Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #586
C00LM4N
C00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Tx -> Rx, Rx -> Tx
and that should be 1.8 volt TTL levels.
If Rx is marked on the cellphone side, then the cable pin will be Tx.
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-P-W...ps_savvy.shtml
I don't know if it is cable or phone pinout.
C00LM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #587
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C00LM4N View Post
If Rx is marked on the cellphone side, then the cable pin will be Tx.
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-P-W...ps_savvy.shtml
I don't know if it is cable or phone pinout.
So try it both ways.

PS: That diagram you are referring to ** is not ** about a 1.8v ttl phone/cable - that is about a 3.3v ttl phone/cable.

Using the proper cable is a lot cheaper than buying a new Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #588
C00LM4N
C00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheeseC00LM4N can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So try it both ways.

PS: That diagram you are referring to ** is not ** about a 1.8v ttl phone/cable - that is about a 3.3v ttl phone/cable.

Using the proper cable is a lot cheaper than buying a new Kindle.
Thanks! Will order cheap USB-to-TTL adapter on ebay or DX and try one more time in the future.
By now I've bought kindle with broken screen for $24 and swapped it's main board to my kindle. Lost 3G, but I don't need amazon store and wikipedia, which are the only ones available over kindle 3G in Russia
C00LM4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #589
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
... In the mean time, here's something rare - though I guess that only die hard GN'R fans will really appreciate it.

FWIW, Kubrick 4.0 is on the way - progressing, but not ready for release yet (still rehearsing )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #590
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hopefully I will remember my ge.tt login by then... Yeah :\
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #591
antithesis
Avid reader
antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.antithesis is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle DX White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
a huge THANK YOU to everybody who provided invaluable insight
Yes, thanks for all the invaluable insight.

EDIT: TIL that invaluable means exactly the same as valuable, rather than the opposite. What bullshit.

Last edited by antithesis; 10-27-2013 at 02:33 PM.
antithesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #592
missangilish
missangilish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle & Nook
Could I use this to unlock nooks and kindles from demo mode?
I am not the most tech savvy person and purchased the following units without understanding that they would be stuck in demo mode.

NOOK COLOR 7" 8 GB TABLET Model BNRV200
NOOK COLOR 7", 16GB TABLET Model BNTV250A
KINDLE FIRE 8.9", 16GB TABLET Model 3HT7G
KINDLE TOUCH 6", 4GB TABLET Model D01200
KINDLE DX 9.7". 4GB TABLET Model D00801
KINDLE 6", 2GB TABLET (BLACK) Model D01100

From the posts I've read it surely looks easier to try to get a refund as it says right on them they are not for resale but in case they do not refund my $500! (Ouch) I am hoping someone can walk me through the process of getting them out of demo mode, or installing another version of firmware so they are at least usable.
missangilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #593
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missangilish View Post
Could I use this to unlock nooks and kindles from demo mode?
I am not the most tech savvy person and purchased the following units without understanding that they would be stuck in demo mode.

NOOK COLOR 7" 8 GB TABLET Model BNRV200
KINDLE TOUCH 6", 4GB TABLET Model D01200
KINDLE DX 9.7". 4GB TABLET Model D00801
KINDLE 6", 2GB TABLET (BLACK) Model D01100

From the posts I've read it surely looks easier to try to get a refund as it says right on them they are not for resale but in case they do not refund my $500! (Ouch) I am hoping someone can walk me through the process of getting them out of demo mode, or installing another version of firmware so they are at least usable.
those two, yes.
the Kindle DX - have to do it manually, lots of trouble
the rest - not our area of expertise - try another forum
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #594
spaceball1
spaceball1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks for this great tool, helped me to unbrick and jailbreak my K4.
spaceball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #595
ebooksfans
ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.ebooksfans is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle 3
boot kubrick.iso

1.grub4dos http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-ch...downloads/list
2.save kubrick live cd as \efi\boot\boot.iso in usbdisk,than
mkdir boot
cd boot
type * >KUBRICK_USBSTICK_DO_NOT_DELETE.txt

3.use grub to boot kubrick iso
root (hdx,0)
map --mem /efi/boot/boot.iso (hd32)
map --rehook
root (hd32)
kernel=/boot/bzImage initrd=/boot/rootfs.gz root=/dev/null lang=en_US kmap=us kubrick-stick
initrd=/boot/rootfs.gz
boot
ebooksfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #596
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I hope this question is not too stupid. I was given a Kindle 3 that had been dropped into a washing machine with the laundry -- really. The owner (an 82 year old man) had quickly realized what he had done and pulled the Kindle out within a minute. But the damage was done. He, foolishly, dried the Kindle off (it was in a cover), and tried to start it. The screen froze on the start-up bar image, and that was it. Attempts to charge it (another error) failed. No yellow light, etc. He handed it to me a week later, and I opened it, saw no signs of moisture, so I took out the battery and put in a charged one, and got nothing. I took it home, cleaned motherboard and connections with alcohol, and finally got it to charge to green light level. Plugging it in to my computer, everything looked normal, so I decided to try Kubrick. Ran it all the way through (about 2 hours). But, I noticed about 3/4 of the way through that the yellow charging light was out. After completing the Kubrick process, the Kindle was completely drained. I couldn't get it to appear on my computer when plugged in. Another overnight charge, and it is back. So, two questions: Have I actually flashed the OS if Kubrick completed, even with the battery drained? I got no failure message. And, is my problem a damaged screen if the screen is frozen with horizontal dark bars but no cracks on the reverse side etc? I'm thinking of ordering a new screen. I'd try a screen from my other Kindle, but, if you've ever tried to remove a screen from the faceplate of a Kindle without cracking it, you'll know this is best avoided. Could damage to the motherboard cause the frozen screen? Is there any way to tell? I guess I can switch screens and faceplates together...
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #597
knc1
Going Viral

The circuitry spacings are extremely tiny, you might not be able to see with the naked eye something bridging two circuits.

Try soaking the motherboard in a (special) motherboard cleaning solution.
"Alcohol" is not a good idea (tm) - too hygroscopic - it dries fast leaving any absorbed water behind to continue the damage.

Yes - if your going to switch things, switch the mother board between the two devices.
Screens are too expensive to replace.

Had soap or detergent been added to the washing machine before the Kindle was retrieved from its bath?
Some of those products are extremely corrosive.

This whole effort may be a waste of time if something like Tide was in the washing machine.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #598
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
are you just getting a "green light" and no "start up"

I (via some other guy) have about 10 of those hanging around.
Rip it open and shove a serial cable on. Test. Best advice I can give.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #599
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Well, a bit of a surprise. I switched screens, and the laundered screen works fine, after a little bit of weirdness. I had to do several restarts before the screensavers looked normal, and the Kindle text to speech was turned-on for menus when I restarted.

I just switched motherboards in the laundered Kindle, and nothing works. Kubrick is coming up...

Thanks.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #600
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Well, a bit of a surprise. I switched screens, and the laundered screen works fine, after a little bit of weirdness. I had to do several restarts before the screensavers looked normal, and the Kindle text to speech was turned-on for menus when I restarted.

I just switched motherboards in the laundered Kindle, and nothing works. Kubrick is coming up...

Thanks.
Different screens from the sound of it (the K3 shipped with at least 3 different screens during it production run).

So now go soak that motherboard in "motherboard cleaner".