Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Interesting items about using a Kindle in a Borders Bookstore

This guy does the same thing I do .... I just haven't been caught at it yet. And, actually, it is not price comparison ... so they can pretty much give up using that argument.

Kindle Fun for the Whole Borders Family

I really like the Amazon Kindle. I have two, one as a loaner and one for personal use. It's a great way to carry stacks of books in a simple device for reading. Just recently on a trip to the U.S., I took the device into a Borders bookstore. There, at the new non-fiction table, I checked out the new books by looking at the covers, thumbing the book, etc, and -assuming I wanted it- ordered it on the spot via the Kindle's wireless connection. Lots of money saved.

After doing this twice, a store person came up, asked me what I was doing and after hearing my answer, got into a serious lather trying to stop me by explaining the store's policy against people grabbing 'pricing research'. I thought that was a bit of stretch but admired the attempt at some type of response.

I made the suggestion to the manager who happened to come along that maybe having a Kiosk in here allowing me to locally download electronic copies either with my hard copy or as an alternative would allow them to make some money off of me. Cut a deal with Sony for branded E-book devices they were hawking. I knew, of course, this person had no control over the chain.

The reaction was, however, funny and sad at the same time:

[Laughter] Right. I'm working for a technological backwater. If it was up to these people, we'd be using an abacus for checkout. Use your Kindle all you like, I have one as well. Just buy something, I need this job.

Fun, eh?

That's the entire article .... but the site is:

http://ricksegal.typepad.com/pmv/200...rs-family.html

Interesting thing is .... he's in Canada. So I guess he ordered his Kindle while here in the States and only uses the wireless while he's here as well.

Last edited by RickyMaveety; 07-13-2008 at 02:08 PM.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I went to the local Barnes and Noble to show mine off.....while I was there, I noticed a new Joseph Wambaugh, so I whipped it out and downloaded right there. What a feeling. This was at the central 'info' desk, and the guy did look at me funny but didn't say anything.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert