Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
How Do I Uninstall Calibre Off Linux Ubuntu?

I have version 7.46 on my computer and I want to get 7.48. How do I go about uninstalling the 7.46 on Linux Ubuntu?
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
I have version 7.46 on my computer and I want to get 7.48. How do I go about uninstalling the 7.46 on Linux Ubuntu?
Uninstall is not needed.

Just run that long command line on the Calibre Linux download page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Uninstall is not needed.

Just run that long command line on the Calibre Linux download page
Hi,

I did that but when I open Calibre again it still says down the bottom that there is a new version available with a link to the site and the current version in the corner etc.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,

I did that but when I open Calibre again it still says down the bottom that there is a new version available with a link to the site and the current version in the corner etc.
Did you use http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux Binary Install (section) and NOT the distribution repositories
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you use http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux Binary Install (section) and NOT the distribution repositories
Yes.

Then it said in the terminal type calibre to run it and I did and it was the same version and not the new one.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes.

Then it said in the terminal type calibre to run it and I did and it was the same version and not the new one.
Did you Uninstall any prior version from the Repository (Use Synaptic, select completely remove)

Did the installer ask for (and you entered) the valid sudo password?

When you installed the 'binary install' the first time AND this time, did you specify the default location: /opt (simply press enter will do) or did you place it elsewhere?
Old 03-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
MorganM
Fanatic

Yeah I did and it even still has a really old version in there too. Yeah I entered the password. With the location:/opt I just pressed enter. Maybe I missed something somewhere? I mean it's pretty straight fwd lol.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It could be that there are some permission problems in /opt/calibre. I suggest that you remove the entire /opt/calibre tree (rm -fr /opt/calibre), then reinstall from binary. Your library will be safe unless for some reason you put it inside calibre's install directory.

You might also try a 'which calibre' to see where your system thinks the calibre executable lives. If that file is not in /opt/calibre, then check it to be sure it is a symlink into /opt/calibre.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic

Where do I go to find the (rm -fr /opt/calibre) and uninstall it?
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Where do I go to find the (rm -fr /opt/calibre) and uninstall it?
that is the command line to use (rm with flags) (type man rm in a terminal to learn what the various flags do )

Since /opt is involved, I think that command will need to super-user (sudo) privileges.
Code:
sudo rm -fr /opt/calibre
Old 03-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
MorganM
Fanatic

Oh ok, sorry I'm absolutely useless when it comes to computers. lol