Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 05:00 AM   #136
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Saw this the other day (not an indie book) "he shuffled laterally to his right" surely shuffling to your right already implies lateral movement...
One could shuffle to one's right but do so diagonally rather than laterally. I see the terms as meaning diagonally = at an angle; laterally = a straight horizontal line.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:28 AM   #137
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Well maybe I'm just fussy but I though it was superfluous and made the sentence clumsy. Somehow it just broke the flow and irritated me
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #138
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
With all due respect I think you're nitpicking. One badly constructed sentence regarding climbing or the sound of gunfire (page 8 of this thread) doesn't make bad writing.

If anything, bad writing is consistent through the book. On the other hand even great writers have bad sentence now and then.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 AM   #139
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
If anything, bad writing is consistent through the book. On the other hand even great writers have bad sentence now and then.
Or even more. I, like many Dickens fans, cringe when I read the American portions of his novel "Martin Chuzzlewit". It's just appalling. Even great writers can write bad books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #140
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
With all due respect I think you're nitpicking. One badly constructed sentence regarding climbing or the sound of gunfire (page 8 of this thread) doesn't make bad writing.

Well that's how I am

The sound of gunfire wasn't mine btw, and I would say that the book where I came across the wall climbing thing was acceptable overall in terms of writing, but had enough clumsy sentences to be irritating at times. I prefer not to be irritated by my reading material

Last edited by Yolina; 03-14-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #141
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol, I know it wasn't yours. But it was the same thing as the example you gave.
Sometimes its not the reading material fault. Sometimes you sit down to read already irritated and no matter what you read amplifies that irritation
But that's only sometimes.

What I mean is our state of mind determines our tolerance for "bad writing" more often then we'd like to confess. We are not exactly objective computer like being are we.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #142
Yolina
Wizard

Well, the gunfire thing would have annoyed me too I just don't like it when the flow of a story is disrupted by something silly like sentences that aren't quite right and that could easily have been amended if only someone had paid a little bit more attention to details.

Last edited by Yolina; 03-14-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #143
Geralt
Witcher

Guess we are different type of people. It takes a hell of a lot more then a sentence to annoy me. I'm pretty laid back and chill. I have never cared much for details if the characters are great and the story is an awesome one.

I get too caught up in playing the book in my head as a movie, imagining the characters, places, and events to care for nitpicking.
When I read, its like I flow through the book. I don't stop to inspect single droplet of water. My mind is too busy getting carried away by the current of storytelling.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #144
Yolina
Wizard

I am rather laid back and chilled too most of the time, but I am picky about some things. I don't stop and inspect every drop, it's more like a drop jumps out and screams "I'm spoiling the flow"
Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I am rather laid back and chilled too most of the time, but I am picky about some things. I don't stop and inspect every drop, it's more like a drop jumps out and screams "I'm spoiling the flow"
Yes. Grammatical errors and spelling mistakes do that for me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote