Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Great experience at B&N store

I purchased an anti-glare screen protector for my NC today at my local B&N store. It is certainly refreshing to deal with a store that is primarily about selling books. They even have two people on duty at all times to demonstrate their NOOKs. Compared to an electronics and/or department store with clueless sales staff that cannot even pronounce "ePub" much less know anything about it or eBook readers, it is nice to see somewhat knowledgeable NOOK staff. They were nice enough to install the anti-glare screen protector for me. While she was doing that we talked about the NC and afterwards she turned on my NC to ensure the screen protector looked okay. She noticed several things like my multi-page screen background and the screenshots (screen captures) I made of the illustrated The Lost Symbol book so I could post them here on MR. She admitted she was not very techie and was amazed about some of the things I showed her concerning the NC. She was impressed, but I told her not to be as most of what I know about the NC I discovered from this forum.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
... She was impressed, but I told her not to be as most of what I know about the NC I discovered from this forum.
You don't strike me as the humble type.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Hmm, maybe I should've had B&N put the screen protector on my Nook. It went on easily enough, but there is a single speck that got trapped underneath and it mocks my OCD

I swear...it's like you need hermetically sealed environment and a pair of remote controlled arms to install those things.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Hmm, maybe I should've had B&N put the screen protector on my Nook. It went on easily enough, but there is a single speck that got trapped underneath and it mocks my OCD

I swear...it's like you need hermetically sealed environment and a pair of remote controlled arms to install those things.
She messed up the first one trying to install it. It had some bubbles that just wouldn't go away! But she got the second one on without a hitch. She was nice enough to give me another pack of them since the first one got messed up. It is definitely a pain as you have to clean the screen very thoroughly then be careful not to get any debris on the screen or the backside of the screen protector. With two cats inside, I knew better than to attempt to put it on at home!

I haven't had much time to read with the anti-glare screen protector on so I'm not sure how I will like it, but it definitely cuts back on the screen glare. I wear eyeglasses and without the anti-glare screen protector the screen was reflecting the shining parts so I had to move the NC around quite a bit while reading a page.

I have not noticed any reduction in screen touch sensitivity with the anti-glare screen protector installed. I was concerned about that as some have reported diminished touch sensitivity.

I had a shiny screened notebook a while back and the reflection was terrible. Almost like a mirror. I replaced it with a netbook that has a matt screen and I always get matt screens on my LCD monitors. I really hate having to look at myself (or through my reflection) when trying to use the computer or reader.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-17-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
So far I've found that bubbles tend to go away after a couple days. I had four smallish ones when I first put it on and three of them cleared up. But when the fourth one still lingered I took a closer looks and that's when I noticed there was a speck underneath

I actually ruined the first protector in the pack because I got confused which was the protector and which was the backing. When I realized my mistake, I had already put the protector down on the carpet and promptly discovered that I need to vacuum

I'm curious how the anti-glare protector works out. I went for the clear one because I didn't want anything to impact the visual quality of the screen, particularly when reading. So far I haven't been bothered by any reflections, but I haven't tried to use the Nook Color yet where it might be more of a problem than my dimly-lit apartment.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert