Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #181
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
which is the reference that this detective story is making in saying that like Gaul, the window was divided into three parts. It's a reference which would be completely lost to most modern readers.
I have read De Bello Gallico in translation long ago, but I admit I don't read either Latin or Greek. One of the two types of secondary schools in the Netherlands giving entry to the university still teaches them (the 'Gymnasium'), but I went to the other one (the 'Atheneum').

I picked up some Latin in the years since (as any literate person and omnivorous reader will, I guess), but I wasn't ever taught it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #182
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. One classic example (no pun intended) is this sentence I came across in a detective story recently:

50 years ago, the reference to "Gaul" would have been instantly understandable to any reader. Today I suspect that I'm in a minority in understanding it. Anyone care to explain it?
I got the reference. Gaul was the ancient name for the country that is now known as France. And I have read the line in Caesar's Gallic Wars that makes that reference. I don't think it was so much the country that was divided as the people which seemed to divide themselves into three groups.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #183
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I have read De Bello Gallico in translation long ago, but I admit I don't read either Latin or Greek. One of the two types of secondary schools in the Netherlands giving entry to the university still teaches them (the 'Gymnasium'), but I went to the other one (the 'Atheneum').

I picked up some Latin in the years since (as any literate person and omnivorous reader will, I guess), but I wasn't ever taught it.
Amazon has a free copy of De Bello Callico in English translation. I posted about it not long ago.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote