Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Is there a way to have a custom font without jailbreak?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Is there a way to have a custom font without jailbreak?
Yes.

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...hite-no-hacks/
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I'm not the most tech savy person, can someone please tell me how to make the "USE_ALT_FONTS" file?

Last edited by sneakyspider; 01-10-2013 at 02:44 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm not the most tech savy person, can someone please tell me how to make the "USE_ALT_FONTS" file?
Create a blank text file then remove the extension.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
At first it did a auto reboot when I tried to access the font menu then I realize I didn't have the right set of fonts in. Readded the right fonts and now it works!

Does this mean we can add more than one custom font?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I must admit I miss my Amasis Font I use on my other Kindles. I am using Condensed Caecilia at size 5.
There is a very very simple hack to the PW & Touch to allow you to install your own fonts without needing to root or jailbreak. See the following post...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23#post2353723

In case it ends up not going to the right post, it's #8 in the thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That also works on the Touch with the new 5.3.2 firmware.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
At first it did a auto reboot when I tried to access the font menu then I realize I didn't have the right set of fonts in. Readded the right fonts and now it works!

Does this mean we can add more than one custom font?
Yes you can.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay I think my PW has had enough restarts for one day. Geesh! It took some fiddling but I finally got it to work. I had to rename my fonts to link to the same family using Font Creator. Not needed the old way but it works now.

I now have my Amasis back! I's so happy!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #25
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Okay I think my PW has had enough restarts for one day. Geesh! It took some fiddling but I finally got it to work. I had to rename my fonts to link to the same family using Font Creator. Not needed the old way but it works now.

I now have my Amasis back! I's so happy!
Yay, that's great!

Thanks too for your posts, JSWolf!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
MT Chinese Surrogate at the 2nd from the left size.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
let me see... helvetica, size 4
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
This is all very cool. But can I ask: is there a resource for fonts that've already been fancied up or modified for use? You know, otf or ttf files that have been optimized for reading on a Kindle? Or the Kindle Paperwhite with it's higher resolution? Thanks for any leads!
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #29
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
I know this is probably a silly question, but where do you find the fonts to put in that new folder? Thanks
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
This is all very cool. But can I ask: is there a resource for fonts that've already been fancied up or modified for use? You know, otf or ttf files that have been optimized for reading on a Kindle? Or the Kindle Paperwhite with it's higher resolution? Thanks for any leads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
I know this is probably a silly question, but where do you find the fonts to put in that new folder? Thanks
Actually, don't need to be fonts anymore optimized for eink with the PW. Even fancy fonts with small serifs and non-uniform thickness look great. Other thal finding any otf or ttf fonts online (there is tons of free ones) you can simply copy fonts from your computer. In Win7 for example, simply type fonts into the search in start - goes to fonts folder. Then open a font and pick regular, italic, bold, and bold-italic. Sometimes it will work for fonts that miss italic. Comic Sans for example works with only bold and regular - the italic shows up on kindle as well - think just slanted over.

One font I also like straight out of Windows is Tektron Pro - that is a font that has non-uniform thickness and non-straight lines. Looks great on PW.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote