Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #46
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's given me some good choices for my new reader, beside the usual Trek Fiction I read.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #47
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Excellent recommendations so far...

I love Dune, Eddings, and Ender's Game.

I re-read The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury constantly. How anyone could think of that chronology is beyond me. An excellent read.

The Star of the Guardians by Weis is also an enjoyable series.

Strength and Honor!
Kevin Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #48
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer.
Thank you for this link. I also checked out his page on Baen...http://www.webscription.net/s-70-kei...aspx?pagenum=1
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #49
ChopperHarris
ChopperHarris began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Sorry I'm so late to the party on this, but I would always recommend William Gibson's Neuromancer as a great introduction to cyberpunk. Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series is a good, but lengthy, look at the colonisation of Mars and has some very well developed characters. Overall, though, I think my favourite SciFi book is Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner which is a fantastic dystopian look at the problems of overpopulation and its implications for the planet. I'm not sure if this is legally available as an ebook though, so good luck finding it.
ChopperHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #50
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
As someone said earlier, Hyperion (by Dan Simmons) is an excellent book; it was one of my first sci-fi reads.

I also second Connie Willis as a great author. If you want some comic sci-fi, To Say Nothing of the Dog is a very funny time travel book.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #51
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Bookfiend, I'm reading Connie Willis' "Doomsday" at the mo. It's rivetting and has stimulated great conversation regarding the problems of time travel, such as: if someone travelled back in time and killed their grandfather, they could never have been born, which means they could never travel back in time to kill their grandfather!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #52
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
What about the Berserker by Fred Saberhagen?

I've read the short stories starting from 'Without a Thought' to 'The Face of the Deep' and albeit it was just short stories (some are connected with characters/plots), I found it pretty impressive for such short readings.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #53
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
What about the Berserker by Fred Saberhagen?

I've read the short stories starting from 'Without a Thought' to 'The Face of the Deep' and albeit it was just short stories (some are connected with characters/plots), I found it pretty impressive for such short readings.
I hate you! Seriously! As if I didn't have enough on my to-read list? I had so forgotten about the Berserker series.... but then you have to come along and remind me... I hate you!

Thanks for reminding me though, I definitly have to re-read those
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #54
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Bookfiend, I'm reading Connie Willis' "Doomsday" at the mo. It's rivetting and has stimulated great conversation regarding the problems of time travel, such as: if someone travelled back in time and killed their grandfather, they could never have been born, which means they could never travel back in time to kill their grandfather!
Doomsday is a great read! To Say Nothing of the Dog uses the same scenario, but really turns it upside down! You really can't go wrong with a Willis book.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #55
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
The Last Question. That made my head explode. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite
I hate you! Seriously! As if I didn't have enough on my to-read list? I had so forgotten about the Berserker series.... but then you have to come along and remind me... I hate you!

Thanks for reminding me though, I definitely have to re-read those
I didn't bother trying to read his other books. I tried reading Berserker Planet but the way he was describing the women in the ship at the start was getting kind of.... perverse? And I heard Brother's Assassin had some very chauvinistic comment at the end.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #56
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_Appeal View Post
The Last Question. That made my head explode. Thank you.

I didn't bother trying to read his other books. I tried reading Berserker Planet but the way he was describing the women in the ship at the start was getting kind of.... perverse? And I heard Brother's Assassin had some very chauvinistic comment at the end.
Well, those two are written in the late sixties and early seventies. One have to keep in mind that 40 years have passed
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #57
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
One fine recommendation for SF beginners is in this thread. Great stuff by Poul Anderson, now in DRM-free multi-format reasonably-priced eBooks. With no geographic restrictions.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #58
bobnelsonfr
bobnelsonfr began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+ with several apps
Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke and Robert Heinlein were the patron saints of SF. I'd put Connie Willis at the same level.

For freebies, check out the Baen Free library:
http://www.baen.com/library/
bobnelsonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #59
bobnelsonfr
bobnelsonfr began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+ with several apps
Both are very good. So is Passage. Actually... all of her stuff!
bobnelsonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #60
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Dangerous Visions, the influential anthology edited by Harlan Ellison, is available at Fictionwise in MultiFormat.
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b8...rlan-Ellison/?

Quote:
Included in this memorable collection of 33 original stories are 7 winners and 13 nominees for the prestigious Hugo and Nebula Awards. Lester Del Rey / Robert Silverberg / Frederik Pohl / Philip Jose Farmer / Miriam Allen deFord / Robert Bloch / Harlan Ellison / Brian W. Aldiss / Howard Rodman / Philip K. Dick / Larry Niven / Fritz Leiber / Joe L. Hensley / Poul Anderson / David R. Bunch / James Cross m/ Carol Emshwiller / Damon Knight / Theodore Sturgeon / Larry Eisenberg / Henry Slesar / Sonya Dorman / John T. Sladek / Jonathan Brand / Kris Neville / R. A. Lafferty / J. G. Ballard / John Brunner / Keith Laumer / Norman Spinrad / Roger Zelazny / Samuel R. Delany
The sequel, Again, Dangerous Visions is available too
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy books, recommendation, sci-fi