Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
Calibrefan
Enthusiast
Calibrefan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
A big thank you

I've recently bought a Sony PRS-350, which offers an awesome reading experience, but it only really came alive when I discovered Calibre and the possibilities it offered.

I'd like to offer a big thank you to Kovid and the developers and to all who further contributed to this program with advice.

Last edited by Calibrefan; 02-18-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Calibrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
AlanY
AlanY began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibrefan View Post
I've recently bought a Sony PRS-350, which offers an awesome reading experience, but it only really came alive when I discovered Calibre and the possibilities it offered.

I'd like to offer a big thank you to Kovid and the developers and to all who further contributed to this program with advice.
second to that, great program. many thanks
AlanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Thanks are great, but send money

I am not part of the team, just a very satified user. Who sent money.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Smile Please accept my thanks as well

Kovid

Thank you so much! I've had 3 readers over the last several years: first a 505 sony (now defunct), replaced by an ipad last year. However, since I find reading on the ipad at night difficult, I just purchased a new kindle 3 this week.

I installed Calibre, and couldn't believe what I'd been missing all these years - it is by far the best library software I've ever had. It's excellent! And it is great to have just one unified ebook library.

Last edited by Victoria; 02-26-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're welcome
Old 03-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
ViktorShchedrin
Connoisseur
ViktorShchedrin began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
thank to Kovid and all

Thank very much to Kovid and everyone who participates in the development and helps beginners like me learn how to use the Calibre
ViktorShchedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Huisie
Enthusiast
Huisie doesn't litterHuisie doesn't litter

Device: none
I'd like to offer a big thank-you to ... my Mom!

No, not for the obvious stuff - at the sprightly age of 62, she went out and bought a Kindle.
This started the rest of my family off on an ebook adventure.
All my family are keen readers and I'm addicted (their words). I can't walk past a book store without going inside even if just to look at the covers.

I've been reading on PDAs for years, but e-reading never caught on with friends and family until my Mom got the bug.

Being the "I.T." buy to my family and friends, I am now supposed to understand all this stuff and make it "just work".
So far, there is an even split of Apple and Windows platforms, a selection of mobile phone platforms, a Kindle and an iPad (on the way).

I have a large and messy collection I have built up over the years. It has been easier to just run a search for a book and copy directly to phone, rather than tackle the mess and wrangle it into shape.

I have known about Calibre for years and visited these forums, but hesitated to take the plunge - too much like hard work!
Now, however, I have no choice but to bite the bullet.

I selected some books for my Mom to get on with, read up on the Kindle and showed her how to use Calibre to organise her library and transfer books to Kindle.
She was well impressed and has been telling everyone and showing off her new toy.

I have been having a lot of fun with Calibre since. I cannot believe how complex and yet simple it is at the same time or how mature it is as a product.

That such a product should be free and so well supported is eye-opening.
Considering how disparate, contradictory and conflicting sources and information can be (I'm learning), I'm amazed that anyone would tackle this, let alone so well.

If you do a search for managing ebooks on Google, everyone mentions Calibre.
I once read, a few years ago, that no-one would try to create such a program as, unlike TV and movies, book info changes too often.
I can automate management of my Tv + movie collection usong such programs as XBMC and Ember Media Manager.
Books, however, are republished, covers and publishers change, series are rearranged, etc., etc.
For instance, getting cover and metadata info for my copy of Jane Eyre was not straightforward.

My hope is that the growth of ebooks and programs like this will see accessible databases created and made available for us to get standard info - easier cover and summary selection, for example.

In the meantime, Calibre and its great fanbase make a lot of the impossible less so.
So, in case it wasn't obvious, a big thank-you to Kovid and this forum.

Of course, I can kiss my free time goodbye for the next few months, but hey - it's for family, right?
Huisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome I must say that when I started calibre it was to fill a personal need to manage my ebooks and reader, I had no idea how large/difficult it would become over time. Just as well, or I might never have started it
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You're welcome I must say that when I started calibre it was to fill a personal need to manage my ebooks and reader, I had no idea how large/difficult it would become over time. Just as well, or I might never have started it
Well speaking for myself (and I am sure others) I just want to say how glad I am that you did take the plunge - this one programs hands down has made my e-book experience that much richer. I find book readers to be very compulsive about how their collections are organized and Calibre fills a huge gap.

Thanks again Kovid - we are all benefitting from your need to manage your library.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #11
Huisie
Enthusiast
Huisie doesn't litterHuisie doesn't litter

Device: none
@Kovid
Quote:
I must say that when I started calibre it was to fill a personal need to manage my ebooks and reader, I had no idea how large/difficult it would become over time. Just as well, or I might never have started it
'Sfunny, I had the same thought when writing my msg above: "If he had only known..."
...but that was a scary place, so I opened a book and had happy thoughts.

@chilady1

I think you speak for a multitude: "We are the readers. We are Legion...and we use Calibre!"
Huisie is offline   Reply With Quote