Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #16
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almas View Post
Thank you! And ebooks and readers in Big W? Now that will be a change! I doubt they even know what they are at the moment. Quite sad huh?
Big W moves fast. Ours has been upgraded and now has an optometrist inside. All it takes is a little mainstream flow and wooshka.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #17
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Big W moves fast. Ours has been upgraded and now has an optometrist inside. All it takes is a little mainstream flow and wooshka.
Haha. Yup, ours has an Optical section in there now as well.

P.S - love your avatar of the kitty cat
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #18
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
P.S - love your avatar of the kitty cat
That's a baby photo of Mr M at 8 weeks. He is now 8 years old 3/3/02.
Love my Mr Kitty.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #19
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Fingers crossed. I hard that Dick Smith is jumping on the bandwagon too.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #20
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Fingers crossed. I hard that Dick Smith is jumping on the bandwagon too.
Maybe I should wait to get my reader

That would make it take longer and longer. And Sony Australia thinks you have two heads if you ask about an ereader
Advert
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #21
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
That's a baby photo of Mr M at 8 weeks. He is now 8 years old 3/3/02.
Love my Mr Kitty.
Very cute! My avatar is of my cat, Bella, at around 8 weeks as well. She looks totally different now! She's turning 3 in May
Old 03-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #22
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Maybe I should wait to get my reader

That would make it take longer and longer. And Sony Australia thinks you have two heads if you ask about an ereader
I wonder what the prices will be like for e-readers in Australia. Do you think they'll be reasonable, or will it still work out cheaper for us to buy them from overseas?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #23
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
I wonder what the prices will be like for e-readers in Australia. Do you think they'll be reasonable, or will it still work out cheaper for us to buy them from overseas?
Hardly Normal wants $400 for the iriver.

Thats getting there competition wise. But for some reason I am not interested in one of those. I live around the corner from them and haven't even popped in for a look. (What's wrong with me?)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #24
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Hardly Normal wants $400 for the iriver.
That's quite expensive. Maybe if more retailers start offering e-readers, then the market will become competitive. I wish Sony would start selling in Australia! I read an article that Samsung is going to release e-readers in Aus later on in 2010:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/2010-aussie-...-339301787.htm

So maybe by the end of the year, Australia will have made some progress!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:58 AM   #25
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
That's quite expensive. Maybe if more retailers start offering e-readers, then the market will become competitive. I wish Sony would start selling in Australia! I read an article that Samsung is going to release e-readers in Aus later on in 2010:

http://www.zdnet.com.au/2010-aussie-...-339301787.htm

So maybe by the end of the year, Australia will have made some progress!
Ooh its all happening. But I can't wait too long, I have run out of real books, and wanted to start ereading instead of buying more books. Maybe I will go to the library (hope my card still works)
Old 03-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #26
Almas
Addict

Quote:
Ooh its all happening. But I can't wait too long, I have run out of real books, and wanted to start ereading instead of buying more books. Maybe I will go to the library (hope my card still works)
Have you decided on which one you want to get? Or still tossing up between a couple?

Have fun at the library!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #27
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
I agree, a backlight would be handy. I have a lamp on my bedside so reading in bed isn't a worry for me. I haven't yet had the need to buy a clip on light. Haven't heard anything about the DSI.. maybe someone else might know something about it

I believe but don't quote me, that there will be an updated version of "100 Classic Books" but not a dedicated eReader software on the new DSI XL, if there is however it would be very interesting indeed
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
This is only half the problem I'm afraid. So long as the publishers are refusing to sell us e-books at reasonable prices, there will be no real incentive for hardware competition out there.
Fingers double crossed in a knot
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 AM   #29
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Congratulations and welcome to the world of e-readers! I've just started getting into it myself - and with the Sony PRS-600, too.

In my case, I was motivated by the fact of being an English speaker in a non-English speaking country (France). I had been making a couple trips back to the US each year, returning with a suitcase full of books to tide me over to the next trip (with the occasional orders from Amazon.co.uk) - but DH was starting to complain about the bookshelves overburdened with all my past purchases.

Was also thrilled to find that I can download news from "back home" onto the Reader, too, thanks to Calibre. (Do check that out if you haven't done so yet! It's a super little program.)

I went with a cover from M-Edge and their reading light, which isn't a clip-on, but rather tucks into the cover quite conveniently, both for use and for storage. Because I spend most of my day on the computer, I find the non-backlit reader is much easier on the eyes.

Anyhow, enjoy your new toy. I am certainly enjoying mine!
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #30
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
This is only half the problem I'm afraid. So long as the publishers are refusing to sell us e-books at reasonable prices, there will be no real incentive for hardware competition out there.
Fingers double crossed in a knot
I was thinking about bookshops offering ereaders and ebooks. And decided that in Oz they don't really want to contribute to their own demise, so whilst the mainstream aren't interested in ereading, they will keep it quiet.

But, those of us that are interested are in the main bypassing them anyway. Especiallly after getting the strange looks you get from DFs in the shops.

The same will happen to the publishers that do not get on board. They really need to do their sums or they will end up like the tobacco industry. Overrun with chop chop and crime gangs. Or is this taking it too far

Tags
australia, e-readers, oberon, prs-600, sony