Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Adobe Reader V8.1.0 adds Vista compatibility

Adobe finally got around to issuing an update for Adobe Reader to make it compatible with your shiny new Vista installation.

Features added in Adobe Reader V8.1.0:
  • Vista Preview Handler: Preview Handler is a new user interface for viewing PDF files in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista and Windows XP, as well as in Windows Explorer on Windows Vista. Preview Handler must be turned on in both applications.
  • Microsoft Office 2007 support.
  • PDF printer driver in Vista supports high quality PDF creation.
  • PDFMaker Office 2007 PDF Creation.
  • Option to create Quick and Simple PDFs from Word 2007.
  • New PDFMaker Ribbon UI in Office 2007.
  • Mac OS X version now includes Flash MPP for improved support for Flash files with multimedia on Mac OS.
  • InDesign Plug-In update supports communication with InDesign for Creative Suites 3.
  • Option to print documents to a FedEx Kinko’s office in the USA. English only.
  • Direct render of Dynamic forms.
  • FIPS 140 Support.
  • Multiple bugfixes.

Link: Download Adobe Reader
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I stopped using Acrobat Reader when it started taking 30+ seconds to start (After version 5 maybe?).

FoxitReader + PDF Creator are really the only way to go when you want to read and write PDF's on a windows computer.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What we get is more bloat and less useful functionality.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I admit I was kinda scared when I installed this upgrade. During the installation it added so much stuff to the registry that I thought it was going to take over Windows. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0 fills 200MB!

Btw, another nice free alternative (beside FoxitReader) is SumatraPDF.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
How about we all actually *try* out the new version before we start bashing on it? Yeah, i know, it's a novel idea

For starters, the loading times seem to have improved quite a bit. Takes all of 2 seconds to start on my machine, vs. 6-10 7.x took.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
How about we all actually *try* out the new version before we start bashing on it? Yeah, i know, it's a novel idea

For starters, the loading times seem to have improved quite a bit. Takes all of 2 seconds to start on my machine, vs. 6-10 7.x took.

Does it still install a "speed-launcher" into startup like the previous versions? Do you run vista? I don't really think that preloading all the possible applications you *may* use into memory is a good solution to bloatware.

But then again, I'm not too big on second chances.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

No, there are no speed launchers this time, and it takes the forementioned 2 seconds to launch only on first launch. It seems to stay prefetched or cached after that, though, and loads instantaneously on subsequent loads for a while until it gets flushed again.

But AFAICT, that's Vista's doing.

Sorry to disappoint you

Edit: Oh, and it doesn't seem to freeze/crash Firefox anymore and loads big PDF's a lot faster.

Edit2: And yes, i actually hate Acrobat as much as the next guy, but this time the code monkeys at Adobe seem to have done their homework

Last edited by orcinus; 06-07-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

orcinus, you sure about Adobe not adding the speed launcher anymore? After the upgrade, I ran Sysinternal's Autoruns where I had to disable it again (see screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader_sl.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	3875  
Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Adobe Reader has had a surprising amount of effort and innovation put into it with every release. It keeps getting faster, and I really like the new 8.x UI.

It does take up a lot of ram and hard drive space, so if you're on an old computer foxit might be the obvious choice. But I wouldn't be surprised if adobe reader is much faster at rastering on a modern pc and it does a great job of precaching pages too (hence the ram usage). And like I said, i think the new UI is really good. It's not only pretty, but well organized and customizable.

For such a mature product that faces so little competition, I'm stunned by the constant progress.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
orcinus, you sure about Adobe not adding the speed launcher anymore? After the upgrade, I ran Sysinternal's Autoruns where I had to disable it again (see screenshot).
Odd...
Frankly, i haven't even checked the registry - i just combed through all the active processes (including svchosts') and, since i didn't find anything related to Acrobat, concluded there was no speed loader this time around.

I'll kill it and see if it has any effect on loading speeds.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
orcinus
Gadgeteer

Nope. Just as fast. No visible changes in memory usage either...