Is this a joke? Are their customers that stupid?

HSN
Sale Price: $299.90
HSN Price: $379.95
Retail Value: $504.00
Shipping & Handling: $11.95

B&N
Sale Price: $249
B&N Price: $249
Retail Value: $249
Shipping & Handling: Free
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

HSN
Sale Price: $299.90
HSN Price: $379.95
Retail Value: $504.00
Shipping & Handling: $11.95

B&N
Sale Price: $249
B&N Price: $249
Retail Value: $249
Shipping & Handling: Free
My guess is that the added cost is for the 100 e-books on the micro SD card. They are probably the BN editions of public domain books.

At the sale price, it might be worth the extra $50 plus shipping for the convenience, at least for some people (not me!), plus HSN has a liberal return policy. And probably the biggie is that they offer the option to pay in installments, which can be the deciding factor for some people.

Edited to add:
They now have the list of preloaded books up. All public domain.

Last edited by Catlady; 03-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
OMG, Angry Birds on an ereader! The best thing about my kindle is if I grab it unstead on my Tab, I won't be tempted to play AB. But now I have it on my phone! Oh well, the battery life of either my phone or my Tab doesn't begin to match my kindle.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
More info...

The Why:

Quote:
William Lynch was Executive VP of Marketing and General Manager of HSN.com before becoming B&N's CEO.
and more specifics from the HSN website:

Quote:
"Coming Soon "Sneak Peek" Updates

HSN will have the "sneak peek" of the new Nook updates, which launches in April
The new updates will be sent out automatically if your device in connected to Wi-Fi
HSN customers will receive the update first"
and lastly, HSN.com will have live video, so you don't need cable or satellite.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 01:29 AM   #6
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

oops..wrong thread!!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I think gullible is perhaps the more accurate word.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
We had so many questions about this at work the other day. This is the definitive example of how businesses "stretch" the truth to make it seem like you're getting some great deal.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yes, what exactly are you getting for that "deal"? The 100 public domain books and what else? Does it come with any apps? Heck Angry Birds is worth at least... $0.99.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Maybe HSN will ship to Canada? Of course, I still couldn't buy NookBooks from B&N

I won't say B&N sucks, but they gave up on me (and other Canadians), so I'll return the favour.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Yes, what exactly are you getting for that "deal"? The 100 public domain books and what else? Does it come with any apps? Heck Angry Birds is worth at least... $0.99.

eP
Apparently it comes with eight apps, which will be available next month. At least that is how I understood the presentation I watched on TV.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote