Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Favourite "substitute king" story?

After re-reading A Prisoner of Zenda/Rupert of Hentzau recently, along with Double Star by Heinlein and The Star Kings by Edmond Hamilton, I'm in the mood for more swashbuckling stories of a ruler replaced by an unwilling double.

What are your favourites?

(edit: and of course I've read The Mad King by ERB but not recently...)

Last edited by radius; 09-13-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added last line
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Have you tried Royal Flash (George MacDonald Fraser's takeoff on The Prisoner of Zenda, with Flashman as the reluctant ruler)?
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Have you tried Royal Flash (George MacDonald Fraser's takeoff on The Prisoner of Zenda, with Flashman as the reluctant ruler)?
No, I've never heard of it. The irony is that just yesterday I was in the bookstore and saw the Flashman series of books for the first time and made a note to pick some up.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suppose the obvious one is "The Man in the Iron Mask" by Dumas, which is best read as a part of the complete "D'Artagnan Romances". Downloadable from MR, of course, for free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suppose the obvious one is "The Man in the Iron Mask" by Dumas, which is best read as a part of the complete "D'Artagnan Romances". Downloadable from MR, of course, for free.
I should have mentioned that I have read that too. I didn't really put it in the same class though, since that story is really about the Musketeers and not so much about the King.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It's not a "displaced by a double," but Michael Stackpole's Talion: Revenant is pretty much all the rest of that.

It's also not, unfortunately, e-available so far as I know.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote