Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Thibault
Thibault began at the beginning.

Device: None
Disabled links in Epub to pdf

Hello, here's yet another conversion question.

So let me explain my problem briefly:

I've got an epub file written with Sigil. This file contains inner and outer links. I convert this file to pdf thanks to Calibre. The generated pdf is perfect but the links, even if they look correct, won't work: they cannot be clicked.

Is there a way to make links work in calibre? Or to edit the generated pdf manually?

Some technical data:

I use Calibre's latest version (0.9.11) and Sigil 0.6.2. The epub html is valid. For conversion, I disabled heuristic processing, selected default input and output profiles, and left other options alone.

I must say that I'm really impressed by the quality of the pdf output, because I realize how complex are the involved processes. I already read every piece of data I could find about calibre conversions, and pdf problems. I also searched in the forum for a few hours before asking. At last, I'm asking this question because I found some people here stating that links were working in their generated pdf.

Thank you for your attention and time.
Thibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Not supported per calibre User Manual.

Quote:
Some limitations of PDF input are:
  • Complex, multi-column, and image based documents are not supported.
  • Extraction of vector images and tables from within the document is also not supported.
  • Some PDFs use special glyphs to represent ll or ff or fi, etc. Conversion of these may or may not work depending on just how they are represented internally in the PDF.
  • Links and Tables of Contents are not supported
  • PDFs that use embedded non-unicode fonts to represent non-English characters will result in garbled output for those characters
  • Some PDFs are made up of photographs of the page with OCRed text behind them. In such cases calibre uses the OCRed text, which can be very different from what you see when you view the PDF file
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Thibault
Thibault began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi Gunnerp245, and thank you for the quick answer.

I thought this was only valid for converting from pdf to something else, since this section is about pdf input.

I'll try to find another solution, anyway.

Regards.
Thibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Currently PDF output ddoes not support links, however I am in the process of writing a new pdf output plugin that does support links. Assuming I am successful a future calibre update ina week or two should have that ability.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote