Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
MScottParkinson
Enthusiast
MScottParkinson began at the beginning.

Device: none as yet
Well i got one :) -..er..now can i ask a few questions?

Hey all, I finally got myself one of these..

Just a few Q's if you're all so kind.

Images. Is there any way to view the next image of a series rather than having to go back to the menu to pick the next one. I'm actually viewing comics like this as seperate jpegs and im much rather flip onto the next page then go back to the menu and select the next image.

Pdfs - the default pdf reader - is it good? Ie - i know there have been others made - is it worth it to try one of the custom made pdf readers or should i just stick with what i have..
MScottParkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
MScottParkinson
Enthusiast

Well since i just got it i figured id update the thing.
It says it can connect to the wireless network in the settings but when i try to actually do it it says it fails at the username/password stage.

I'm not even sure what username/password its talking about. Is it linking it to the irex site - cos all i had there was an email address/password and here its talking about email address/username/password.

I'm sure its something terribly obvious that'll make me look like an idiot..
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 04:56 AM   #3
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottParkinson View Post
. . . Pdfs - the default pdf reader - is it good? Ie - i know there have been others made - is it worth it to try one of the custom made pdf readers or should i just stick with what i have..
It depends what your needs are. Take a look at this post. You'll see links to the original posts that outline the additional features. You can keep this set of installers on USB or CF and chop and change versions at will. It is very easy to try these other versions out.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
Max
Connoisseur
Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad, DR1000s
Hi I got my Iliad two month ago, so far the default iPdf is all I need.

You can find the way to update your Iliad in the quick reference guide in the docs folder (you can access through the docs button) pag 10 - 11.
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
GavinK151
Enthusiast
GavinK151 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Well since i just got it i figured id update the thing.
It says it can connect to the wireless network in the settings but when i try to actually do it it says it fails at the username/password stage.

I'm not even sure what username/password its talking about. Is it linking it to the irex site - cos all i had there was an email address/password and here its talking about email address/username/password.

I'm sure its something terribly obvious that'll make me look like an idiot..
Yeah thats the irex login you need to access the IDS (download service) but I just entered my email address and password and it worked (under iliad settings).

All I got tho was the latest release notes since I seem to have to new firmware already.

BTW, one thing to watch for is using WPA over wifi - sometimes (i.e. always for me!) the handshaking times out and you get connection rejected. There is fix for this but I cant be arsed... just using a cable :-)
GavinK151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #6
BassBCN
BassBCN began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, iPod Touch, PSP
Quote:
Images. Is there any way to view the next image of a series rather than having to go back to the menu to pick the next one. I'm actually viewing comics like this as seperate jpegs and im much rather flip onto the next page then go back to the menu and select the next image.
Good question! Somebody knows something about this, please?
BassBCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBCN View Post
Good question! Somebody knows something about this, please?
If you open the jpeg with dillo and the filenames are a continuous sequence of numbers (i.e img001.jpg, img002.jpg, etc), the right arrow in the dillo toolbar will load the next image (I patched dillo specifically to do this, to view sequences of images).

The pros: you can pan with the stylus

The cons: you cannot zoom nor rotate.

To install dillo, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8870
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
One option is to produce a PDF version of each comic, see JE-Comics Converter.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
MScottParkinson
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses everybody - at the moment using the converter above pdf viewer seems to work as well as i need it to.
With regard to the connection issue - maybe i should just remove my username from the illiads settings as my password/email details are exactly the same both on that and irexs site but it still tells me my user/pass details are wrong. I'll givei t a shot.

Love it already btw - its freaky seeing a screen which just looks like paper
Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
BassBCN
BassBCN began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, iPod Touch, PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
If you open the jpeg with dillo and the filenames are a continuous sequence of numbers (i.e img001.jpg, img002.jpg, etc), the right arrow in the dillo toolbar will load the next image (I patched dillo specifically to do this, to view sequences of images).

The pros: you can pan with the stylus

The cons: you cannot zoom nor rotate.

To install dillo, see this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8870
Thanks Antartica, I try this
Even well, is bizarre iliad's cant read the jpgs in sequence without some trick.
BassBCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #11
Max
Connoisseur
Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Max has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad, DR1000s
Also you can create a slideShow with a manifest.xml file. Is explained in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=iliad+jpg
Max is offline   Reply With Quote